Using Badminton Shoes for Basketball...pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by SSSSNT, Dec 20, 2014.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I currently play both badminton and basketball with tennis shoes. As the shoe is pretty old and beat up, I'm planning to buy a good badminton shoe that I also can use for basketball (no budget to buy both).

Anyone do this? Any drawback that you can think of? All I can think of is lack of cushioning and ankle support. I don't jump more or jump higher anyways inbetween the two sports so I should get away with the lack of cushioning. And ankle support is something that I believe do more harm than good. Even many current basketball shoes comes without ankle support.

Please share your experience.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

How heavy are you? If heavy, then basketball shoes would have better cushioning that you would need.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just be careful from the change of tennis shoe to badminton shoe for the initial couple of weeks until you get used to the different shoe.

As for other disadvantages, I think the shoe would wear out faster!

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

5'8 175 lbs

I don't jump much and when I do it's not high at all.

5. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    We have a member of our social club that plays basketball first in his high cut basketball shoes, and then catches bus/walks to badminton to play in the same shoes. (So his shoes would be very dusty when they step on the badminton court!). I'd guess he's quite heavy as well probably around 190-200lbs same as me.

In terms of badminton play, he seems to play quite well in the basketball shoes so I wouldn't think it was a problem using them. I did give him a pair of tennis shoes to add into the mix but I haven't seen him in those yet.. ;)
    Anyway, it really boils down to the comfort and whether they hurt after playing badminton/basketball for any length of time.

6. Barca

Barca Regular Member

I think you have misunderstood his post.
    The OP is seeking advice for badminton shoes being used for basketball.

7. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Yeah my last point was regardless of what shoes he uses as long as his feet feel comfortable

8. visor

visor Regular Member

From what I recall of others experiences and posts, if you're on the heavier side, basketball shoes (like Nike Kobe 7's) provide better cushioning.

But in the end, basketball shoes are more cushiony because the sport involves a lot of running back and forth. Whereas badminton shoes are less cushiony so that they are closer to the ground for fast footwork involving a few steps in each direction around the court.

The compromise of using basketball ball shoes for badminton is that the additional height may cause ankle rollover injuries. Whereas badminton shoes used for basketball would cause early fatigue as there's less cushioning.

#8 visor, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

That makes sense. Though I wouldn't call it 'early fatigue' as a lot of runners run barefoot nowadays and they don't seem to experience this fatigue. I'd say more chance to pressure and injure your knee if you run with wrong technique. Lord knows we don't pay attention to running technique during a heated basketball game while a runner has all the time to adjust his technique. :p