Yonex racket selection advice for beginner with ambition (Voltric vs Arcsaber)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by soloflow, Jan 13, 2015.

1. soloflow

soloflow New Member

Hi all,

I've just picked up playing badminton again and unfortunately my racket broke pretty early on. This makes it hard for me to know what racket to buy since I not yet fully know my own playing style or limitations. I understand that improving is obviously the most important part and the racket won't effect my skill that much. However I do need to buy a new racket regardless and I might as well make as good choice as possible either way. With that said ...

• I only play singles
    • I'm fairly strong, and excluding poor technique, I believe I'm hitting rather hard forehands.
    • I believe I'll play a pretty all round style of play
    • My backhand clears are very weak, I have troubble getting them really deep.
    • I think I'd prefer a pretty forgiving racket sweet-spot-wise since I still misshit a lot.

I figure I can pay a decent amount for the racket, around $100-170 if I feel it's a good investment. I assume medium flex would help me since my technique isn't really there yet?

I'm thinking a low tension stringed Voltric 70 would be a good option that I can string tighter as my skill improve? Would that be too much of a pro-option? Is the arcsaber series more forgiving? If so, which one? Should I go for even more flex than medium? Any help or guidance would be better than none giving I don't have a racket and must buy one instantly.

Thanks in advance.

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Perhaps $100-170 is a bit of a large investment for someone just getting back into badminton. If I were you, I would ask my friends if I could try their rackets to see my preferences. If you need to buy a racket now now now, I would personally recommend the Arcsaber series because it's designed to be more forgiving and for all-around players. Medium flex should be fine.

3. soloflow

soloflow New Member

Thanks Pink! I agree it's an hefty sum but I'm the kind of guy that rather pay a bit more than to buy cheap stuff and then level up later. But I do understand it sounds stupid to some.

Anyway, can't really borrow any rackets except the Voltric 5, but since I don't have anything to compare with it's hard to say how it compares.

So the arcsaber series are more forgiving, even compared to Voltaic 70 with low tension string? Does that go for Arc Sabre I-Slash too? Coz that seems to have good specs and is at a nice price range. Would even balance make it easier or harder to hit deep clears?

Any particular other Arc Saber you could otherwise recommend?

Once again, thanks for your effort.

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I have never personally used the Arcsaber I-Slash but I have heard that it is good. I would think that it has more forgiveness than a Voltric 70 at low tension. An even balance means less power, but it also means faster defense. I believe gundamzaku recommends ArcSaber002 if you want to look into an option at the lower spectrum of your range.

5. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

If you only play singles, a head heavy racket such as voltric 70 would be better imo. The extra racket head weight would provide more benefits than quick racket handling in singles play.

6. funkdrummer

funkdrummer Regular Member

Student
    As a player I would suggest purchasing the Arcsaber 002. It's even balanced (GREAT for a mix of defensive and offensive play) and is flexible, making clears and adding extra power to shots.
    When you're starting out, an expensive racket would be the last thing I suggest. I would suggest you pick up something cheaper as these rackets tend to be more beginner friendly! I literally started with a Muscle Power 7 (Terrible choice... I know ;) ) And have been transitioning to stiffer frames. Good luck friend!

7. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Perhaps the Voltric 5 would be good to try out! It would be just like an entry-level voltric. If you like it a lot, then you might be able to decide further. ArcSaber 002 would be similar (but I think the AS002 is further in the series).

8. soloflow

soloflow New Member

Thanks for the input!

I kind of knew the recommendation would be to buy a less expensive racket since I'm a beginner. However it isn't much fun putting the money up knowing I'll eventually want to change. Going for something a bit higher, pricewise, would make me feel more long term about it. Maybe silly and not so rational :)

Either way. Correct me if I'm wrong but what makes cheaper rackets more beginner friendly is mostly the shaft flex, low string tension and maybe isometric headshape? Since the VT70 has a medium flex i figured it might be a easy enough racket that still gives room to grow in. Wrong?

9. soloflow

soloflow New Member

Yeah, I tried it quickly when my racket broke and it felt nice. Though I have nothing to compare with except my really old carlton that broke :)

At the club they have a few rackets one can lend/rent so hopefully they got any of the models we have spoken of. If so, I can try that today.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Totally agree, buy the most expensive racket you can afford.

11. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Thats in my line of thoughts as well. Invest the dough in a long term investment so u dont have to switch rackets every now n then.

12. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

VT70 is definitely a gd choice if u could get used to its high balance point. Along the line of mid-stiff shaft n high bp would b Victor TK-6ooo. Its slightly stiffer than VT70 but lower bp. May consider Victor BS12 of even-balance with slight head-heaviness. It has fast swing n easy to use.

String tension in ur case should b in the range of 21 to 25 lbs, depending on type n thickness of the string.

13. funkdrummer

funkdrummer Regular Member

Student
    I appreciate your opinion :)

The Voltric 70 is a medium flex racket but it is head heavy. If you don't like to use rackets that take a lot of strength to wield, I wouldn't suggest using it :p

I've heard the Arcsaber 7 is good, but I have never actually tried it.

If you are open to trying other brands, the Victor Bravesword 12 is a amazing racket! Fast and power generation is easy with a medium flex racket!

14. soloflow

soloflow New Member

Read up on Bravesword 12 and on paper it sure sounds promising. Hard to find a retailer in Sweden it seems, so that could be an issue. Great advice tho!