How to deal with a smasher??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Justin Leung, May 12, 2001.

1. Justin Leung

Justin Leung Guest

Hi, I read an article on badminton central under the techniques section that metioned that smashing constantly is not a very good idea in singles. This sounds pretty reasonable to me, however, some of the people I play at my club are extremely smash happy and smash almost every chance they get. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use this to my advantage?? Please keep in mind that I am only 14 and by no means am I an excellent player for my age. All suggestions are welcome (even ones I might not be able to do right now)
    Thanks

2. Vic

Vic Guest

Work on your defense and wear the other player out by dropping and clearing. If a player smashes on a deep clear, then drop the return. If he smashes down the line, drop return it to the opposite side.

3. Tony Halim

Tony Halim Guest

Against less experienced players, I'll do these:

1) If my opponent is smashing from deep in the rear court, I'll always take a step forward and adopt the forward defence stance. That way, I can take the return around shoulder height and block or drive back so that I can regain the offence.

2) If my opponent smashes from midcourt/rearcourt, then I'll stand slightly behind so that I'll have more time to return the smash. That way, I can still take the shuttle even if it is close to the ground. My choices of returns are usually the block to the net or high lift to the rearcourt.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Disguise your shots a little, don't allow him to predict where

you are hitting.If you can return his shots feed him lobs, if you can't change your lobs to shooting punch clears, you need a very strong wrist or racquet to play like that.

5. Justin Leung

Justin Leung Guest

Thanks to all who posted suggestions, I will try them next time I play these people!

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Several people mentioned sending it deep to the rear court, but some of those returns may just result in another smash. Perhaps what they meant to say was return it deep to the rear court, on the smasher's backhand side. While it's not too hard to do an around the head smash, or a backhand smash while up close to the net, it is much harder to do a backhand smash from the back of the court and most people probably won't try that.

7. Wedge

Wedge Guest

when im playing well defensively (and i know i can handle his smash) i sometimes set my oponent for a smash and then expose my left or right side of the court (as bait)
    when he smashes i know he'll go to the exposed side so when it comes i pick a spot on the right or left at net and dropshot/drive it back .. this has worked very well manytimes,

has anyone ever done this (tried to get the oponent to smash so as to counter) ?

8. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    Sometimes it works for me but my reaction sometimes not so fast :(

9. Viper-X

Viper-X Guest

Justin Leung wrote:
    >
    > Hi, I read an article on badminton central under the
    > techniques section that metioned that smashing constantly is
    > not a very good idea in singles. This sounds pretty
    > reasonable to me, however, some of the people I play at my
    > club are extremely smash happy and smash almost every chance
    > they get. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use
    > this to my advantage??

what is your advantage?

>Please keep in mind that I am only 14

Me too....and I have same problem as you....

> and by no means am I an excellent player for my age. All
    > suggestions are welcome (even ones I might not be able to do
    > right now)
    > Thanks

Maybe you can try not to give them a chance.......

10. Wedge4Life

Wedge4Life Guest

we'll i'd practice to perfect my dropshot return of the smash .. so as to regain the attack ,, its usually better to drop it back to a corner rather than to the middle

11. bucky

bucky Guest

just return all their smashes...........practise on your defence.............if their smashes are hard.....u can slow them down by sending high balls to the baseline......that will make their smashes less powerful.