vs. short serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by r_fuhrman, Apr 14, 2004.

1. r_fuhrman

r_fuhrman Regular Member

web site designer
    I have been playing a fair amount lately and had particular difficulty against an opponent that continously hit a either a weak drive or a drop serve, normally not a problem to handle however he stayed at the T very well and cut off all of my return angle shots, a clear to the backhand was attempted but did not work very well - any ideas on shots that I could hit instead?

Much appreciated
    Rob

2. Magpie

Magpie Regular Member

Not sure if anyone else has found this, but people who stick to the T like glue, do so because they have a weakness around the net.

My advice, would be to try a few net returns to the extreme corners of the court. This should bring your opponent off his T. Follow this up with a good high clear right to the back of the court, softer punch drives down the side of the court or cross court drop shots/ net shots depending on what your opponent does with your initial net return.

Learning to hit the outer edges of the court will be important in this case, as anything loose around the net will be killed off by your opponent.

3. r_fuhrman

r_fuhrman Regular Member

web site designer
    thanks for your advice, however he is very good around the net and can beat me drop for drop. Anyother ideas ? hehe

Thanks

4. Magpie

Magpie Regular Member

Hmmmm... Sounds like you've got a strong opponent there.:eek: My best bet, would be to keep him off his T as much as possbile by moving the shuttle around the four corners of the court, varying the speed of the shots and interspersing that with some attacking clears.

5. Normand

Normand Regular Member

Or try something else

It could also be that you need to work on you're footwork to be able to hit the bird high enough to be able to have the choice of shots to respond (defensife and offensive clears, flick drives, close drops...) so he has to be carefull and not stand in an offensive position.

Normand

6. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    What happened when you cleared to his backhand?

7. r_fuhrman

r_fuhrman Regular Member

web site designer
    hi guys, i played the same opp again today, and won close - i pushed him off the T with a lot of deep clears to his backhand and hitting a few drops to keep him honest - seemed to work

Thx for all your help - got a school tourny, how it goes well hehe

Thanks again

8. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    so we're talking singles... i would say if he stays at the T after a low serve in singles, he's vulnerable to pushes or quick lifts to the rear court. if you've done this and it's not worked, and you can't play him at the net, i guess it's time to start training harder:)
    g

9. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Rock on! glad you found some solutions to his service. careful, he's going to try to find solutions so your solutions!

10. r_fuhrman

r_fuhrman Regular Member

web site designer
    hehe yea he thought he found a solution but I am a bit of a thinker on court whereas he isnt so i just changed my game b4 he could adjust hehe. Got a tourny 2morrow hope all goes well hehe