Gamma Progression 602 Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by shashankvmaiya, Jan 12, 2015.

1. shashankvmaiya

shashankvmaiya Regular Member

Hi everyone..
    I just purchased a Gamma Progression 602 Stringing machine and had few questions regarding stringing using this machine. It would be very helpful if someone could help me here
    - Is Gamma Progression 602 Stringing Machine and Gamma Progression II 602 Stringing Machine the same?
    - Can Gamma Progression 602 Stringing Machine be used to string Badminton rackets?
    - The manual that came along with describes how to use it to string a tennis racket but doesnt mention much about badminton rackets. Is the procedure the same?
    - Is there any manual (or a video) on how to string a badminton racket using Gamma Progression 602 machine?
    - Do we have to purchase any additional accessories or tools to string a badminton racket other than what already comes in the package? The one ive bought is
    http://www.holabirdsports.com/gamma-progression-602-stringing-machine.html

Thanks..

2. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I have that exact machine and it is perfectly suited for badminton stringing, however there are a couple of things you will need.

1. You will need badminton flying clamps. The tennis ones it comes with will not work. I use 4 flying clamps, though 2 is fine for lower tensions (<28lbs).

2. There are many resources out there for stringing badminton rackets. There's a great thread on this forum for the Klipper M140 in the stringing section. It's a stickied thread. You should read that through before starting your first racket.

3 (optional). I would suggest getting load spreaders for the 12 o'clock position, and possibly for the 6 o'clock position as well. You can pay $10 for 2 from MBS or about $30 for a metal one from ATSSports. If you get the one from ATSSports, make sure you let the sales rep know what sort of side supports your machine has. There are 2 versions of the side supports and the new one raises the racket up just a few mm, enough to prevent the old load spreader from working with it.

4. Just have fun!

3. shashankvmaiya

4. bobbinbette

5. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

Why is the 6-tooth clamp better for the main? I made the experience that the 5-tooth Clamp is pretty well for the mains and for the crosses. But i only have experience with Yonex & ProsPro 5-tooth clamp.

6. bobbinbette

The 5 tooth is fine for both. I just found the 6 tooth easier for the mains. It's all up to you really.

7. shashankvmaiya

Thanks a lot for your help. I bought the flying clamps and the load spreaders as you suggested. And now, as i begin to string, im stuck up at the first stage....mounting my racket. For some reason, the shoulder arms doesnt really support the racket correctly. The dimensions of the badminton racket is small and the two shoulder arms on either sides (10 o clock and 8 o clock supports) cannot be brought close enough to support them. Instead, they hit eachother. I dont see any way to actually adjust them in order to get all the 6 supports holding my racket.

8. bobbinbette

Check if you have the black badminton supports on the side supports. Not necessary, but helpful.
    You can slide the actual tower on each side of the turn table. It's only held down by a Hex Bolt if I remember correctly. Loosen it up and move the towers away from each other.

If the above doesn't work, could you post a few pictures?

9. shashankvmaiya

Thanks a lot! It works...and ive strung my first racket successfully :)

10. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

I've got the Gamma Progression II 602. I've strung about 15 badminton racquets so far and I've cracked one. Luckily through the advice of people in this forum I've corrected the problem and everything is going well. See my thread from a few months ago!

11. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

I had the same problem with the arms being too close! The middle support posts CAN come out farther than it may seem possible. You just need to pull them out.

12. shashankvmaiya

Yea. You are right. I noticed that a little late.
    By the way...how did you crack one of your 15 rackets? Was wondering what are the common stringing mistakes that one makes..

13. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

You can see the whole thread in this sub forum, but the main thing was, the arms were too close and I was stringing at high tension.

Another problem I had was the turn table was super hard to turn. I needed to swivel it with two hands. Eventually after a dozen string jobs the turn table is now looser and much easier to turn.

The issue I'm having now is the string is digging into my hands while I use the drop weight.

14. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

Oops double post

#14 Rolo7, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  15. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    The turntable should not be hard to turn. If it is, then chances are that the bearing has been done up too tight. I got a Spinfire Flame, and when it came, the turntable was coggy - i.e. it would turn a bit and stop, and turn some more etc. That was a broken bearing, which was I think due to the factory wanting to tighten it but tightened it too much that the bearing race cracked instead. You may have a look at the bearing or ask your dealer about it. I was able to obtain a local replacement bearing and fix it myself, paid for by the dealer.

The string digging into your hands - how are you holding it? I put the string into the round gripper, then let the weight down. If it doesn't have a ratchet, you have to hold the gripper to move the dropweight bar. I went to an electronic tensioner after having wrist problems stringing 55lbs for a tennis racquet.

16. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

I think the turntable just needed some loosening because its fine now. Moves without trouble but not too loose.

I find I have to pull the string tight before the gripper has a chance to hold onto the string. Otherwise the drop weight goes right down to the bottom. Hmm maybe I should adjust the gripper. I'm still new at this and will take any advice.

17. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

Oh I finally understand! I can turn the gripper and move the arm up at the same time to adjust the tension rather than me doing it!! I just have go hold the gripper down? This helps!

18. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Ok - putting the string into the gripper problem. Most new machines have the linear string gripper - wind the string around the drum, then into the string gripper - pull it tight and press the string gripper to the left, i.e. it should tighten on the string, then release the dropweight bar. For most right-handed people, this is a little awkward, but you can get used to it or switch around with the left hand.

For those machines with a round gripper, the string goes around the drum, then into the gripper. Then grab the gripper to press down on the string, and release the dropweight bar. Again, it takes a bit of getting used to, but becomes second nature.

Now, you don't have an electronic tensioner, but similarly, the string goes around the diablo then into the gripper, push the gripper to the left before activating the switch - doing this will reduce the slippage that can happen, and which causes string damage.

19. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    As long as the dropweight bar stops in the near horizontal position, the tension should be fine. If it is up at an angle, the tension is high, if low then obviously the tension is low - ok?

20. Rolo7

Rolo7 Regular Member

Thank you so much. This will save my delicate hands!