String breakage

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mysteryman592, Feb 5, 2015.

1. mysteryman592

mysteryman592 Regular Member

IT
    Hey Guys,
    I have been having alot of people break strings more often during the last 2 weeks. I live in Winnipeg Canada and it has been a bit colder than usual, around -16 to -25.
    I have a friend that strings his rackets, Z-speed @27lbs with zymax 65 and the other Voltric 80PG @27lbs with AP62+. Zymax 65 is a .65 gauge and AP62+ is a .62 gauge string. This is what he has been using for months and the string usually last time longer than, about 2 to 3 weeks but they have been breaking at about a week. About him, he plays almost every day, intermediate to advance player.
    I have not changed anything about the way I string his rackets ever but they have been breaking so frequently I'm not sure whats wrong. I have changed the grommets, checked the gripper and clamps and they all seem fine.
    The machine I use is a pros pro, with wise 2086 and MBS flying clamps and load spreaders. What do you guys think is wrong? weather? temp? amount of playing time? tension? stringing????

2. visor

visor Regular Member

That is cold! Is it heated well where he plays? What's the temp in the gym?

Most likely the cold dry weather. It not only makes the string more brittle, but also the muscles are slower to move and react, so higher chance of mishits.

3. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Not only misshits...

I have a customer which comes with the bike to the training (one way 20 km distance). Last winter he comes to the training and outside was ~-3° C. His Racket was strung with BG65 and 9 kg. He was hitting the ball only about 4 times, than the frame collapsed (no misshit).
    I think, if the racket was strung in a room with ~20° C with 9kg and then go outside to ~0° C, the tension increase is a lot.

In the winter i have 30 % more rackets to string than summer...

4. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Shuttles slow down in the cold and strings become more fragile.

I've had the same in the last two weeks as the temperature has dropped here. I let my customers know that the cold effects the durability of strings so they can chose to back off on the tensions.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

They also shrink and "play" tighter. Bit of free control in winter;).

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    That's definitely winter causing. I had the same problem coming from a tropical climate to Australia. Strings user to have to be cut after 3 months for me. During winter they just snap in a month. Now it's summer and the strings won't die haha. I prefer stringing my usual in winter. I like it tighter.

7. mysteryman592

IT
    yea its heated to normal room temp. I think its about 23 or 24

8. mysteryman592

IT
    I also had some one strung there z force @24lbs with BG65 and it broke in a week.

There were a bunch of the breaks that were dead center and some were mishits

9. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    I am experiencing the exact same thing at the moment... Makes it seem like it's my fault haha since im relatively new to stringing

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cold and dry weather will cause more frequent string breakage. we see reports of that here in BC almost every year.