New to feather shuttlecock need help

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Dominickk, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Dominickk

Dominickk Regular Member

Hey,

I've been playing with Yonex Mavis 350 shuttlecock for quite a while, but I want to get my hand on some Feather shuttlecock to test it out.

Will probably end up buying few Victor feather shuttlecock.

My question is, speed wise wich version of Victor shuttlecock will be close to Yonex Mavis 350? Since I don't want something that is too different.

I'm from Canada and I consider buying some Victor shuttlecock on aliexpress or dhgate from China and they seem quite cheap around 10-11US / dozen.

There's different version tought: Gold, Tournament, etc. Wich one to get?

And... if These shuttle really bad, just tell me and i'll avoid them :p

Thanks!

2. Dominickk

Dominickk Regular Member

Oh and if anyone know a better place to buy feather shuttlecock online other than aliexpress and dhgate, let me know. From Canada!

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Feathers play very differently to plastics. I am moving to almost 50/50 feather/plastic now, and I'm still trying to adjust my net shots for feathers.

First thing to note is feathers have more speeds.
    Lower number = Lower speed
    As you're in Canada and it's winter, I'd imagine a 78/79 would be right.

Feathers do not last as long as plastics. Nowhere near.
    See the attached image. These are Victor Gold Champion (79).
    DSC_0231.jpg

Don't cheap out on feathers. It's not worth it.

Personally I've played with RSL Tourneys (78), Aerosensa 30 (78), and Victor Gold Champion shuttles (79).

If you're gonna buy Victor, buy the Championship ones. They're worth the extra money. Personally, I've found the Yonex ones to be the most satisfying so far. I wasn't keen on the flight of the RSLs, and the Victor ones are nice, but they don't have the same durability from what I've seen.

4. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

I don't recommend buying Victor shuttlecocks from Aliexpress, most of them are fake.

5. Dominickk

Dominickk Regular Member

Any place where I can get them online?

6. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

Not sure, but you could buy some tubes of variety from the local stores to try them out and then buy bulks online.

7. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I believe all Mavis shuttles have speed labels on them.
    Red is fastest suited to very cold weather
    Blue is not as fast suited to cool to warm weather
    Green suits hot weather.

As the seasons change, you should be using different speed shuttles. This is the same for feather shuttles.
    So which Mavis 350 shuttle are you using? Are you speed testing the shuttle and finding feather shuttles that match suits your stadium conditions?

Saying that, where I play we normally just use the fastest shuttles regardless of weather. It's easier to hit with the fast shuttles but does mean the shuttles travels faster than normal. The upside of this is that member's defensive play is much better because they are used to high speeds smashes.

I believe you would be in the middle of winter there in Canada so you should be ordering the fastest shuttles you can get your hands on. Shuttles you order in from Asia may be very slow speed suited to their warm tropical weather so wouldn't suit your conditions at all.

And [MENTION=120700]Charlie-SWUK[/MENTION], your statement "First thing to note is feathers have more speeds"
    That is not necessarily true, all shuttles are aerodynamically speed tested and controlled like I mentioned above. If you try out the fastest plastic shuttles and fastest feather shuttles, I believe speed should be consistent between the two.

What is true is that plastic shuttles are heavier and are not as agile compared to feather shuttles. Plastics are not as agile because they are heavier and more inertia and needs more energy to change direction than feather shuttles.
    Mavis 2000 reds are 5.4 grams and Protech Feather shuttles 77 speed are 4.8 grams which is about 9% difference.

8. leongwaipak

Accountant
  9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I literally meant a greater range of speeds haha, not that feathers necessarily travel faster, but I'm sure if you bought incredibly fast (80+) they would travel faster.

10. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Feathers initially fly faster and then slow down more due to the rotation of the shuttlecock. This is why slice shots work by impacting a greater spin on the shuttlecock.

Most plastics do not have this "slowing down" characteristics and therefore it's speed is more constant.
    Both should travel the same distance, but the trajectory would be different for some shots like a clear.

For yonex shuttlecocks, I've tried M300, M370 and M2000. Only the M2000 displayed any slowing down, while the rest travelled like a bullet during a smash. But even the M2000 isn't anything like a good feather.

11. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I'm no aeronautics engineer but I think Feathers accelerate faster because less mass (e.g. sports bike vs sports car) but slows down quicker because less inertia.
    You can still spin plastic shuttles but not as well or not as quickly than the lighter feather shuttles.
    Spin strokes damage the feather shuttles pretty quickly because you tend to hit more of the shuttle skirt rather than the shuttle head. Not a problem if you don't have to pay for your own shuttles.;)

12. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Going from plastics to feathers is a learning curve, you will mishit and the feel will be all over the shop initially but once you get used to feathers, you will not want to play with plastics. Also you get less shoulder ache etc playing long hours with feathers then you do with plastics (that's if you play 30 hours plus per week).

EDIT: Don't buy from Aliexpress, the feathers will be fake with composite cork and low grade feathers. Find a local retailer or shop where you can buy a tube to try out. Also INO, Victor Gold Champion, Yonex AS30 and AS 40 are all decent shuttles to try. Expensive but last longer than cheap feathers.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Don't ask what the meaning of life is. You define it.

13. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator