User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inter-School Competition!

Well, today was my first time in a real tournament. I took part in some small ones last year but don't count them as real tournaments.

I'm playing singles and doubles in the under 15 category as my school only has 3 girls in the school badminton team. Somehow I got a bye(by?) for the 1st round, I think because the amount of girls who took part were an odd number? . In the 2nd round I won 11-0, 11-1. I've yet to play the 3rd round, it's this Wednesday.

In the 2nd round my opponent wasn't too good, her net play was poor and she didn't cover her court well. I took every opportunity to tap the shuttle down whenever she gave the shuttle high at the net.

Anyway, I'm glad enough that I can reach the 3rd round, this is my first tournament you see. I'll just be glad for last minute tips. I'll like to know what to do if my opponent has good and strong strokes, but is slow on the court and doesn't have stamina? I'd appreciate any advice.

IF(big IF) I can win the 3rd round, I'm in for quarter finals. That'd be a great achievement for me, a first-timer. But I'm not putting too much hope on that, I'll take one step at a time and concentrate on the 3rd round first.

I'll also be playing doubles this Thursday, have yet to see any of my doubles opponents. Will update you all later.
    Last edited by Joanne; 04-12-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Cappy

Any advice on how to win such an opponent? Good strong strokes, but slow on court and lacks stamina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you'd like to keep such opponents running to all four corners of the court to drain their stamina? If they're slow then you might like to pin them at the back of the court for two to four strokes and then play a deceptive drop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh! I think it's better that you ask your coach whom you paid to train you. Good strokes is not end-all-be-all, spirit/confidence is very important in singles too. Weak stamina? Lengthen the rally... just be sure that you have very good stamina before you do that. Slow around the courts? Just move your opponent around and do fast clears and drops to rush them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    Thanks Cappy

Any advice on how to win such an opponent? Good strong strokes, but slow on court and lacks stamina.
    Last edited by cappy75; 04-12-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is I'm not training tomorrow, called him up but he's got another class already and my game is on Wednesday!

Another thing. Is being nervous a usual part of the game? When I'm receiving (which means I lost the service) I'm not nervous, when I'm serving(I WON the serve!) why am I so nervous??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's your first formal competition after all. Very natural to be nervous. As you play more and more competitions, you'll be more relaxed under these conditions. People tend to worry when they think too much and too far into the future. Block it out and concentrate on the present. Just focus on playing each point and you'll be fine. Relax and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    Problem is I'm not training tomorrow, called him up but he's got another class already and my game is on Wednesday!

Another thing. Is being nervous a usual part of the game? When I'm receiving (which means I lost the service) I'm not nervous, when I'm serving(I WON the serve!) why am I so nervous??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha you won't believe the fun I had today. Never realised a tourney can be so fun. I played 1 game only but it was still fun. Some of the people around me told me I look very calm, but actually I was very nervous. But like a teacher said, once a few minutes have passed and you're warmed up, you're no longer nervous.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default A simple singles tactic

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/sho...light=diagonal

This is so effective a tactic, that lots of people don't understand it!

Previously, after some time coaching, I would play a couple of practice games with my coach (and get beat silly). One day Mag's article popped up - thought I'd try it out that day on my coach. Guess what? - my coach said my choice of shots was much better that day. Still got beaten badly, but felt a lot better about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh! That's great! But they're not always gonna be like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all get nervous in competition, just try to immagine it as a club game without putting pressure on yourself, it's just like playing the newcomer to your club.

Use the warm up to see what shots are not as good as they could be and bear this in mind for later on in the game. Stick to basic shots and try not to be too fancy, the easier it is the less can go wrong, the more technical the shot the more can go wrong!

If the opponent has good strokes then you should be aware more than usual of their speed on court, if you are faster and more sure footed then move them round all the corners diagonally (since that is the furthest on court distance) and then play a little unexpected shot with deception just to mix things up.

Don't keep playing the same shot or the person may get lazy and just use the odds to predict where the shuttl will go and just go and stand there waiting for it, this is generally what people lacking in stamina do, it cut's out the movement they have to do.

If they are at the back clearing then some slice drops and fast drops to bring them in quickly and then cross court net shots to make them move side to side and then a lift to the back, makes them move and wrong foots them because of the direction of the momentum.

I always like to add in a diagonal cross court clear from one corner to the other since the opponent will usually be standing to one side waiting on the straight one.

Cheung I cant access this article/link above
    Last edited by Dill; 04-12-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Copied

Mag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently reading a Danish book on badminton, and while it's focusing primarily on how to coach juniors, it's got some really fine chapters on tactics. Below is a basic tactical principle for singles that I thought I'd share because it is so simple to grasp and remember, and is useful for players at all levels. Many of you may already know it.

The "triangular principle":

If one wants to tire one's opponent, one should focus on placing the shots so that the opponent consumes as much energy as possible trying to return them. One way of achieving this is to make the opponent change direction after returning to his or her base position. The basic idea is illustrated in the diagram below: given that you place the shuttle in corner A, your next shot should be placed in either corner B or C, or again in A. This will force the opponent to make an energy-consuming change of direction after returning to his base position (red arrows). Note: It is tempting to place the next shuttle in the corner that is farthest away from A, the diagonal corner at D, but try to avoid this as it will allow the opponent to run straight through the base position without having to change direction.

So, some possible combinations of placements would be: A-B-A-C-C-C-D-B-D, or D-B-A-C-D, etc.

In short: avoid diagonal placements! (Which of course does not mean you should avoid diagonal shots!)
    Attached Images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The diagram

This is the corresponding diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, problem sorted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good advice from Dill

Well done in reaching the 3rd... All the best for the rest!

If your opponent is slow, or her fitness in question, just keep her moving either from the front to the back or diagonally... in other words, go for
    the four courners, bearing in mind not to keep any pattern... add in a few smashes from time to time to surprise her

In a nutshell, hit to where the opponent is not Always try and be
    aware of empty pockets...

Most importantly, have fun!

p/s: You know, there was this rumour going around when I was playing in
    the circuit years ago- Advice from the national players on how to
    decrease nervousness. Always go to the toilet and relieve yourself b4
    a match...
    then u won't be so nervous on court... hahahaha

you know what? to a certain extent, it does work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that article Cheung, will try it out tomorrow. I think it will work against any kind of player, right? Not just against players lacking stamina?

I've got to learn to control my shots... Yesterday I hardly made any unforced errors, only dropped into the net a few times. But I've noticed that whenever I play against players with strong and good strokes, I tend to make more mistakes (eg. hitting out, smashing out, even serving to the WRONG court!). Maybe it's just nervousness? Hehe will try haven's advice on the toilet part

Dill, thanks for your advice... another thing that I've noticed is that I tend to hit the shuttle TO the opponent, not AWAY. Must try and change that too...

Wow so many things to change in my game tomorrow... lol I'll see what I can do about it, will just try my best in whatever games I'll be playing in and of course, I'll have FUN!

From the previous records of my school's badminton achievements, the girls have rarely ever passed the 3rd round...

RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that plays badminton pm me ~_^
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck!!..and remember to keep calm unlike TropicalMouse
    and most importantly, have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast