Shuttlecocks???

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by ooKmonkey, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ooKmonkey

ooKmonkey Regular Member

Hi
    which type of shuttlecock is better for a beginner?? slow or fast??:confused:

Cheers

2. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I would say neither since playing with either of them can throw your timing off when you play with shuttlecocks that are of the appropriate speed for your region. But if you want to work on your strokes I would guess slow ones, or if you want to work on your speed, reactions, and footwork use faster ones.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: welcome to the forums :)

3. ooKmonkey

ooKmonkey Regular Member

Thanks for the Info:D

and Cheers for the welcome:D

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    are u thinking of feather or nylon?

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    For beginners, I would recommend normal ones. Plastic or feather is up to the budget, but I like feathers more :)

6. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    nylon

You can choose some nylon shuttles at first, coz nylon usually has and "unnormal speed" (usu.faster), thus you can make some "powerful" hits(in fact is the shuttle flys more far)

And when you pay more attention to your game...change to normal speed feather.

7. vincenterika

Roamer
    Yonex Mavis 370

After 6 years of play I want to try some "high class" nylon shuttles besides feather.

I wonder how well nylon shuttles can perform(Suppose we buy the most expensive nylon shuttle, can it comparable to worst feather shuttle?)

So I bought half dozen Yonex Mavis 370 (Blue Cap)
    Due to Yonex's info, Blue Cap means normal speed.

Now Hong Kong is near Summer, indoor courts with air conditioner is about 20C,but I discovered the Blue Cap Mavis 370 is still too fast...

So today buy another half dozen Mavis 370, this time is Green Cap, means slow. Will try tomorrow... :eek:

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    blue mavis 300 is slower than blue mavis 370 for some reason......try them if u want something slower, and cheaper:)

9. vincenterika

Roamer
    Thx SheldonZhang !

I'll have a try.
    Why I choose Mavis 370 coz it's the highest class Yonex nylon shuttle in Hong Kong...(Japan has Mavis 500 but HK...doesn't provide)

10. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I play both feather and Nylon. I just don't understand why people say feather is heavier and easier to brake your string than Nylon.

Nylon is indeed more durable but feather feelign is so smooth and much more precise especially at higher tension.

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i played with feathers at 20lbs....and i suppose they were not hydrated properly or anything (just took them out of the tube and played with them) and they were very heavy, sent noticeable vibration down me arm etc....I guess i'm just used to nylon ones:) not good enough to play with feather ones anyway...keep mishitting and slicing the shuttle:(

12. vincenterika

Roamer
    Yes...I play feather at 99% times...

My dream is.........
    One day brands can make nylon shuttles that can comparable to feather...

Or we can say,can produce some best nylon shuttle that comparable to worst feather shuttle.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think that day may soon be coming given the rate we kill off our poultry stocks thanks to Avian Influenza:(. Feather shuttles are very expensive in North America comparing to Asia:(.

14. BoboTheBadder

Student
    Tell me about it. My dad bought a box of 50 feather shuttle tubes for less than $200 back in China. Think he's going to bring home 2 or 3 boxes this time around.

15. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

hmm having played badminton for so long...i always wonder why people play with nylon shuttles? in singapore we have always only known feather shuttles..nylon shuttles were something we used when we were 5 years old or something, just to hit around. To a certain extent, the general consensus is that nylon shuttles are inferior and not even considered a shuttle in these parts.

anyone care to explain the advantages of nylon shuttles?

cheers

16. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Well The Biggest Reason I think Why People play with Nylon Birdies are jus Cause of the Price and the Durability of the Bird. Thats why my friends and I play with them anyways. Well, since you play with feathers for so Long, im sure you know that they Get Busted up every Couple of Strong Smashes, and you'll properly need 2-3 to finish a decent game, and Mishits jus KOs the Shuttle Just like that. But really i'd rather play with Feathers, they feel WAY nicer, although the Nylon on's aren't bad neither.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Like Yipom mentioned, it's cheap and durable in N.A. Performance-wise, it gets faster the longer it's used because the skirt deformed during flight. If it weren't for the price, we would all be using feathers:(.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's less than $4 per tube? I think u r referring to USD, but still cheap. Wondering which brand/model u got. If possible, a review about the quality/performance?

19. vincenterika

Roamer
    Buying in China is cheap

Yes that true.......shuttle in China is cheap...coz ppl earn less...so the market price in China cann't be too high
    But not in HK. :eek:

I know...Nylon cann't be considered as serious as feather shuttle in terms of correct speed/flight and feel... :eek:

I just hope one day we can make synthetic shuttle that catchs most advantage of REAL FEATHER shuttle...Then the price and supply will not be affected by accidents, like Asia Bird Flu...ect...

In terms of Enviroment friendly... :p :p :p

20. BoboTheBadder

Student
    Yessir that's in USD. I'll try to post a review on the name/brand when I go home in a couple weeks. My dad knows some people/coaches on provincal teams in China and I guess a coach told him to buy those ones, so they should be decent.