Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Normal

Normal Regular Member

Seminfinal Day at the Super Series Finals in Dubai...

When walking away from the court after their defeat at the hands of the Korean pair, Mathias Boe was physically holding and loudly berating Service Judge Rohana de Silva.

At one point, the official politely pushed away the arm that Boe had placed on his shoulder.

That didn't stop Boe.

"Can't you see it? Seriously, can't you see it? I think you need to come [sic] back to India. I think you need to change your glasses."

Wow!

2. Normal

Normal Regular Member

There's a lot that's wrong with Boe's behaviour and comments.

1. You do not intimidate officials in any sport.
    2. You need to learn to accept defeat with grace.
    3. Rohana de Silva qualified as a badminton official much before Mathias Boe began his professional career.
    4. Rohana de Silva is not from India. He is from Sri Lanka.
    5. Rohana de Silva does not wear or need glasses.

I wonder what the BWF's Chairman and COO, both Danes, have to say about this Danish player's boorish words and behaviour which was transmitted live to badminton fans all over the world.

Shame on you, Mathias Boe.

3. Normal

Normal Regular Member

#3 Normal, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is something that will slowly happen more frequently.

Although not immediately apparent, the higher the prize money, the more often it will happen. Note that all the umpires and linesmen are volunteers. At some point, badminton will need professional umpires.

5. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I agree - it was shocking behaviour and pleased it was caught in camera for all to see. It is such a shame as I quite like watching MoBo play but their behaviour is awful at times.

If they spent as much time concentrating on their own game they would be much better off. I agree with Frost and Clark in that they don't seem to have the mental game to beat Lee/Yoo at the moment.

6. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

It was deeply irritating to me that when Mogensen decided to ignore the umpire's call for him to be warned against damaging the shuttle.
    I felt at multiple points they deserved a yellow card at least for unsportsman like behaviour.
    This exists and is used in almost all popular sports frequently to show that Bo/Mo's distaste for authority is intolerable. (e.g. Technical foul in NBA as prime example)

What deeply unsettles me is their consistently poor behaviour at tournaments. I vividly recall Mogensen hitting his rackets to bits on the court and stepping on shuttles at All England 2012 (not sure if this was caught on cameras though.)
    They are in fact the perfect examples of how not to act on court. Many rivalries in badminton are revered by fans due to the simple presence of respect, not only from spectators to athletes, but to between athletes themselves.

The point i'm trying to make is that they have no respect for officials, and they aren't only sore losers. They maximize their winning chance with gamesmanship (Moe's ridiculously long hold on serves, and childish antics), I say that's not nice, but within the confines of badminton. When they step off the court to continue and harass the court officials and tell them to get a pair of glasses, I not only feel as if they're poor players, but pathetic people. Petty, disrespectful and disgusting.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Umpires at this level are unpaid?

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This is indeed true. This part of what Boe said "come(go (his bad english)) back to India" is really disturbing. The rest of his antics and comments whilst he should get warnings etc is acceptable for me but this particular comment is a total level up. If the umpire had been from India then highly disrespectful but understandable, since he was not, this takes on a new darker connotation, which in no way should be tolerated in professional badminton.

9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Nothing new here, they have been like this for many years. Instead, we need more players like Hans-Kristian Vittinghus...Boe should learn from him.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

They get air ticket, accommodation and food allowance.

I can't remember when I saw the last yellow card in a super series. It's been that long.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Jens Eriksen was particular good at going past the the limits and getting away with things.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

KKK and TBH got yellow and then red cards (!) respectively within a span of 10 secs in their AE 2012 game against Hong Wei and Shen Ye when the score was 20-20 in the deciding game. So, obviously the MAS boys lost by 20-22. Trying to remember the umpire's name... was it van Hoerenbeck or something...

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thank you for pointing this out. but it is not surprising given it is coming from Matthias Boe. this type of behavior should be condemned and the badminton public should know something like this should not be tolerated.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i watched that snippet of it and it got my heart pumping. GC was nice to say that, "we cannot have players intimidating the officials".

i would go as far as some form of disciplinary action should be given to Boe.

at time 1:01:20

[video=youtube;TOxNOa-yZJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxNOa-yZJ4&feature=player_detailpage#t=3680[/video]

15. kruntil

kruntil Regular Member

maybe boe is right. the koreans serve too high.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yoo maybe, not LYD.

But the Danes were complaining LYD was double hitting his serve to cause the shuttle to wiggle. Absolute nonsense. LYD has been serving like that for the past year, and no one has ever complained.

17. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Ya Bro Visor.. you are right , if Lee Yong dae is at fault, The empire would have called fault , but there is none from empire!

18. Normal

Normal Regular Member

See 1:00:32 to 1:00:47
    Carsten Mogensen too had his say.

19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Exactly. What makes it even more ridiculous is that LYD's service action has not changed much if at all in all the time he's played and they as a pair have gone against him so many times in the better part of the last decade. So what now makes it different.

20. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    The arguments were childish and ridiculous...it's like saying "he must be cheating, because he beat me"...well, if I were the umpire, to that sort of argument, I'd simply say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTl1kozTz2A