Best Yonex racket for intermediate player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kvanzuijlen, Jan 10, 2015.

1. kvanzuijlen

kvanzuijlen Regular Member

Student
    Hello All,

Currently I am playing with a Yonex Voltric 7 with the default string. I want to buy a new racket. I want a head heavy racket with some more easy power than the Voltric 7. Also I want to make my smash more powerful by buying a new racket/string. Also I have to work on my clears, so I think I need more easy power for this.

At the moment I am not focussing on single's nor doubles/mix so I think an all round racket might be the best option for me.

I am currently playing in the lowest senior competition and I am 17yo.

I saw the Voltric 80 online but here on bc everybody says you have to be on a high skill level to use this racket with max. power. So I don't think this racket is good for me after only 4 years of badminton. (Tell me if I am wrong).

Also I read about the BG66UM which I was planning on to buy. People say it's only good for playing 3 times with it. Is this applicable for me too (since my hits aren't that powerful) or is it safe to buy for me without having to restring my racket every 2 weeks? And if it's safe, does it require a high skill level?

So basically, what I want to know is: Which Yonex racket suits the best for me (in your opinion) or is the Voltric 80 also a good choice for a beginner/intermediate. Also what string should I buy and how much lbs do you think I need?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English,
    Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#1 kvanzuijlen, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    Hey,

If you aren't able to produce enough power with your voltric 7, than you definitely won't be able to do so with a voltric 80 which is more stiff. I think the most important thing to do here is improve your technique if you want a powerful smash and an effortless clear. If you however still want another racket , the voltric 5 would be better, it's a bit head-heavier, but its also medium-stiff like the voltric 7. I use the voltric 5 myself and I love it.

3. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Your current racket is Voltric 7......
    A bit headheavy, Medium stiff, 4U weight.

Voltric 80 is
    Very head heavy, Pretty stiff, 3U or 4U weight.

As far as I see.....you will have a lot of problems if you buy VT80 now and try to play with it. Is it going to give you more power? If you can't produce power easily with VT7, VT80 is going to be much harder to produce power. Much more effort in each shot.

But if you want to increase power, Get some new strings -.-
    Default strings? I'm guessing less than 20lbs? No wonder you can't produce power with that.

I don't know about Victor or Ashaway strings but I recommend BG80. It's been my most used string since i've started badminton. It lasts long, can hold tension for a long time, nice control, nice power.

Try BG80 with ummmm.....22-23lbs. If you can get better power with that and get used to the string and tension, go for 25-26lbs.

4. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    I don't totally agree. In Korea, where the weather is hot, this tensions are normal for beginners. Here in Belgium and the Netherlands, it's a lot colder and beginners play with lower tensions. I am an intermediate player and usually string my rackets at 20 lbs (= 9 kg) (I would also play with 19 lbs (=8,5 kg) or 21 lbs (= 9,5 kg)). And I can produce a lot of power with my rackets... I think 20 lbs would be fine. The default strings usually are between 18 and 20 lbs. I would recommend BG65 since its approximately the same gauge as your current strings. If his technique isn't great yet, which seems to be the case, than increasing string tension, would only cause him to have a sore arm and get worse results.

#4 Belgian, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. kvanzuijlen

Student
    Hey,

Thanks for all the fast responses. I will definitely try a new string. Since there are 2 different recommendations I still need a bit more information about strings. Will the BG66UM do well for me too or will it only get worse (just like my last thoughts about the VT80)? Indeed, my technique is far from perfect (especially my backhand).

Also I will ask my trainer about the strings because he does the stringing where I play.

Lots of thanks again,
    Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#5 kvanzuijlen, Jan 10, 2015
  6. kvanzuijlen

Student
    Hey guys,

My mistake, it's a VT3 I currently have. I don't know why I added 4 and made it a VT7 :)rolleyes:). With this being the correct information, what would be the right thing to do?

Sorry for this dumb mistake and I am hoping to hear from you guys soon,
    Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#6 kvanzuijlen, Jan 10, 2015
  7. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    66F + 66M + 66U in the following three strings of Review
    YONEX-ZFII-LCH-JP-4U, tied Gosen , professional 26 pounds, the following are the results of the evaluation:
    Sound 66M>66F> 66U
    Feel 66F> 66U> 66M
    nex sjot 66F> 66U> 66M
    Drive 66M = 66U> 66F
    drop 66F> 66M> 66U
    Smash 66F = 66U> 66M
    backhand 66M> 66U> 66F
    fltten out 66M> 66U> 66F
    deep clear 66M> 66F> 66U
    Accuracy 66F> 66U>66M
    Control 66F> 66U> 66M
    repulsion 66M> 66U> 66F
    Solid 66F> 66M> 66U
    I would recommend BS12L,If you like it.

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    As most have said, try changing the strings first as it is cheaper and then you can see if you generate more power and control with better strings.

I used BG80 myself and love it. Great all round string, tried many others but go back to this reliable string for me. I also use BG66 Ultimax, brilliant for control, repulsion and hitting sound but will break quicker than BG80. However if your smash is not very powerful (like mine) you won't break it that quickly so worth a try.

The tension I have is 24lbs for doubles and 26lbs for singles. It is varies but I think you should see some improvement straight away if you cut the default strings and use better strings at a nice tension. Try 21lbs and see how you get on. I hope this helps, good luck.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    No man ever became great or good except through many and great mistakes.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO BG66 UM isn't a great string because it feels dull after a few times. I recommend BG80 or BG80 P. If you play with feathers everything below 22lbs is useless and IMO unplayable even for beginners. I think BG80 @ 10kg (22lbs) should work fine on your racket. If you are unable to generate power with this set up, you should work on your technique.

10. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
  11. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Have you tried other people's racquet in the club? Pay attention the the tension and the type of racquet they have.

Sometimes It's better for you to touch and feel how a racquet plays in your hands rather than just listening to what we say.

12. kvanzuijlen

Student
    I asked him indeed, he has the following strings:
    BG80 power
    BG65ti
    Nanogy95
    Nanogy99
    Ashaway Micro Legend

I will discuss the strings with him next time I see him and than I'll decide what string I wish to use.

Now, if this racket doesn't play well for me after the string change (important for me since I need a decent racket in the near future), which racket do you guys think suits me the best? Most players at my club won't borrow anyone their rackets and some others have really old rackets. Also I need a lot of time to get used to a racket so I don't think this won't be for any use to me personally.

Still, thank you very much for the useful answers and for trying to help me out,
    Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#12 kvanzuijlen, Jan 11, 2015
  13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I think you should focus more on string tension than the string type/model.
    The strings are only marginally different between each model and I don't think you would notice the difference at your level. String tension would make a bigger difference to your performance.
    I would not go below 23 pounds for intermediate payers but see what your coach says.

Your other club members sounds kinda selfish. I would lend out my racquets to my friends and members if they asked for it. ;)

Anyway your choice of racquet will depend on your budget and your court awareness. If you have a tendency to clash racquets, stick to cheaper racquets brands like APACS.
    If you're careful and have a bigger budget, go for something like a Yonex Nanoray 700-750. Not too expensive, Light weight and easy to use.
    I had a 12 year old kid come to our club with band new top of the range Nanoray 900 and that didn't last him one month before he broke it! Stick with something affordable and upgrade when you get better. Good luck

#13 leongwaipak, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Everyone is different, as you can tell from the variety of advice given. Whether changing racket, string or racket is the right move, no one can be sure. But you can be sure that the smartest thing to do is to change only one variable at a time.

I vote for changing your string but keeping the tension near what you are used to.

BG80 or BG66U is perfectly fine ... the only reason that you would find them 'challenging' would be if you jumped up 4 or 6 lbs in tension from what you are used to.

If you don't see at least some benefit, then you can consider a different racket.

BUT.... it would be very very useful to discuss the problems you are having with your coach. A change in technique or a little more practice in certain aspects will likely help you more than a whole bag full of rackets and strings. (Take it from one who has a whole bag full of rackets and strings ;) )

15. kvanzuijlen

Student
    Thanks for the useful replies, now there's only one more question relevant to me; I have a second racket (the one I used before the VT3), it's a Carlton Powerblade 9010. I read that many players have a racket for doubles/mix and one for the singles.

Is this recommended for me too and if so, is one of those faster (which seems useful to me for singles) or is the Carlton just a crappy racket (also still with default stringing).

Thank you all, guys!,
    Jan Janssen

#15 kvanzuijlen, Jan 11, 2015
  16. luckyboyl

luckyboyl Regular Member

Hi, I think VT7 is really good racket for intermediate players. I use it for a year or two...had a chance to test the VT80 for ten minutes or so, but definitely I felt I can not handle that rakcet well. I would consider anything above VT9 as a high skill rackets (yonex). Although I felt really nice playing with VT60, kinda soft and nice to control. Power concerned - VT7 can punch a solid power....does not mean thaw we - normal players - can generate such smash as LCW :) I tend to rotate VT7, BN-60 and LightFigter 7400...the VT7 can hold its own agains them;-)

17. kvanzuijlen

Student
    My trainer is, as we speak replacing the old default string with the nanogy 99, he thought that string would be the best for me.

Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread!

Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#17 kvanzuijlen, Jan 18, 2015
  18. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Good job. What tension did he do it at? Does it feel better?

19. kvanzuijlen

Student
    I didn't play with it yet, coming Wednesday will be the first time, he said 9 or 10 kilograms would be right for me.

Thanks for asking tough,
    Jan Janssen
    The Netherlands

#19 kvanzuijlen, Jan 18, 2015