Your stringing time??

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Joel_y, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

I'd like to buy a stringing machine, and based on what I read in this board(thank to many friends here) it comes down to Klippermate M 140, eagnas easy 3 or flex 740.

I have used Klippermate M 140 for a few years , and I like it, the only complain is it took too much time because of the design(drop weight, flying clamps), it tooks about one hour for a racket.

I am wondering how much time I can save by using a fixed clamp and crank machine like easy 3, or 2 fixed clamps like flex 740 with drop weight?

Can you tell me how long it takes you to string a racket with what kind of device is used? Thanks in advance! :p

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I use M140 for about 40-50 mins/racket.

For 1 or 2 fixed clamps......you will probably get about 10 minutes faster, and that's it. Normally, it will not be faster than 30 minutes if you don't have electrical ones.

PS: Here is the timing:)
    Machine: M140
    Racket: MP-99
    String: BG-65
    Pattern: 22 main strings and 23 cross strings; two strings style.
    Timing starts from when you "open" the BG-65 sealed bag! :cool: , (So weaving time is included.)
    My Best Time: 45 minutes alone (60 minutes with GF, 90 minutes with fries and steak)

3. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    :eek: My local stringer regularly restrings within 10-15mins.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No she didn't, the fatefull day to which you refer took "the stringer" 35 minutes and what you need to remember is that among all the stringers in the shop to which you took your racket she is the most consistant becasue that is her main job!

Remember you had two possibly three games before your racket was ready!

5. ynexfan2003

I'm talking about two other occasions actually; however, most of the restrings have been good. But the day you were going to pick up the racquets, she strung one of mine, one of my mate's and a couple before those in the time it took to play three games; that was the time the cross was too tight on the 3U which made the frame narrower.

#5 ynexfan2003, Apr 19, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

She is still the best (most consistant) stringer in the shop, it's just a shame no one likes to work with gut so they always take their time in case it unravels and they always do a good job.

It must just be you that gets the bad jobs.

7. ynexfan2003

Except for that one, the string jobs have been OK; but not as good as those of Andy Gudgeon of TagSports.

...10AM; shouldn't someone be working?

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Having a well earned holiday. I go back tomorrow :(

9. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    I use a Epsilon 4 point drop weight (probably a copy of someone other machines in the market) and it takes me around 40 min per racket, strung proportionally.

Yes I am slow. :cool:

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Really? starting from opening the sealed string pack? That's way too fast.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I doubt she's using the drop weight machine.

You can't pre-string and tension all together using drop weight machine, but have to do the install 1, tension 1 process. Plus, let the cross string go through the "shared" gromment (with 1st main already highly tensioned) is just a pain.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    60 min is about normal for using drop weight machine. My time is about the same, but could be a little bit longer if I tend to relax a bit and watch TV (more like listening, :p ).

If u use M140 just for personal usage as well as small amount of "business" within local club (say, no more than 1-2 per day), it should be good enough. If u r a pro stringer, and doing real business, then, that's another story.

13. ynexfan2003

I'm not sure what sort of machine she uses, though, I should, as I've seen it a few times.
    Perhaps Dill would know as he is never out of the shop.

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I still can not believe for 10-15 min stringing work.
    Did she weave the racquet before stringing? (weaving time should be included, as I said, start timing from you took our the string from the seal bag.)

For 20 minutes, then, yes, that's fast and typical when using a babolat machine.

15. ynexfan2003

15mins. from my handing over the racquet with a pack of strings.

#15 ynexfan2003, Apr 19, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

It's not a drop weight machine the string is pulled tight when clamped through two plates and a lever moves the plates back to tension the string, I think it's called a crank but am unsure. I don't know stringing technospeak!

I'm not never out of the shop :D I just have a very good relationship with all the people that work there since I am a frequent purchaser.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's probably a different machine. From what I heard, drop weights are really labour intensive. Usually most of the store stringers I have encountered have electronic stringing machines like Babolat for tennis and squash racquets. Even handcrank stringing machines are faster than the drop weight variety since they could weave the strings first before tensioning it.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You are 100% right.

Drop weight machine is great for personal usage, since it's much cheaper compare to higher end ones. You can have one for under USD$100. The major draw back is speed (time spent), and hassel for shared gromments. Therefore, a drop weight machine will be a total nightmare if u do 3+ racket everyday.

19. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

Thanks, everyone. LB, one hour is about right for a leisure style, not in contest mode to restring with M 140. Are you in NYC? Do you play in ChiBing's club at all?

I am neither a professioner stringer nor a pro player, but given that easy 3 (6 point, clank, 1 fix clamp) only $54 more than M 140(2 points, drop weight, 2 flying clamps), I am lean to buy easy 3 to save time. Anyone have any bad experience with eagnas, easy 3 or similar machines?

15 minutes for a badminton racket restringing? it is amazing, I remember I watched a tennis racket restring contest, best score was about 13mins 30 seconds, given badminton rackets have more mains and crosses to string, and smaller grommets and less stiff and much thinner strings, 15 minutes could well be a record.
    I often heard less than 30 minutes is common for pros though. ;)

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You are not going to save much time on that machine (Easy3) because it is still a drop weight machine and still using flying clamps (only one fixed clamp). I think it will only save you 5 minutes, and that's about it.

I can use my M140 and stringing one racquet for about 45 minutes.