ZM62 Fire reviews and comments

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zombie0517, Jan 31, 2015.

1. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I know, a lot about the new ZM62 fire has been mentioned in the Ashaway ZyMax XS string thread, but I felt the new ZM62 Fire is so special that it deserves its own thread :p

As a loyal ZM62 fan, I ordered the new "Fire" version as soon as it became available. The old ZM62 has been my favorite for the last two years, and I would be thrilled to see any further improvement made.

I have ordered both the orange and white colour. The orange coloured string seems to be a bit smoother than its white brethren but the difference isn't huge. When comparing the white ZM62 Fire to white ZM62, I have noticed the newer Fire version has a finer and smoother texture. The colour differed as well. ZM62 Fire white is bright white whereas the ZM62 white looks more like off-white in comparison.

I have strung ZM62 Fire (orange) on my Triotec T6 at tension of 28x30. Stringing has been a pleasant experience, easier than ZM62 due to reduced friction between strings. Thin gauge and stiff string makes it easy to get through shared grommets. Of course, it cannot glide through grommets like the notorious greasy NBG98, but it is definitely one of the nicer strings to string with.

The pitch measured from Carltune showed it was 2122 Hz (!), the lovely, metallic ping I was very familiar with for a long time:p hit a shuttle a couple of times and it seems to be even crispier than ZM62 :eek: and yeah, the string movement is much less in the newer fire version.

Training session is on tomorrow and will definitely put this string to the field test:p Please stay tuned.

All comments and reviews regarding to this string are welcome :)

2. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

Where did you order it?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, coming from ZM62, this is my new favourite now too. :)

And it's much more durable and holds tension much better than before.

But damn, 2122 Hz! :eek:

4. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Stringers world has it. Fast shipping too :)

5. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I absolutely love the feel of these strings.

I do feel they are actually thicker than 0.62mm... they feel more like 0.66

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I doubt that any badminton string can ping over 2000Hz with such a low :eek: tension. I had results over 2000hz with carltune, too but that wasn't the correct readingl. Did you ping more than 10 times to refer such a high frequency?

7. dmurf

dmurf Regular Member

Hi,

I have just ordered a reel of Zymax 62 Fire and was wondering how often you guys think I should restring? I am currently playing around 3 hours or so per week and as for the racket I have a Voltric 70 e-tune and will be using the heavier purple grommets and was thinking of stringing at either 24 x 26 or 26 x 28. Play style I'd say I'm an aggressive all rounder doubles player mostly

Thanks,

D

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Everyone's different. I almost never break my 62 or 62F at 23x25 lbs. But I have to cut it after about 20 hrs play time when it gets mushy.

9. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

It's all very personal! Really, you only need to cut your strings when you think you have to. While MarkA cuts strings after a day or two, you might be able to get yours to last a little bit longer :p

Deepclean1122 likes this.
  10. dmurf

dmurf Regular Member

great thanks for the feedback guys I do cut my strings after around 20 hours of use depending on how 'mushy' they get at the moment so will see how long I get out of the ZM62F.

D

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I think the 2122 Hz reading was an anomaly. I can't believe it read with any consistency.

12. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

I have also tried the ZM62F recently and found it really superb! It feels like a better version of BG66UM with slightly loose control, but incredible repulsion. However, the string moves really a lot. I am basically adjusting the string after every point. One smash, and one main string moves halfway to the next one. I got it strung about 25x25lbs by an experienced stringer who strings all my rackets. I havn't experienced such string movement with BG65, BG66UM and BG80. Is it only me or is it normal because the string is somehow slippery?

wguan126 likes this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

In my experience, it's because of the rough texture that it stays in the deflected position after being deflected. Whereas a smooth string will slip back into original position.

However this issue will lessen over a few sessions when the intersections start to develop notching.

Just enjoy the crazy repulsion in the meantime... :)

14. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Welcome to the ZyMax world where strings bcome alive n move freely.
    { ^.^} . . .

Well, u should b glad u r trying the new ZyMax string. IME, the previous generation strings move much more freely. As an after thought, with higher tension the string may just move much less...

15. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

Thanks for your replys :)

yeah I will keep playing and see if it gets better, maybe next time add 1 or 2 lbs, I think I can still handle that well.

And yes, the repulsion is insane, indeed. I am already used to BG66UM, but this is really another level.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Can anybody say something about the diameter? ZM62 (1.Gen) was really thin and popped easy. 2.Gen was durable but IMO it wasn't real 0.62. What about the 62 Fire?

17. dmurf

dmurf Regular Member

I can't comment on ZM62 as the ZM62F is the first Zymax I've got my hands on. But I did do a side by side comparison using a length of BG66UM I had left over and the gauge of the ZM62 didn't feel any thinner to me - I was using the official 'pinch test' ;)and not any actual gushing tools such as a caliper:D

Will be stringing my racket (will start with 24x26) with this tomorrow and will be at a club evening on Tuesday so will let you know how I get on...

Thanks,

D

18. dmurf

dmurf Regular Member

DOH! That should have said gauging tool not gushing tool!! Lol sorry:eek::p

19. visor

visor Regular Member

And here's the official photo comparison test... ;) 62 vs 62F

Can you guess which is which? ;)

[​IMG]

20. visor

visor Regular Member

To my eyes, very very slight difference. 62F looks slightly thicker, and also feels slightly softer on stringing.