Blocked Holes

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by PinkDawg, Dec 31, 2014.

1. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hey everyone,
    I remember Kwun's popular video about getting through shared holes. Lots of companies are increasing the number of holes, including yonex (the top holes tend to be blocked). Does anyone have any tips for these? I have to string a lot of rackets with blocked holes and sometimes it's a pain. Thanks! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(:crying::crying::crying:

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Put a little piece of waste string "under" the blocking main and use it to pull (gently) the string out of the way when threading the cross.

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
  4. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Same with me!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i know some pro's just jam an awl behind the string to create an opening. I am always scared to do that as once I did and the string snapped. that's the worst time to have to redo the whole string job.

I have these short (~10cm) ZM62 in my tool tray. they are used as described above posts, to displace the main string a little to expose the blocked holes.

depending on whether the racket is a troublesome one or not, i will either insert it when I tighten the mains or wait till later.

6. KraziexViet

KraziexViet Regular Member

try rotating the grommet 90 degrees, or just replacing it. this will significantly ease up the amount of force you have to use to unblock the holes

7. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I do this same approach as well when a cross grommet is blocked by a main grommet covering the hole.
    I only use the tooth floss method when threading a cross through a shared grommet.

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I'm very glad I asked this question! I didn't know there were so many techniques already out there for blocked holes. I will keep the string pull method in mind, and the floss method in store for shared holes! Thank you all so much! :D :D

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I always use the piece of scrap string method, except for the VTZF2. It can save tremendous a amount of time and I lose at worse 3-5 seconds per piece of string.

10. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I do like the creativity in the technique. What is different about the VTZF2? Are the grommets staggered?

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Nah it's just that it's so well made with the new special grommet strips that the strings are never blocking the holes.

12. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

This one isn't.

IMG_20150101_113610_hdr.jpg IMG_20150101_113545_hdr.jpg

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Some are blaming the MX series for it's pattern, but these 88 and 96 holes Forzas are a pain in the a... to string.

14. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    But it's all part of stringing, if you know how to string you will get around it. Ok it wil take a little longer but if that's all, it's not a worry as long as it's done properly.

15. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The 96 holes are very difficult to string... I would only find utility in having higher apparent tension if I played very consistently and knew what tension I would want for a long time (or if I wanted to use ZYM62, hehe).

However, I must disagree with the 88-hole Forza rackets. If you count, the number of crosses and mains are the same, and with the new techniques I just learned here, they won't be a pain to string with using ZM67 :D:D The main part of the 88-hole system is not pulling the frame in two directions, like what happens on shared-hole rackets. I use the same amount of string to string the 88-hole Forza rackets and other conventional rackets.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I strung a couple of Forzas and use MX80 for years. Tbh the 96 holes are not my favourite rackets for stringing. I done them, and if you have experience with them, they are ok, but not as easy like a 72 or 76 holes racket because you have a lot of blocked holes. The tooth floss method it the only way to solve these issue.

17. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Never used it, I have always put in a piece of old string when doing the mains so I can ease the string, blocking the hole, out of the way. This method also stops the strings rubbing against each other when puling through the hole.

18. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
  19. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I appreciate it. I'm glad to say that I successfully performed this technique.