Looking for new racket..need help...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by djkenishii, Jan 28, 2015.

1. djkenishii

djkenishii Regular Member

asd
    hello,

im currently using carlton powerblade 8600 , after every smashing game i felt shoulder pain. if i dun smash that much then its fine. need help finding a racket that will reduce my shoulder pain when smashing...any recommendation?

2. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    Hello,

This may not be a direct response to your question, but may I suggest adding a few sets of rotator cuff exercises into your training? IMO a few sets every other day will do wonders in strengthening that area and you can continue using your current racket. Also, I think the rotator cuff training will ultimately allow you to increase the speed of your smash as well.

If you are unable to strengthen your should and is looking into addressing that area with an equipment change, perhaps you should look into something with a softer shaft? From my experience it is the stiffer shafts that cause discomfort (in my case it's in my elbow).

Out of the rackets that I've owned/played with, I recommend the RKEP XP-70 (racket with the softest shaft). It is a wonderful racket in most respects, but I wouldn't call it a hammer in the smashing department. However, you can address it by adding some lead tape to the 10, 12, 2 o'clock positions. I made mine about 310mm tall and it has all the power I need without sacrificing the speed and playability.

Hope this helps.

3. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    If your technique is wrong, it will hurt your shoulder no matter what racquet you use. Go see a coach to fix your technique.

When I was starting to play badminton in my teens, I used my shoulder a lot to generate power so it started to hurt.
    Changed technique to use more forearm in my stroke and my shoulder has never hurt since (twenty five years ago now).

My elbow will get sore occasionally but only when I'm trying to smash too hard, but I know my technique is ok because I can generate good power and not get hurt.

4. djkenishii

asd
    Oic. what u said made sense. i will definitely try that. thanks !

5. djkenishii

asd
    any recommended coach i can go to? im located in klang valley

6. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    It's been years since I was back in KL. But saying that check with the stadium that you're playing and maybe they can give a referral. Otherwise check with the badminton shops as well.

7. djkenishii

asd
    ok will do. thanks mate!

8. luckyboyl

luckyboyl Regular Member

Hi...same as me it looks, my arm is also on pain if I smash hard and often...Voltric7, Wilson V4, Karakal BN60.

I know its due to my technique too, but I am not also that offensive player with such stamina.....issue solved after purchase of Victor Light Fighter 7400 racket, I have not felt any pain with this racket even after heavy usage. Its kida flexible, good elimination of vibrations, its very light too.....but its not for advanced singles player I think. Still looking for the perfect racket, but the main criteria I look for now, is how easy its to play and not stressing my arm. I found more flexible rackets generally do.

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I must say that improper hitting techniques, especially for fast-hard swingings, would cause certain area along your arm to feel sore. proper warm-up before the game is highly recommended, and for offensive players,.. might wanna practice smashing techniques more during warm-up. Start wih few clears, drops, flat drive, and lastly more of smashing downward but try to use only about 60-70% of your power,..

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I always try to start warm up with drives - the least stressful on your shoulder!

11. djkenishii

asd
    just got a new racket, yonex carbonex 8000ltd with 24lbs bg66 strings. first time playing it yesterday and felt it could clear the shuttle with little effort, overall a nice racket. but i think my old carlton 8600 with 27lbs tension still fares better. maybe im not used to this carbonex yet. will update more when i get to play more. cheers