String tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by john1994, Jan 11, 2015.

1. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Hi I am sure you guys know me by now anyways, I need some tip about string tension, so I been playing with 27lb and I think I strong enough to play 30lb, but the things I am in fear that it will break my racket, and because of this fear I stuck 27lb for like one year even though I think I should be strong enough for 30lb. I want to up level but fear my racket frame will break, I have 3 racket at the moment, VTZF 2, LIning N90 and Armortech 900 power, So do you think this 3 racket is safee to string at 30lb? because I don't have money to buy new racket, and I feel 27lb too low for me. Also what string should I use for 30lb tension? I practice twice a week 3 hour each session. I am sick of my string tension keep dropping and really hinder my performance. Thanks need some suggestion thanks.

2. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    The N90 can take 30 lbs+ without suffering. (mine still ok after 4 years of 30 lbs)

The others i don't know ( but i know that pro players who use them play at 30 lbs+)

If you play with a think and soft string like bg65, you can change to thinner strings like nbg98, bg66xyz or to a stiffer string like bg80.
    AFAIK LCW played usually only at 28 lbs bg66.

3. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

what about VOltric z force 2 ok at 30lb? and what about armortec 900, I am not worry about armortec 900 cuz is cheap just worry about the voltric z force 2.

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Usually pro players can go as high as 38lbs (of course they don't need to pay their racket if they broke it).
    for new racket, 30lbs should be fine (even fake rackets can handle 30lbs these days)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

What string are you currently using?

6. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

bg 80, can bg 80 hold 80 would it break and how often do I have to change I am poor haha help.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

You can try thinner strings for stiffer feel without stressing your racket.

What about the bg80 that you don't like? Power, control, feel, etc?

8. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I like bg80, wow Visor you live in vancouver I live in there too haha maybe we can book a court and we play? I am from malaysia but move there 3 years ago haha. ya got facebook or what number so we can contact with each other??

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... I'm from MAS too, but like 36 yrs ago... :eek:

Where do you play?

10. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

you got facebook or other things so we can contact? we have instance chat better so we can chat faster haha. add my skype johnlean94 we can chat there or if u want to talk fine by me.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you can't afford new racquets, don't increase the tension. It's that simple.

12. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I also think most racquets can hold 30+ lbs. Don't know ahout N90 and ZF2, but AT900P are prone to crack at 4 or 8 o'clock. The string cuts through the frame there. I've experienced it and heard it from others too. It can hold the tension, but be careful. I recommend using those rubbers you can put between grommets.

Or you can try BG80 or thinner strings. BG80 feels really hard.

13. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

ok i dont put 30lb, what about 28lb is that ok?

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Everything is balanced by risk. If you can afford it, go for it.

15. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

ok thanks what are the percentage of risk? if is low I will go for 30lb, if high then gg haha

16. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

No One can give you a percentage of risk. Its very individual. There are so many variables: your strengh, stringers job, condition of the racket, how often you have clashes with your double-partner, racket material, 3U/4U racket...
    In my opinion a clash with some other racket is the biggest problem, if your racket is in good condition & the stringer make a good job (change grommets etc.). All your rackets are 3U? Do Yonex give for all of your rackets the same advise of the max. tension?

And like the others said: thinner strings need less tension to have the same effect, cause they have less cross-sectional area. But when a grommet is defekt a thinner string will stress the frame harder. But in my opinion take a thinner string is a good way to get less risk for the same effekt.

At the end you have to choose, if you are unlucky your frame can also breakt at 27lb next time....

17. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

No One can give you a percentage of risk. Its very individual. There are so many variables: your strengh, stringers job, condition of the racket, how often you have clashes with your double-partner, racket material, 3U/4U racket...
    In my opinion if your racket is in good condition & the stringer make a good job (change grommets etc.) the risk isnt that high, but a clash with some other racket is the biggest problem. All your rackets are 3U? Do Yonex give for all of your rackets the same advise of the max. tension?

And like the others said: thinner strings need less tension to have the same effect, cause they have less cross-sectional area. But when a grommet is defekt a thinner string will stress the frame harder. But in my opinion take a thinner string is a good way to get less risk for the same effekt.

At the end you have to choose, if you are unlucky your frame can also break at 27lb next time....

And when the string snap, cut the whole string immediatly. I have heard that for some people the racket crash later, cause they dont cut the string.

#17 biborinho, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    around 8.9% more.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

N90 and VTZF should be able to handle 29 or 30 easily if you dont clash. My 2 N90s are still going strong after almost 5 years (they were my 2nd and 3rd racket!) and have been strung in the 28-33 range for 3 of those years. The ZF seems like a very good frame to me, I strung a couple at 26lbs no problem, and I'm pretty sure that it's very comparable to the N90 in terms of durability. The AT900 I wouldn't take past the 27, those have rather soft frames compared to the sturdier N-series or the Voltrics 70 or higher.

BG80 is the best string if you're after hard feeling and great tension retension, I've never encountered a string that holds the tension better or even nearly as well. A thinner string might give you a tighter, more direct response initially, but will lose tension and feel more spongey in the long run, and it will put more strain on the grommets, which can result in them snapping and the string cutting into the frame.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Wait till you try ZM66 Fire and ZM69 Fire... ;)