Glasses

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Feng_MP-100, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    I am a badminton fanatic! But I wear glasses........ I find glasses suck! It's hard to see everything around you if you do not move your head.

Some people without glasses can see stuffs easily without moving they head. Because they can just move they eyes around! Man.... I hate when my opponent clears on me. Because when I look up, everything is blur!!!

I think I'll get contacts someday.... =( I feel very bad....................

Anyone here wears contacts??? How do people put them on and take them off? Is it hella scary........:(

Man......... I suck......

2. ryosuke

ryosuke Regular Member

student
    How strong are you glasses? I wear glasses when I play and I don't find vision a problem, but rather my glasses moving around too much after a smash or clear. During fast paced doubles rallies, it can become a nuisance as they bounce on my nose.

I've never tried on contacts myself, but my gf says it doesn't feel like there's anything there at all when they're on (she's got soft lens). Putting them on takes getting used to. Just have to keep your eye steady from flinching/blinking when you put them on. I remember it took her half and hour when she first got them. :(

3. Longshot

Longshot Regular Member

Feng,

I totally understand you. Have you ever tried the spandex thingies to hold your glasses in place? They get a little "hot" but you forget them after a little bit and it's very worth it not to have your glasses move around when you play. Here is a link to something that looks like it.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=6648&storetype=estore&estoreid=99&pagename=Front%20Page

"retainers" is what they are called.

To admins : I am not sure if I can link comercial site to the boards (I know certain places you can't), so I am sorry in advance if I couldn't, and please delete the link.

4. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    I say dump the glasses and use contact lenses :) Been using them for years without any problem. Couple of months ago, I tore one of my contact lenses. I had to wait for over a week to get the replacement ones. During that time, I played a game using my standard glasses (I have a pair for emergency purposes) And boy was it hard to play with it on. Not only do they feel like they might fall off when I make sudden movements (like when I jump smash), but they always get blurred with my sweat trickling on them. I had to pause every now and then to wipe the sweat from the lenses. It was such a drag

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I wore soft contacts ever since I started playing regularly. Only wore them for games, rest of the time I wear glasses. Glasses gives you protection from direct shots to the eyes, but it's an expensive one and also not as good as the protective sports goggles. I think some of the new glasses these days are light and snug enough to weather hours of rallies, but they deteriorate faster due to occasional drops to the floor and perspiration. Before using contacts, I always had my old regular glasses on... after three years of wear and tear, one of the metallic arms corroded to the point of breaking off.

In terms of maintanence, contacts are much easier. Just soak them in their case and leave them until your next session. It usually takes me about 2 mins or less to put on my contacts. If you're worried about protection, wear a sport goggles with it. Otherwise, you just have to be more careful about your game and being diligent with keeping the racquet up all the time.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    This is what I use (Oakley prescription eyewear, I have the old version, this is the new version pic, but they are similar) :)

I fould this to be very protective to the eye (as recommended by doctors) and they are durable (Oakley :)) and they don't look bad at all !!

Personally I strongly recommend people to wear glasses rather than contacts. I know contacts are nice to wear, but you are running a risk that you might be hit by the shuttle straight to the eye. What if the contacts break within? What if your eyeballs are hurt? I just wouldn't think it's wise to take that risk (being blind or so).

Attached Files:

7. Feng_MP-100

Student
    soft contacts break too??? God.... Why do I have bad eyes!?!?!?!!! This world is so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Er... I think he meant hard contacts... those permanent ones. Soft contacts doesn't break. It can tear while you it on, but only if you're really clumsy. However, it doesn't matter whether you wear a soft or hard contacts. The impact of a direct shot in the eye cause the worst injury because it's internal trauma... something which has to be operated on in the worst case scenario.

9. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

Try attaching rubber bands to the glasses, and hooked them together with a paper clip. Does not have to be tight to keep them in place. Its cheap and it works for me. :)

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

glasses are definetly better than contacts. I'm sure it's saved my eyes quite a few times. As for being able to see... after awhile you get used to not having peripheral vision and it doesn't really bother me.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Talking about wearing glasses.. one of the way to prevent having more power or prevent wearing glasses for those who don't wear one... take alot of grapes , vit-c eg fruits ( not those synthetic pills ). And rest your eyes when you are tired.
    Based on research and stats.. most pll wear glasses the reason is they don't rest their eyes. Not because they read in the dark or face the PC too much or watch TV too close.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I broke the soft contacts before( twice), it's just the matter of how hard you hit it.

Oakley glasses is very very durable and it should not break in at least 2 years or so. People should really get one :)

13. Feng_MP-100

Student
    You guy usually got hit in the eyes??? I never did..............

But the way, even if you dont wear contacts. I think it is still dangerous if you get hit in the eye.............

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  15. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    I wear contact lens when I play badminton...
    2 weeks discard type

16. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    just reviving this thread... I got oakleys prescripted sunglasses, similar to the picture posted above, new style i think. Actually they're just glasses that have tinted lens. Anyhow, oakleys are kinda heavy, and originally i thought they would stay on no matter how much u shake them, but they were quite loose. and since they were so heavy, the slightest movements and they would bounce around. very disapointing since i got them just for baseball. then just 2 days ago i had this crazy idea, to just bend the frame until it was small enough to fit my head shape tightly... I was suprised at how easily it bent, the very end of the frame where there is plastic. then the next day I went to play basketball in the blazing sun and they did not budge or cause any discomfort. very satisfied with the results, I went and did the same to the "legs" of my framless glasses. I just bent them in a little. Results: amazing! my glasses used to get really lose because i would sweat above the ears making my skin slippery and my glasses sliding. now i play badminton and they don't budge, i never had to touch my glasses once this session, normally i'd be fiddling with them around 10 - 20 times. try it! and it is totally not my fault if u are clumsy and snap ur frames...just a lil warning ahead of time... :p

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    instead of wearing glasses or contacts.. why not go for lasik instead? its much better and you do not need to worry since the correction is very safe.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The trend towards increasing use of glasses is more a product of our environment. The trend to urban living from rural living means our eyes are now focusing on nearer objects than before. It is not by accident that people who live in highly dense areas like Hong Kong have some of the highest users of glasses. But Hong Kong fishermen whose sights are focused longer range because they scan the vast horizon do not suffer as much.
    In time to come, evolution will have frightening consequences, if we live day in and day out seeing no farther than 20' most of the time.

19. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    well...i guess lasik is a good way to solve it, but we are complaining about the prices of badminton racquets, the truth is, a lot of people still can't afford it, i think the majority of people who got laser treatment would be people who need it, such as cops, atheletes, celebrities...glasses are not THAT inconvenient, sometimes it can be trendy too, and even bring advantages such as extra protection as long as they don't bounce around all over the place....

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

we had a thread about lasik a while back, swapping stories of people we knew who had had it done, and the horror stories, and some links. There are many reasons for and against having lasik.

I've worn glasses for 7/8 of my life, with a couple of years unsuccessfully trying contacts. I only tried contacts because I wanted to be able to wear cool shades while playing tennis. They always irritated my eyes too much. Now I always get really light frames and light plastic lenses for my glasses, so sport is easy.