Crisis in French Badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by craigandy, Feb 13, 2015.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I only really heard about this from the European champs now that Brice Leverdez was chucked off the team

In front of the inappropriate and offensive behavior of Brice Leverdez, during European championships by mixed team
    the National technical director of the French Federation of Badminton made the decision to exclude the player of the French team in application of the article 4.17 of the regulation of the BWF

Apperently there is big problems between a lot of the players and the association in France at the moment see article link.
    https://fr-fr.facebook.com/TeamBadFrance/posts/335315616675465?fref=nf

Anybody in the loop with all this? never knew anything about this ongoing fued.

#1 craigandy, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Brice out of the team?... what they gonna do now.... will he approach court now?

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah I suppose if he is not in good standing with his association, they can prevent him from entering any tournaments. Wonder how things escalated so far

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some confusing reporting there.

Baku is in Azerbaijan, which is holding the European Games. The French players wants to go to the Canada / US Opens instead of the European Games to gain some Olympics points. But the French BA wants them to go to the European Games instead.

Meanwhile, they threatened to boycott the European Mixed Team Championship in Leuven, Belgium. But they went anyway.

To be honest, it sounds like the players wants to play to get Olympics qualification points. With all due respects, unlikely anyone from France will be getting any medals there. However, from the French BA point of view, maybe they should just forget about Olympic points and go to the European Games where they have a better chance of winning *something*.

While the Spanish team cannot go to EMTC in Leuven because of what? sounds like the from the article that the Spain BA is chicken because they are against strong teams Germany/Scotland? but yet, it also says Spain is a strong team with Carolina Marin in it. It is not very clear.

It sounds like we need to swap the French and the Spain players. one want to boycott but forced to go anyway. the other one wants to go and the BA says we are too chicken?

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Although the French players are highly unlikely to win an Olympic medal, just being an Olympian, especially walking in the opening parade, may be one of the biggest rewards in any athlete's career. So it is quite understandable what the players are after.

On the other hand, French BA must show the French government and people something to gain funding which will help the sport. So they have there point too.

It's unfortunate that there is no ranking points for the Euro Games. Without any track record, it's hard for BWF to grant ranking points as there may only be some high schoolers playing there.

The Spanish thing seems a publicity right or commercial right problem. Again, there is some conflict between the interests of the BA and the players.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

this all sounds pretty civilised, this was the problem before they went but obviously could see eye to eye enough with each other to go play as a team but further problems have arisen with brice leverdez being kicked off the team at this tournament after playing a couple games.
    Tensions must be red hot. I wonder if he will be allowed to enter any tournaments for the near future.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Hers's a bit more detail. https://fr-fr.facebook.com/BriceLeverdez.officiel

That day, at four in the quarter-final of the European Championships by mixed team against Germany, National Technical Director notified me orally in his hotel room, my exclusion from the France team Badminton.
    The reason: an "inappropriate behavior incompatible with the proper functioning of the team" did not want to shake hands with the President of the French Badminton Federation.
    In reality I expressed Monday February 9 to my dismay to learn, to thirty minutes of our departure for Leuven, our national coaches with whom we had done our preparation for this championship, were suddenly relieved of their duties. In this regard, I scored my disapproval of the leaders of the French Badminton Federation present in Belgium, highlighting the inconsistency sports compel best French players to participate in European Games in Azerbaijan in the month of June.
    I therefore in the interest of Team France Badminton.
    It is not permissible that the leaders of the French Federation prefer contentment of their personal political interests to the detriment of the players of Team France and the pursuit of the common good.
    In addition, it is my person, as a high-level athlete who publicly denigrated.
    In a statement, widely distributed, National Technical Director, Philippe Limouzin justifies his decision by applying the provisions of section 4.17 of the Regulation of the International Badminton Federation.
    This Article appears in the section of the Code of Conduct for players during competitions and tournaments. It punishes non-sporting conduct or clearly abusive and harmful to sport, measured in these occasions.
    No such behavior can reproached myself during my participation in Europe Leuven Championships mixed teams and fifteen years of practicing Badminton, I never had an unsportsmanlike attitude or unethical sports, against an opponent or the arbitral body.
    Falsely communicating this way, the French Federation of Executives unacceptably affect my quality professional badminton player, in my image and that of all my partners.
    Disciplinary proceedings against me by the French Federation will be the first step for me to defend myself, contradictorily and publicly.
    Thank you for continuing to support me as you have always done and encourage Team France.
    Brice LEVERDEZ

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually, just before the tournament in Belgium the different coaches of the National Team were fired because they, like the players, insisted on the need to prepare the Olympic instead of going to the European games. It is this decision that made Leverdez enter in conflict with the Direction of the Federation. This conflict is not between Leverdez and the Team but between the team and the Direction of the Federation.
    Let us hope the team will show solidarity and force the Direction to reconsider its attitude.

10. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    It will be of utmost interest to see what Peter Gade can do for FFBA. Apparently he is going to take up the job as assistent coach of France.

11. RedShuttle

There is also a rumor that they may have a new Pi HongYan in Han Li.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ahh very interesting. Although I had kinda hoped bwf would have taken him on as a interviewer/commentary etc.

13. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    Is this true? At least there's a chance that Han Li will finally be prioritized by her team.

14. RedShuttle

No idea. I doubt it.

The rumor started a long time ago. Supposedly, LYB blocked the move by giving Han Li a spot on the national team. Now that Han Li is clearly out of the picture for the Chinese national team, the story springs to life again.

15. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Does BWF have many regulation about playing for different nation?

16. RedShuttle

Yes, that's why LYB included Han Li in the national team, allegedly.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What is your source? That would be very interesting indeed

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But unfortunately I don't think it could be so useful. What the Federation need are Chinese coaches to teach kids of 14-15 years old. At 20 it is too late to learn what leads to the top level. But Brice could use PG's coaching!

19. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Ah I see, thanks

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it is two years for international competitions where you are registered by a country. Her last appearance was 2014 Macau Open.

But that shouldn't stop a person from moving to another country, be a sparring partner, acting as coach or playing in a professional club tournaments e.g. In Denmark or Germany or UK or India etc

#20 Cheung, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015