Rackets for a class

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by SlvrDragon50, Jan 21, 2015.

1. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I teach badminton at my university, and I wanted to replace the rackets we have since they either have broken strings or really old strings. We are currently using these really cheap looking green and white Carlton rackets.

While it likely won't make a large impact on a beginner's performance, I think it might help in encouraging them to continue to play badminton if they don't feel hindered by the equipment.

Would anyone here have suggestions on what racket to get for my class? Keep in mind, since I'm likely to order more than 10 rackets. I can't go buy 50+ dollar rackets.

I found this racket, and I figure Badminton Alley might be willing to do a bulk discount as well: http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex...cational_Racket_p/racket-yonex-b5000-cyan.htm

I am not sure if it's any good though.

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I would suggest not buying these rackets because they are really heavy and would probably put people off. I would stay away from yonex rackets and look at other cheaper brands such as carlton, apacs, karakal or any reasonable quality brand which is cheap near you. Try to stay below 90g if possible. If you have a look what else is available at local stores or online within your budget then I'm sure we can advise which would be best to go for.

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

90g is OK. Stay away from head heavy rackets, but most importantly get rackets with some flex in the shaft :)

In brief: even balance, flexy shaft, and you're good to go.

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

In this price range, you might want to look at HL, which provides equipment to lots of schools across the country. This is what my high school used.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Whatever you do, please don't buy those horrible short rackets.

6. SlvrDragon50

Oh wow, really? Thanks for the suggestions!

I thought the Yonex would be really good.

Definitely not getting the short rackets.

At the moment, I imagine 25 dollars a racket is a suitable budget, but I will be able to work with the coordinator. I have been pretty light on the budget the past semester only buying three packs of nylon shuttles. We should have enough saved up. Plus... someone did just steal about half of my rackets.

I saw HL, but I wasn't sure if it was a gimmicky type thing or not. Sounds like it's pretty good then?

7. SlvrDragon50

Not sure how to edit the previous message, I just looked up the HL rackets, and they are all above 90g unless I spend 35 bucks. I think that will be pushing it.

Is the weight really that big of an issue?

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

HL has very good low-intermediate rackets, in my opinion. I have personally used HL before. They make decent, light rackets.

9. SlvrDragon50

10. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Weight is not. Until a certain point of course. The weight distribution is how ever. The balance in the racket. But I don't think you'll find many head heavy rackets in your price range.

Shaft flex is key I'd say.

11. SlvrDragon50

Hmm, okay thanks. I'm having trouble finding a flexible shaft at this price range. Looks like that Carlton Ignite FLair is my best bet, but I imagine they won't be able to move on the price since it's on closeout.

12. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

13. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

14. SlvrDragon50

15. visor

visor Regular Member

I have a friend who's a coach with contacts in China in a well known factory. He orders and sells them to his students. I'm trying to remember the brand and website. Balanced, flexy, around 86g rackets for $30US before shipping I believe. I've hit around with them a few times, surprisingly plays like any $150 racket. Will try to get the name and some pics.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    agree with the weight issue. 91-95grams is fine. In fact, if you go under 90grams weight, those racquets might break rather easily. Beginners tend to scrape the racquets or throw racquets around.

17. SlvrDragon50

Awesome.

I'm going to see if I can get a discount on the ignite air. If not, I think I will just get the yonex rackets since they seem to be pretty similar to all the other sub 30 offerings.

18. SlvrDragon50

So I took a look at my equipment today.

I have a mix of Carlton Ultrablade 200 and Carlton 313. The Ultrablade is 120g, and the 313 is 125g. Do you think these are too heavy for use nowadays? I know these rackets are pretty old so I don't know how they compare to more recent offerings.

Both are rated to have medium flex.

My other option is to buy a reel of string and restring the rackets if I can't find another racket that will be better for a reasonable cost.

19. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

for wet weight i think that's okay. For dry weight, it's a little high. If you have a stringer, feel free to restring the rackets, but if you have to get them restrung, that's a lot of money. $20-25 per racket is what you're looking at, probably, unless offered some bulk pricing. If these people have never played badminton before, you really just have to make sure the rackets are straight, and if the strings have gone to waste then restring.

20. SlvrDragon50

Yea, that's why I figured I'll just buy new rackets. Thanks for your help!

I think I'll show my coordinator the price of the Ignite Air and see how many she is willing to buy!