One Legend Fades. New Legends Arise.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
  2. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    And perhaps the fact that Lin Dan switched to Yonex.

Imho, this poster looks a bit corny and over the top. It's more suitable for a freefight match instead for badminton. It takes some time to have new legends. The current crop is nowhere in the same league as the 'big four' (Hidayat, Gade, LD, LCW).

3. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

When I sent this poster to my badminton group, some laughed at it for sounding really corny. OK, CL can be considered a legend.... but Srikanth? Come on....

4. Espírito Santo

Terrorist
    Indeed, CL is a champion but currently I don't see him in legend status, he need to win more trophies from Olympics, Thomas Cup and Super Series plus he need to be unbeatable and stay longer as world no.1.

As for Srikanth, maybe he can be the legend in India provided he can sustain his top 5 world ranking and he need to win more trophies as well.

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even I wonder why lining did this. May be they are utilising these 2 players for their own benefits. Lol. But if you consider, both of them are not considered as legends. They could have said as 'Rising Star' for srikanth instead of 'Rising legend' and also, I dont think chen long is a legend. Legend can be given only to LCW, LINDAN, TAUFIK , PETERGADE.

I want to say to LINING one thing. Dont market players in this way. To certain extent we can accept that they are doing this for their marketing. But is it good ?. Let them play . I am talking about only srikanth here. I dont want him to get distracted by these kind of gimmicks and flattering words. Work hard continuously. Rewards will follow .

6. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Chen Long is a legend.

7. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

To give some controversal input: the fact that you guys only list LCW,PG,TH and LD as legends support Li Ning's old vs. new Legends slogan. If you ask some older Badminton fans who they consider as Badminton Legends, they will say Zhao Jianhua, Morton Frost or Yang Yang. In 10 or 20 Years, people probably will remember CL or Srikanth as Legends, who knows. Of course, both don't have legend status yet, but they are already stars and will go their way.

In my opinion, the only active player who will be considered as one of the all time legends, no matter how far in the future, is Lin Dan, because he is sort of the ultimate and most complete badminton player and his domination, even over LCW is just too overwhelming.

8. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Chen Long is definitely a legend.

9. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Chen Long has had only some time to establish himself, and in that period, he has done so nicely. Srikanth has been such a recent addition to the top 10, so only time will tell if he will become a legend. It is significant, however, that Li-Ning has supported two elite players, one of which is not from China (not yet counting PV Sindhu, who is not yet elite, in my book).

10. Espírito Santo

Terrorist

Yes, in long run Chen Long will be a legend and everyone will remember his name even after 20 yrs he had retired from badminton arena but definitely not for now as he need more glory and trophies to achieve that status.

As for Srikanth, I have no confidence he will be a legend, his name will go down as same like other Indian badminton ex-superstars like Prakash Padukone, P.Gopichand and A.Popat. They are famous in the past and people are still talking about them in India but not for worldwide badminton community.

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No. I clearly object this opinion. Though I dont know anything about gopichand (I can only say about today's players), prakash padukone and aparna etc, I can only say that these players does not have infrastructure facilities as if the current crop of players are getting. Srikanth is just 21. How can you say that he will go down?. Let him enjoy his game for 2 more years then we can judge his future.

12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I thought you already described srikanth as a legend already after he beat lin dan in china open 2014 ???

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...SS-2014-SEMIFINALS-(22nd-November-2014)/page9

so which one is true, srikanth is a legend or not ??

13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    we should have the standard to determine which one is legend, and which one is not a legend.

from the 5 names above, it is safe to say that LD is a legend.
    but we cannot say like that to LCW, TH and Gade if someone doesn't agree that CL is a legend

Lin Dan :
    - won all major titles ; OLY, WC, TC and SC (18 or 19 in total)
    - plus the other 31 - 32 titles to make it total 50 titles
    - world #1 for more than 150 weeks
    - positive H2H to all 4 players in this list
    - 10 or more world records

TH : won 4 or 5 major titles, with only 30 titles in total, and world #1 for 1 or 2 weeks only for the entire career, negative H2H to all 4 players except Gade cmiiw

LCW :50 titles in total without a single major title in his collection, but stay longer than LD as world #1

PGC : perhaps 30 titles in total without major title also, and world #1 for 6 until 12 months in total

CL : major title yes, world #1 also for 5 - 6 weeks, and 20 titles in total

CL is closer to TH in term of total titles, but surely superior than Gade and LCW whom never won major title before.

#13 Fortune, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I appreciate your work.. but gone waste... I never ever used that word 'legend' anywhere.. Only the li ning company have been using that for their marketing benefits .. They are trying to use these players name in order for their sales. Lol.. First you need to ask that chinese company and later you can point out some irrevelant remarks.. lol. Good joke.

He is a rising star as I pointed out earlier. :)

Chen Long is a legend?.. Cant even imagine.. Hmmm... carry on guys...

#14 scorpion1, Jan 15, 2015
  15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    never tell other about this if you are not smart enough lol
    since when my comment is useless ?

history only recorded a legend's fantastic carrer, and not for only a rising star :rolleyes:
    do u agree with this statement ?

if u don't agree, can you name me one name of the rising star that has his name got registered in the history ?
    can you ?

if you can't, then you must delete your post about :
    srikanth's name in the history forever...because as I say, history only for a legend, and not for a rising star
    :rolleyes:

at 21, LD was the world #1 for 10 months, 9 GP titles which is similar to SS / SSP titles now, and also major title Thomas Cup 2004...when he won all 5 matches in straight sets including against host INA MS1 Sony Dwi Kuncoro

at 21 or 22, Gade and TH already claimed world #1 for a while, and won 5 - 6 titles.
    also, Gade at that age, he become 1998 IBF world player of the year

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=489528&dl=1

what about srikanth ? :rolleyes:

one thing for sure, history only remember a legend Lin Dan and not a rising star Lin Dan lol

even history will forget a rising star Lin Dan who is far more superior than the Indian, so how come they will remember a rising star KS ?

Li Ning is right.

Chen Long is a legend (if you consider TH, Gade and LCW as a legend) of the world...including China for sure

Srikanth is a legend, but only in India. period. case closed.

if CL is a legend, how come taufik become a legend ?
    how come gade and lcw become a legend ?

TH : about 15 years in the circuit at senior level, but only can win 25 titles (excl. SEA Games)...now CL already won 19 titles

TH only can be world #1 for 1 or 2 weeks, CL more than that, even until March at least.

CL also has positive H2H against Taufik. what else to say ?

LCW and Gade : 12 - 20 years in the circuit, but never won a major title before where CL already won 1 major title.

what else you can say ?

#15 Fortune, Jan 15, 2015
  16. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student

edit : if CL is NOT a legend...

H2H :

CL vs LCW : 9 - 9 (10 - 9 for CL if we count Asian Games which is not BWF official tournament)

CL vs TH : 4 - 2

CL vs Gade : 4 - 2

by counting :
    # of major titles
    # of total titles
    world #1
    H2H
    # of world records

CL, TH, Gade and LCW has plus minus than the others...which the result is almost similar...

so if you say CL is not a legend...
    then you must write off gade, chong wei and taufik from the legend's list as well

#16 Fortune, Jan 15, 2015
  17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Lol.. li ning is absolutely wrong.. both chen long and srikanth are not legends.. period.. if srikanth is a legend in india alone, why should li ning using his picture in singapore badminton facebook page.. lol.. Ha ha.. What is your comment on this?.. :D.. And chen long winning just one major title and world no. 1 for 4 to 5 weeks becoming a legend? Bravo.. keep it with you... Ba bye......... :)

#17 scorpion1, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    FAO: All legend experts above.

What makes someone a legend?

19. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    who says taufik and gade is a legend while chen long is not ?
    who are you ? what criteria do you have ?
    dream on :D

if Li Ning wants to maximize the sales outside India by using srikanth, then whats wrong ?
    there are Indian in Singapore right ? so what is the problem ?

ok. I already answer your question.
    now it is my turn.

since when a rising star has his name in the history forever ?
    since when ?
    keep dreaming :D

winning 1 major title still better than nothing.
    this is a very easy math.
    everyone know about it.
    what about you ? still think that 0 is better than 1 ? hahaha :p

the only possible solution if you can't answer the question :p

20. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Chen Long world #1 status is safe even until March 2015 which means more than 10 weeks.
    compare it with taufik who only world #1 for 1 - 2 weeks for the entire carrer, so which one is better ? :p