Singapore - Online Purchase of Yonex String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by stann, Jan 1, 2015.

1. stann

stann Regular Member

Looking for career in Ho Chi Minh City now
    Hi All

I just made a purchase of Yonex string from (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Yonex-String/509046_258632922.html).

Has anyone bought strings from this shop before? The rating seems good, but as long as buying from online China supplier, there will be a 50% risk that it's not authentic!

Does anyone has any other online shop to recommend?

I've got no idea why I break my string so easily. For the past two times I string, I used it for two time each and it broke. Sourcing for cheaper way to re-string. :(

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I would say they're 100% fake, all their prices for strings are the same , usually depending on the string the price varies and aliexpress is known for fake items.

3. stann

stann Regular Member

I guess so, but no harm trying. I will update on the quality of the string once I get to try them.

4. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    In my opinion , only 3 online shop, I can trust, that is Chris Elink sports, Hongkong mybadmintonstore and china bbeshop.

5. alagumanikandan

alagumanikandan Regular Member

Try changing the Grommets of your Racket, it might stop the string from breaking easily.

6. stann

stann Regular Member

I strung BG66 from Chris Shop @ Amk for S$18. A dollar more expensive than Hougang Sports Hall. That's the most recent string I broke. Haha.

Thanks for the recommendations!

7. stann

stann Regular Member

I guess I broke my string so easily because I hit the corners quite often =/. It is a new racket, so the grommets should be fine. (Anyway I don't know what grommets is. Lol)

8. charlie_lee

charlie_lee Regular Member

Being a frequent online purchaser of stuff from China, I can SAFELY tell you that what you have bought are DEFINITELY FAKE. When the parcel arrived, just throw them away, don't even think about stringing them to your racket because they will severely damage your racket frame and the saving you got from buying them from aliexpress IS JUST NOT WORTH IT.

If you frequently break your string, string at lower tension (below 24lbs), improve your skill or change them to a thicker string (like Gosen G-Tone 9, Yonex BG 6 etc), there are no so-called "cheaper" strings for you to buy.

Just one last thing, next time, don't ever buy stuff from aliexpress.com, NEVER.

9. stann

stann Regular Member

I do buy many things from aliexpress and they more mostly fine. Just that I haven't tried getting any badminton related items from there before. On a side note, I do check on reviews and feedbacks from other user before making any purchase. Almost all the reviews left to the different items the seller sell are good. I guess it's called a "calculated risk" I'm taking here.

I did consider taking up thicker string however I know that the feel of it won't be as nice as those thinner ones (I have one racket with BG65 for 5 years and it's still intact. Not using it anymore though).

Logically speaking, I don't see how it will damage my racket. If the string is fake and doesn't hold the tension, it will just break right? I'm thinking of going for 25lbs this time as my last was 26lbs.

Thanks for your advice though. =)

10. charlie_lee

Yeah I understand what you said completely regarding user reviews and feedback. To make it simple for you, I'll explain like this, in essential, Aliexpress is English version of Taobao which include both reputable and bad seller. Therefore, for those purchases you made earlier, you might have been lucky enough to purchase them for reputable seller, made possible by you checking their review and rating beforehand.

However, for this batch of payment, I am very certain, to a degree of betting it, that you are purchasing a batch of imitate Yonex String which can be easily found in even cheaper price in TaoBao, as shown below.

http://s.taobao.com/search?initiati...dio_all%253A1&filter=reserve_price%5B%2C15%5D

As you can see some of them can cost as low as lower than 1 SGD and they are "gold seller" with good review but that doesn't mean that in anyway their strings are authentic in any way. Although checking product review might be a good practice before purchasing something, but sometimes you have to keep in mind also normal price of a product and be wary when the prices drops too low, this is also part of "calculated risk".

For the part of fake string breaking racket frame, I can honestly tell you that I DO NOT have a credible source for this, however, according to one of old stringer that I used to visit, he told me that fake (normally China) string needs a higher tension to achieve desirable tensions, for example, 31lbs is needed to achieve a string tension of 28lbs, therefore contributing to the damage of racket frame. This is a statement that I am not sure of but I am not willing to take the risk for such a small saving.

11. stann

stann Regular Member

Hopefully you are wrong this time =/. So I won't waste my 20usd. Haha. Went to see the online shop Ferrerkikko recommended, the price is about 4-6usd/string. I guess maybe the cost for string is not high, bulk of the money goes to the labour, which cost around 10SGD to get the shop to string it for us.

After consideration, I think I'll string my 2nd or 3rd racket and try it out first. Replace my BG65 string. Hahahaha.

12. stann

stann Regular Member

I heard that the method of tying it will affect the durability too.

4 knots vs 2 knots.

I was told to try with 4 knots as it's more durable and the tension won't loosen out that easily.

13. charlie_lee

Based on my experience, I somehow felt that Japanese string lasts longer than their SP variant. If you are interested, head over to this website http://shuttle-house.com/en/index.html and browse around, if you want to further save on the shipping, you can ask them to send your string using small parcel, which costs lower but is without tracking ability.

If you have any enquiry please email them and they will reply you promptly and their service is very good also might I add.

14. stann

stann Regular Member

Noted with thanks. Will try JP string next time. (they are quite ex though)

I just string NBG98 25lbs, so far so good. Lasted two games already! Broke record! LOL!

Anyway the strings I ordered from aliexpress has shipped out. I think they will take 3weeks to deliver bah. FOC shipping always take forever.

Probably I'll update on the string quality in Mid-Feb. Will share again then!