BS LYD head shape changed after strung

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by dsmbooster, Jan 5, 2015.

1. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    my stringer use new electronic victor c 7032 string machine, @ 24x24 lb, on my BS LYD, with bg 68ti. he started knot at B8 and worked toward b 12 first then to the left.
    the first time strung, the head is out of proportion, one side is straightener the opposite side is more curving from B6 to b14, from visual inspection. I asked the stringer to cut the knot and release the string, weaving a new set of string on, in the mean time, he strung a BS superwave 35, this frame look and feel stronger than lyd, and this racquet look perfect after strung. so it's not the weaving process or problem with the machine. Then he started to restring my racquet, after tied off I d looked before release 6 supporters, the frame deformed like before. after release the racquet, was like the first time strung. then I removed the string again.
    what could be wrong with the frame? is this normal with bs Lyd? as I read before, lyd had quality issues?
    there'r few paint chips on the frame but notthing really serious or hairline crack.
    if I string proportional method, will it help to eliminate this problem? or will it break the frame? but the head is so weak compare to other racquets like APACS
    thanks all for your comments

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If it is notably asymmetrical (left/right) then I would make a fuss about it, but never use him again. It is clear he is not a good stringer.

As to where he ties the knot on the mains, there should be a cross string at B8 (iirc) with the victor pattern so I end up tying the knot elsewhere - e.g. B7.

It seems to me that he is tensioning the mains on one side of the racquet before doing the other. Most good stringers will tension one string per side, alternating left and right to balance the load.

Not only will his method distort the shape, it puts huge stress on the frame such that there is a big chance it could crack - particularly if there is any underlying fault with the racquet.

You are lucky that it is the strong BSLYD frame, if it was say an ArcFB, I might have cracked already.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Got a picture?

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Despite what machine he uses, his stringing technique is bad. I wouldn't string again at him or if he is your only source I would give him instructions to alternate left /right per each string.

5. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    but right after the first time he strung my racquet, he went on with victor superwave 35 and the frame is the same as unstrung. also he did with others racquet too, such as yonex, and other brands,
    can it be the BS LYD frame is weaker than others? I have a dropweight machine, when I restring my racquets, I always start in the middle and do 2 strings on one side, and switch to other side.

6. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I would need a picture of the deformed racket.

However I would need all the facts before blaming the stringer:
    What was the stringer's technique for the mains?
    1) left to right? => BAD
    2) start from middle and alternate left and right side? => correct way (the method u specified)

If 1 was done.... string your own rackets or find another stringer.
    If 2 was done.... you may want to inspect your racket and see where it is deforming. There may be a crack.

Just my 2 cents.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I've had this happen on a Yonex racket where the racket looked slightly more bent on one side than the other.

After inspecting it and drawing the contour on a sheet of paper, I concluded that it was an optical illusion, probably from either the background or the racket's graphics

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I understand this, especially with racket designs like Z-Slash, but BS-LYD is a vertically symmetric design, so I doubt it's a visual effect.

At 24x24 tension, I would think that a defect in the racket would contribute to the problem described, but if you certainly can't find any at all, I would see if a different stringer can string your racket with acceptable results.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think the visual inspection needs to backed up with a more objective analysis :) unless it is blatantly obvious. Hence my request for a picture.

I agree with yan.v - an optical illusion is possible.

10. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it's opptical Illusion, since there'were 4 people inspecting it.
    I closely look at the frame , find nothing wrong, and rotate the grommets too (eventhough it doesn't have anything to do with bending frame)
    factory recommend tension is Vertical = and horizontal 30lb

11. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    this picture is better show the frame bent, you can't see much distort from the picture than real life, it's alot more, just make me want to cut the string and save the racquet.
    my conclusion is the stringing technique is bad, distribute uneven tension across the frame, but for the same method used on others racquets had not changed shape, lead to believe the bs lyd is weak=>affected by faulty stringing technique=>BENT
    [​IMG]

#11 dsmbooster, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    It doesn't seem bent to me. The red line is the racket axis.
    Untitled-1.jpg

Using Photoshop, I also put guides on the left and right sides of the frame as well as in the middle, and the guides were exactly the same distance apart. I also painted the contour of the frame on one side, applied a symmetry and put it over the other side and it was pretty much the same.

Granted that it is a picture and not the real thing, but everything in the picture seems ok (frame shape wise). The strings are atrociously not straight and the knots aren't cut ?

As for 4 different people inspecting, that's what happened with my racket too. A friend of mine told me the racket looked more round on one side than the other and I didn't think so. I've always had a very hard time seeing optical illusions because my eyes are really bad. So I asked 2 other friends and they thought it seemed more round on the same side too. So I proceeded with a more objective inspection and concluded it was not.

If it is indeed bent, then it is a very good occasion to say that it isn't because someone says "I can string" or "I'm a good stringer" that it is the case. Stringing is like badminton (in Canada anyways), everyone thinks they're good because they've never seen the real thing. The reality is that maybe 1-2% of stringers are good stringers.

13. mkm_player

mkm_player Regular Member

So true.
    Went to watch the Toronto Open 2015 last weekend. Saw a few instances of bad sportsmanship from the "good" players getting their asses handed to them by some new unseeded and very young players from Indonesia.

14. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Agree with yan.v The racket looks fine but the strings have not been straightened correctly after stringing, the longer you leave them like that, the more settled they will be in incorrect positions and then will want to stay that way even if you straighten them after. Rule of thumb, always straighten the strings straight after you complete the string job.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There is nothing permanent but change.

15. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    this picture lies, in fact the racquet rounder lower quarter of the head, and straightener the whole opposite side, but in these pictures we hardly notice any differences? I thought so when I upload these pics too, that's y I posed 3 different pics but in reality It deformed alot more, maybe i took it at wrong angles? even the stringer said it's bent a bit, while he checked with other racquets strung before , during (strung twice) and after my racquet, none of them deformed in anyway. therefore I concluded BS LYD frame is weaker than other frames (at least 3 strung in the store, 1 bs superwave 35) follow by bad technique of stringing (from right to left). while other racquets did not affect by the same technique. I'll bring to another store tomorrow and let's find out what's the reason behind it.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Now that is what I call a more objective method of assessment.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Taking a photo of a racket and trying to do any type of visual and geometric analysis is wrong to bring with. I can draw a perfect square or circle on a perfectly flat surface and be able to distort it by mere perspective distortion using a camera.

So Unless the equipment used to take the picture is calibrated and the camera is perfectly aligned, i think we are wasting our time here.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Holding the racket in hand and visually inspect the racket is also inaccurate. The human eyes are very much inaccurate when it come to detecting geometric shapes and the presence of strings are a prefect way to create visual illusion.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The only way is to take a ruler measurement or trace the shape of the racket.

20. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    I restrung it again today, same visual inspection, the racquet looks fine this time. I'd asked the stringer to start from the centre, but she said she preweave standard yy way, she needed longer string at tie knot end, so leaving other end short, because using
    ecp requires longer string,anyway she just refused to do it, then I said, do whatever but make sure the frame will not be bent...and it' didn't. so both stringers use same technique left to right (or vice versa) both victor ECP, same racquet, maybe different stringing skills, that's all I could think of. thank you for your time viewing this topic and share some experiences.