Badminton Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by S H Yeoh, Apr 18, 2004.

1. S H Yeoh

S H Yeoh Regular Member

Badminto injuries can be caused by your opponent, your partner or by yourself.

If the shuttle is high over the net and your opponent rushes like an express train to whack the shuttle, please duck or just turn your back. Don't be a hero and risk an eye injury.

Never look behind you to see what your parner is gonna do with the shuttle. He may hit a cross-court drive right into your eye. I was hit several times but luckily at the back of my head.

A shuttle between partners always causes problems. A shout like "LET" or "YOURS" may help.

How many of you have accidentally hit yourself, usually on the fingers of the non-racket hand?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    In the past, I have occasionally hit myself on the lips and cheeks after fending off drives to my face, on either knees when I jump smashed, and frequently on my fingers when I mis-timed my service shot:eek:.

3. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Me too. Just in January this year, I smashed and nearly shaved off a small portion of my finger nail on my middle finger. It was bleeding like mad then...

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ugh... just the sound of it made me wince:eek:. I got so close to my partners' backswing so many times it's scary. I could actually feel the wind generated from their swing. Man, hope I won't get clipped by them cuz I have a feeling it's gonna be more painful than I could ever imagine. *knock on wood*

5. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    body armor

Perhaps body armor will remove the fear people have for double.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    and padded gloves/mitts.....

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes, I was hit (twice) today at my back of my head by my partner :mad: !
    Don't look back (small peaking is ok :p)

8. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I hit my thumb of my non-racket hand really hard in a match because I was getting fatigued (it was at a tournament in the semis and our opponents had taken us to three games). It swelled up but I kept playing. That was about two weeks ago. It still hurts when I put a little pressure on it. I hope it's not fractured or anything. But as long as I have my racket hand healthy, I'm still practicing. :)

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I've hit myself in a rather delicate area after a particularly bad follow through :eek:

Since then I have hit myself in the thigh with a follow through and the same as Cappy I have hit myself in the face after trying to reply to certain drives :(

As for Sheldons idea of gloves, I saw someone in the same competitionas me at the weekend wearing a Wilson golf glove on his racket hand, how odd!

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Other than got hits at my back of my heads...... I hurt my right-ankle while I was jumping and my right foot stepped in my left foot last Wednesday..... :(

11. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    And while your at it, hire body guards to jump in to block the shot whenever a birdie is about to hit you.

12. SweetDreamz

SweetDreamz Regular Member

Last year in a badminton tournament, I broke a kid's glasses when I smashed it into him. He was pretty lucky. So I now, I try to smash down more so I wouldn't hurt anyone else.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I was ready to do this, when I saw what happend to Viver in Vancouver.

Now u know the real reason of my cramp:

1. Too scared... :rolleyes:

2. Try to find an excuse to get away from deadly combo from Smashingbird and lil badrad... :D

j/k... ;)

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Nah, just get them to beat the sh*t out of your partner if he messed up and accidentally 'assault' you with his racquet:D.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

I think of all the preventable injuries... despite one of Dill's unfortunate incidents, getting hit in the eye is still the worst kind:(. I have mentioned in one of the threads about a guy losing sight in one of his eyes from his partner's shot. How about getting conked by flying racquets? Given the relative proximity of your partner, it's not impossible to sustain a concussion from his/her mis-swing:(. Not very pleasant.

#15 cappy75, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  16. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Oh... on one occasion I was hit on the head by my partner's racket when he smashed, and on another occasion on the left shoulder, by another partner's racket when he smashed. Both my fault, I started off at the T and started inching backwards to cut off fast drives, and didn't realized I had reached the middle of the court. No concussions though.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yeah, those right-dab-in-the-middle shots can be really tricky to return. That's why whenever I get those while at the net, I just take step forward and crouch down so that my partner would have better field of vision and room to go for it. Back players get better shot than the front ones, thus priority goes to them. Sometimes, it just doesn't pays to be greedy:p.

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

My smash follow through has often caught the fingers of my non-racquet hand. That smarts.

Here's another one.
    When defending against a smash, do you sometimes end up playing a shot behind you? For me it is usually because I defend backhand, and when the smash is aimed at my racquet side hip. If I can't take the shuttle in front of my, I do the bullfighter thing where you move the body out of the way and hit the shuttle after it has gone past the body. The other day I did this and really whipped the racquet to drive the shuttle back rather than block it to the net. Unfortunately my follow through was onto my arse. The impact of the frame left a big red line (which could have been hard to explain)

19. Magpie

Magpie Regular Member

During one session of badminton, one of our members (nickname: Chinese Assasin) attempted to hit a backhand drive. Only problem was, that his partner was standing right next to him. Chinese Assasin hit his partner just above the eye splitting the skin. blood was pouring everywhere and his partner had to go to hospital for eight hours to get the skin above his eye stiched. Hence the nickname Chinese Assasin.

Who ever said badminton was a non-contact sport was lying.

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Or haven't live life to the edge:D.