String tension and type for plastic birds

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Xuser, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hi, just want to know what your input is about string tension and type when playing with plastic birds. Predominantly, the Yonex Mavis 300.

From what I've read, it is best to use lower tension for plastic birds cause higher tension feels like a board when playing with plastic birds. Is this true?

What about string brand and type? Is thicker string better for smashes or it doesn't matter?

Thanks in advance.

2. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Some background info first.
    I have been using Mavis 500 and 2000 reds on a regular basis for the last few years and rarely use feathers.
    Mavis 2000 reds shuttles weighs 5.5 grams which is the upper limit of the allowed shuttlecock weight.

I'm not sure what the Mavis 300 weighs so maybe you can measure it yourself and let me know, but I'll assume it's the same. Feather shuttles I have weighs 5.0 grams.

I think it's safe to say that all racquet manufacturers design their racquets to be played with feather shuttles that weighs 10% lighter that plastic shuttles. With a heavier shuttle, your strokes would be slightly different. You can't easily make short sharp strokes like you can for feather shuttles.

I also believe that due to the weight the plastic shuttles it would have more inertia so would need more power to change direction and to generate the same speed compared to a feather shuttle.

Saying all that, the tension you should use with plastic shuttles really depends on your technique and skill.
    How fast are you able to swing the racquet would determine the correction tension that you should use.

My current favourite racquet is ZF2 3u with BG80 at 28x30 or 29x31 pounds.
    I have ZF1 and Z speed at similar high tensions and they play quite well with the plastic shuttles.

When I first got my ZF2, I used to play with a lower tension around 25-26 pounds, and at the beginning I didn't think the racquet played that well with the plastic shuttles.
    After changing to the higher tension of 28-29 pounds, I'm definitely getting faster and better smashes with plastic shuttles with this high tension.

I haven't tried the thinner strings like UM66 on my racquets with plastic shuttles yet but again, the heavier plastic shuttles would cause more stress than feather shuttles would.
    I have noticed that with the higher 28-29 pounds tension, I would break strings more often than I did with 25-26 pounds.

So in response to your post, I don't believe you need a lower tension, but you do need to experiment with different tensions to find the right tension for you.
    String brand and type? Again, I've used BG65, 68ti, Nanogy 95 & 98, and BG80 and they all play fine with plastic shuttles. Higher tensions gave me more smash speed but it will make it easier to break strings.
    Hope that helps.

3. leongwaipak

Accountant
  4. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I had strung my Z speed at 22lbs with BG80 but I think it was strung close to 27 or 30lbs when my racquet arrived. It felt like a board, no feeling at all. So I changed my string to BG65 at 22lbs and now it felt more like a 22lbs and I got more power smashes. Very happy with it. I use the Mavis 300 blue (medium) which suits our Canadian climate in the winter. We have tried the Mavis 350 but it is too slow.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Are you serious? You play a high-end racket (with pretty high tension) and use plastic feathers?

6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    It all comes down to cost, good quality feathers become expensive each year. Plastics tend to last longer.

Anyhow back on subject, I use Mavis 300s myself when I have to play against other clubs and use 23lbs tension on my Nanoray 750 and it gives good control, power and feel. That's playing doubles, playing singles I use 24lbs on my Arcsaber 11.

As a contrast, I use 24lbs for doubles and 26lbs for singles when playing with feathers.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Never get a mime talking. He won't stop.

7. |_Footwork_|

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference with which racket, which string and whatever tension you play, as long as you use plastics. Plastics have so little in common with "real badminton", that the choice of all other things is just irrelevant...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

It's very simple... try doing a shuttle speed test with both feather and plastic birds of the correct speed, but use a racket with thin string at high tension, say BG66UM at 30 lb and see what happens... You'll definitely need more power to clear the plastic bird...

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree. If I had the choice of 3 VTZF2 and playing a year with plastics or 3 cheap rackets and a year with feathers, I wouldn't think about it. Plastics and a high end racket is like a race car and no money for petrol. If you can't get regular shoes, strings and feather you should look for a different kind of sports.

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    In your opinion, how fast do Yonex's plastic shuttles travel compared to feathers? The whole 'slow, medium, fast' thing doesn't translate very well.

Using the same strike, I had the Mavis 300 fast about a foot longer than the Mavis 300 medium, and a Victor Gold Champion (Speed 79) about 1.5 feet further than the Mavis 300 fast.

I was wondering how this would compare to your experience.

11. leongwaipak

Accountant
    So are we all being elitist now?
    Some clubs choose to play with plastic shuttles and charge a lower entry price. That's all that's to it.

I have no time or commitment to play competitively anymore, so using plastic shuttles with my friends in a social and healthy setting is fine. My racquets are just what I'm willing to play and what I can afford. I carry feathers, but choose to stick with plastics for consistency.

Anyway, we have six courts and consistently have 40-50 people per night who come and have a good time with level of play from beginners to state players. So we're a friendly bunch and I'm more than happy to play and train with beginners to help them improve. Can you say that about your elitist views and at your own club?

Anyway, we're distracting from the OP original question regarding strings and tension. If you have no experience with plastic shuttles and no relevant nor helpful input for the OP, then you're not really helping with your elitist views.

[MENTION=168]Xuser[/MENTION], I think blue labels Mavis would be too slow for a Canadian winter. Consider using red label shuttles. And make sure you speed test to match the environment.
    On this link:
    http://www.yonex.com/products/badminton/shuttlecocks/nylon-shuttlecocks/mavis-2000/
    under Product technology and playing conditions, you will see that reds should suit the cold winter climates.

12. |_Footwork_|

This has nothing to do with being "elitist". It's just a matter of fact that the game with plastic shuttles has little to do with badminton. It's a different sport.

To get back to the original question: If you play with plastics, use the thickest and most durable string you can find (maybe BG65 if you choose Yonex) at whatever tension from 20-28lbs. As you play with plastics, there's no significant difference anyway, as the plastic thing is dull and without feel anyway.

13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Why is it a different sport? As long as the shuttle is legal weight, correct speed and legal dimensions it's still the same sport same rules.

Do you actually have direct experience and have you played with different tensions with plastic shuttles?
    If you don't, you're just speculating and making general assumptions and that doesn't help the OP at all.

On the contrary your comments are nothing but belittling his choice (and mine) of playing with plastic shuttles.

14. |_Footwork_|

Yes, I have tried plastic shuttles. It's awful! Yes, I'm belittleing this choice! Plastics take away all the beauty of the sport...

Plastics have their place: For total beginners, especially little kids trainings.

15. leongwaipak

Accountant
    If you have no constructive advice for the OP, then you should not troll his question or topic.

You can open your own topic, how feathers are superior to plastics shuttles and blow your horn as much as you want.

16. |_Footwork_|

Ok, so here is yet again my advice concerning string choice:

Use the thickest and most durable string you can find (maybe BG65 if you choose Yonex) at whatever tension from 20-28lbs. As you play with plastics, there's no significant difference anyway, as the plastic thing is dull and without feel anyway.

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    For me I enjoy the repulsive strings the most. So Zymax. Was white 62, have used 65 too. Currently using 66fire, and 69fire was also good. In the past I also liked bg80 and vs850 but at relatively low 23-24lbs. I don't know how much of that is personal preference and how much soft strings are suitable for plastics.

(I say play, obviously a close approximation of. Not even that close. And I'm clearly posting this in the wrong forum as we're discussing NOT-badminton. Even though I use the same court, net, shoes, racquet, strings, rules, footwork, tactics and 95% of the hitting action.)

18. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I was trained on Mavis 350 and I still use Mavis 350 and 2000 for practice. Of course in competition and in club play, I use Aero Black or Yonex Mavis x0, but I think the experience with plastics is discredited to too much of an extreme. I used to use plastic 100% of the time, and now I use it closer to 40% of the time. I find it easy to adjust to plastic and back to feather.

At most, I would recommend a pound lower on plastics than on feather. For the most part, though, when you use thin gauge strings on plastics, it feels more fragile than repulsive. That being said, I would recommend thicker (.67-.70) string, but definitely no "factory" string.

When training, the shuttles aren't really emphasized (training shuttles are often lower grade feather shuttles, or plastic shuttles), as footwork, instinct, and execution of stroke account for most of performance in badminton. Don't feel bad for using plastics. :p

19. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

well, in my area no good coaches or clubs would suggests plastics though, people who use plastics don't need to spend too much but still can enjoy the game, economical reasons.

hitting feel, sound, crispness, flight, everything all not there with plastics so definitely I enjoy using feathers more.

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the string tension should be a few lbs lower and you should choose a durable string like BG65. I personally think that 22lbs is a good tension for plastics. Maximum 24lbs. Anything higher is difficult to handle and will maybe result with costs for the doctor, buying arm braces and a bad shoulder or tennis elbow. Even with good technique you will get problems after a while. I wouldn't recommend plastics because my health is the most important thing. Saving money is no issue for me. Like written no good and serious club or coach will recommend plastics. You can sugarcoat your lower costs and enjoyment, but you will end up with problems and will develop a different type of game and technique. Some things you can't do with plastics. Their ability is limmited compared to feathers. Like said before it's a different kind of sports. Regardless what is written in the rules no contesting player uses it.

vinkumar09 likes this.