First time changing strings, not sure where to begin!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by briskx, Feb 5, 2015.

1. briskx

briskx Regular Member

Hey all,

I have played badminton for maybe 7/8 years and never changed my strings. I'd say I was at intermediate level.

Any ideas what types of strings I should go for and the tension? I know this is all very personal but I drop and smash a lot. I don't tend to find myself at the net playing delicate shots so often. I heard 24/25 tension seems to be standard.

Thanks,

Ed

#1 briskx, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Do u know what was ur previous string n on what racket...?

3. briskx

briskx Regular Member

I played with an Armour tech 500 for many years, I got rid of that and bought a Yonex Voltric 7 which I've been playing with the past 9 months or so. I just used whatever the default is on these rackets.

4. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually the default strings from factory Yonex rackets are usually the least expensive (Yonex BG 65), and at a low tension to prevent easy snapping (18-19lbs). You should switch from the evil empire (Yonex) and start buying some Victor's, Gosen's, or even Ashaway.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The default for Yonex isn't BG65, but something thicker, I've heard. Don't jump to the standard because everyone else is doing it. BG65 at 20-21 tension would be higher tension and lower thickness, which is usually favorable for advancing players. Rather, if you would rather stick to factory-like conditions, you could get it strung at 18-19 pounds with BG65.

6. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Assuming u r used to what is there on the racket when u bought it, would say go for 0.67mm to 0.70mm string. Recommend the Ashaway ZyMax67 or ZyMax70.

For string tension, would suggest 20-21 lbs as a starting point. As a general rule of thumb, if u could easily clear frm baseline to baseline with 90% of ur strength then u have found ur ideal tension. If u find it hard to do so, then ur tension may be too high. If the birdie is out most of the time, then ur tension may be too low.

Spend some time on finding the right string n tension, n u could b bringing ur game to another level.

7. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I started off with BG 65 @ 22lbs, then BG 80 @ 22lbs. Then, I experimented, and now I am at 25.2lbs with BG 80.

8. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    You should try 23 lbs with bg 65 or bg 65 ti!

9. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    me? I think 22lbs is a good tension to start at, not too high, but not too low.

10. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I was in a similar position to you, the first time I changed my string tension, from about 21lbs, I went to 24lbs. I immediately notice a drop in power, I thought this was too high, but after a few weeks, I really grew accustom to it and found that 24lbs is perfect for me. I just had to adapt to it. I think whatever tension you choose, you should expect an immediate drop in performance as you adapt to the new tension.

11. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I went from 22 to 23 lbs. Now I'm at 25lbs as I can comfortably clear full court with this tension, and yet have enough control. If I go any lower, I tend to hit out more often. I think that I can comfortably increase my tension by 2-3 lbs and still play as good, but the power will be kinda wonky.

12. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

I think the standard string is BG55. 22lbs is fine imo. Try not to change to many variables at the same time. Maybe keep the standard tension and just change the string?