User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Just Albert

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dundee / Malaysia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Just Albert

    Hi all,

    Seeing that everyone have their own post here, I will just drop a few lines about myself although it has been a long day at work and I am too tired for anything profound.

    I am now 26 and originated from Ipoh, a city located in Malaysia (which I am sure most of you badminton fanatic have heard of, unlike many of the people in UK now who will give me a blank look and ask ... where?!). I am now working in the UK although I miss home lots.

    Hmm...badminton. I guess I am at Intermediate-level. I started this game when I was 12-13 but I never joined any coaching session then. I guess i probably would have forgotten them anyways. Played a bit on and off until recently at my uni days when I personally felt that my game improved the most as I begin to understand various concepts of playing i.e. offensive and defensive strokes....which is important in setting the pace of the game. Hopefully i will continue to improve in this lovely game as I believe I still got a long way to go before being able to hold my own against really good players.

    Hope I am not being toooo long-winded. And nice to meet you all.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey Albert,


    Welcome to BF! You're a long way from home, but it's alright as long as you're playing baddy to take some sting of homesickness away. Here's hoping that you'll continue to improve leaps and bounds in the sport!

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ipoh? That very famous place where Cheah Soon Kit, Lee Wan Wah, Choong Tan Fook, Lee Tsuen Tseng all grew up in?

    Many Ipoh people all around the world. Many Sam Tek people all around the world

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From what I heard, Ipoh is getting smaller and smaller every year due to reduced development and emigration. My father's family was from there and pretty much everybody in the extended family has moved out years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Ipoh? That very famous place where Cheah Soon Kit, Lee Wan Wah, Choong Tan Fook, Lee Tsuen Tseng all grew up in?

    Many Ipoh people all around the world. Many Sam Tek people all around the world

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Malaysia =)
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yea, there are a lot of badminton players from ipoh, not only in badminton but in other fields as well. Do they really really have good management of ipoh (perak) badminton association which the management gives a lot of attention to the upcoming players when they are still young? Reminds me of the Ipoh Masters which was on for only two years ie 1999 and 2000. Any idea of what happened?

    Anyway, I thought that I was hoping to earn a full scholarship last year to further my studies in UK but to no avail. So, Albert you must be lucky to be there, but I bet the rent of the court in UK is kinda higher than Malaysia isn't it? Welcome to BF/BC...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dundee / Malaysia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha..yes..i know. Maybe it is in the waters. Which explains why I have the skills of the abovementioned players!

    (joking...I wish)....

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dundee / Malaysia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrura
    yea, there are a lot of badminton players from ipoh, not only in badminton but in other fields as well. Do they really really have good management of ipoh (perak) badminton association which the management gives a lot of attention to the upcoming players when they are still young? Reminds me of the Ipoh Masters which was on for only two years ie 1999 and 2000. Any idea of what happened?

    Anyway, I thought that I was hoping to earn a full scholarship last year to further my studies in UK but to no avail. So, Albert you must be lucky to be there, but I bet the rent of the court in UK is kinda higher than Malaysia isn't it? Welcome to BF/BC...
    well...dont think they have such a great management to up and coming players. I guess there is just a good and healthy interest in badminton back home. hmmm...what are you studying ? maybe I can help you as I am working in the university at the moment. As for playing badminton, I am lucky in the sense that I am in the Uni so I get to play in the sports center...which is quite reasonable. I also play at a local Club which charges i think 72 a year, again is quite good.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dundee / Malaysia
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And thank you everyone for your nice welcome. Indeed I am long way from home. Playing more badminton seems to cure everything

  9. #9
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Ipoh? That very famous place where Cheah Soon Kit, Lee Wan Wah, Choong Tan Fook, Lee Tsuen Tseng all grew up in?

    Many Ipoh people all around the world. Many Sam Tek people all around the world
    yeah.. its a Famous school in Ipoh. my cousin study there before.. last time they used to have crew cut hair in school.. army style. Ohh famous Ipoh chicken rice..

    Welcome to BC'BF Albert.. enjoy your stay with this badminton family.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup, UK prices for all things badminton are a complete rip-off!!

    72 for a club fee isn't bad. We're about 10 fees and 5 per night (Monday)

    But we run all year through, many clubs have finished at the moment because the season has finished until September/October

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Malaysia =)
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    Yup, UK prices for all things badminton are a complete rip-off!!

    72 for a club fee isn't bad. We're about 10 fees and 5 per night (Monday)

    But we run all year through, many clubs have finished at the moment because the season has finished until September/October
    wow, actually that's pretty expensive if compared to the area I stay in Malaysia. I only have to pay RM4.50 per hour for a court, and if we were to divide the amount among us who played, then it would be much cheaper for each person. If 5 is converted to RM, I guess it's double our price. Anyway, the living standard there is much higher than Malaysia

    btw albert, i am still stuck in malaysia, taking stpm this year. I'll try my luck next year after my results are out. thanks for ur help anyway
    Last edited by mirrura; 04-16-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    : 04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
  2. Red Willow Club in St Albert
    By OTFK in forum Canada West
    Replies: 4
    : 03-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •