Opinions on VT-80 E-Tune

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AreYouEvenMad, Feb 16, 2015.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for a new racket. Actually I was pretty sure I want to get an VT80 but then I read an article about the new VT80-E Tune. I'm relatively sure, the normal VT80 will become a bit cheaper when the VT80 is released. But is it really worth to pay more just for some of these little grommets? I know there aren't many reviews on this racket, since it's not released yet, but maybe some of you got the chance to test it. To me this whole E-Tune technology looks like Yonex wants to throw something new on the market, but don't have any really new innovations. But please correct me if i'm wrong here :D

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I feel like the vt 80 is quite useless, yonex is getting unproductive with new technology and colour schemes and designs. I feel like it will just be or similar to the Voltric z force. I don't think it's worth it I'm sure you can stock up on lots of Voltric 80s for cheap and they're still decent.

3. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I agree with [MENTION=108967]Exert[/MENTION], I'm not very convinced with these weight tunable racquets and think they would be useless. Colour does look nice though.

I've owned a RSL X7 with the WPS - weight positioning system and thought it was a crap racquet.
    Even with full weights on it didn't feel nice to me at all.
    This RSL racquet ended up cracked after lending it to a friend (and he didn't even have a racquet clash) even though it was never used regularly.

I think this V80 E tune racquet without the weights would be on the light side and would come up to a standard weight with the full weights on. Being light I expect it to be very fragile similar to the flashboost and other light.

This racquet is more of a marketing gimmick to me. You can always buy a standard racquet and weight tune it with lead tape yourself.

4. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think that the "E-tune" series is a waste of money, its nice to have adjustable weights around the head.
    I would try one but I wouldn't have one long term

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the whole Etune technology is useless. You need to restring to change the head weight. That's redarded if you don't use a tension above 30 lbs and a BG66UM. I think that VT80 is a grat racket. some athletic tape does also work well if it's not head heavy enough, but I don't think that alot people need a headheavier VT80.

6. BlessedOne

BlessedOne Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    I was misled & misinformed by you guys after reading these negative remarks about the VT80 Etune. I mean if you all haven't even tried, you guys should refrain from speculative comments. I actually believed you all that the racket is useless until I tried the 4U with all the parts installed 2 days ago.

It's an awesome, powerful, fast racket, better than zforce i & ii & old VT80. It's a VT80 perfection & it's selling like hot cakes. The 4U with all the added parts is better than the old 4U.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Actually it'd be interesting for someone with this racket to try something...

Instead of using any parts at all, just use a few inches of athlete tape at the usual 2 and 10, and if needed 4 and 8 positions...

I'm pretty sure the outcome would be the same as using the weights. In which case, I rest my case... ;)

8. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    it slows down the swing speed although it is still light to me.

9. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Alternatively, u can get one n test it on our behalf...
    { *.^}

10. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    You'll realise after a while, this forum is populated with Victor fanboys, or employees... or those who are sponsored by Victor. Unfortunately, that doesn't make them objectively assess rackets of other makes for what they are, even if yes, Victor does make good equipment.

You'll realise in no time, those who will offer useful opinions vs. plain trolls!

The Voltric 80 E Tune is a good head-heavy racket, not anywhere close to the Z Force in head heaviness, and friendlier to use than the Z Force 2. If you liked any of these rackets, chances are, you'll like the VT80ET.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, the only thing that I'm guilty of being a fanboy of is... badminton.

This racket is probably and sounds like a good racket from Yonex. With specs that are more manageable than ZF1 and 2. It's just that despite the weights being kinda but not really innovative (a few other companies have done this already), the effect can be similarly and easily replicated with athlete tape.

12. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Haha... not you, certainly - your reviews and comments are always well balanced and highly informative!

Yeah, the E Tune idea is a bit of a cop-out. But it shouldn't bias views on the racket itself... think of it as a base racket with possible (and fairly inexpensive) upgrades! (With every new round of stringing though.)

I am, by the way, also a recent Victor fan, but this racket's solidity (and artwork!) just blows everyone else out of the water... like the original VT80, it's hard not to like (and it's so much prettier)!

13. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

I completely agree that this forum is heavily biased by those who are getting endorsed or sponsored by Victor. Even my local racket shop is now offered more commission to really push to sell Victor but he still have to face the fact that people will still go for Yonex and the fact that VT80etune was quickly sold out for him and TK9000thruster are still pilling up in his storage no matter how hard he tried to convince people to get one. I use Victor for my shuttles and bag, like their products but somehow not very happy at how the members here giving very biased opinion on rival rackets especially Yonex (even they haven't used the racket!). This is purely an opinion of a neutral user, I don't receive anything from Yonex or Victor, instead I'm paying to buy their products but just would like the Victor cult guys to not mouth off on Yonex rackets if you haven't even used one!

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I was able to compare the VT80 etune to my ZF2 and I still prefer the ZF2. To me the VT80 etune feels slugglish but more forgiving probably because of the less stiff shaft and larger frame size. That doesn't mean the ZF2 is a better choice for everyone as it really depends on what level you are.

15. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Yes, I most certainly agree! If anything, it's to the consumer's benefit that we're getting a plethora of options for rackets... quite a far cry from say 2 decades ago when each big company released one racket in a year or so! I suppose even the much maligned GlanZ will find its place...

I don't see anyone slamming the Carltons or the Ashaways even in the days when the rackets were popular... and truth be told, Yonex does make rackets that are far, far more durable than any other make. And it shows. (Well, the old ones anyway.) Yes, Victor's new rackets are exciting and very forward-looking indeed, but I'm sure they stood on the shoulders of giants!

Ultimately, the consumer - i.e. us - gets more choices to use our favourite tool. It's the same BMW vs Mercedes, Apple vs Samsung debate... and bashing other brands because you don't necessarily subscribe to their products or business models is juvenile. Just buy what you like and don't buy what you don't ;)

Now, if Yonex could make better shoes.......

16. mikescully

If money is involved, there will be a tendency to say negative things about competitor, not only not acknowledging good rackets even bashing the obviously great rackets, somehow Yonex just proved haters they're wrong and for us neutral users we prefer to tell it as it is, and it goes without saying who's still making the best rackets now, once you got those rackets for the game they won't lie and as much as rivals will criticize I think some of their top rackets are undoubtfully solid and still delivers.

17. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I am a victor fan becuase they dont tend to sell well in India and eI get those products at throw away prices because of that . I see them more innovative than yonex in the past 10 years but yonex leads in say singles racket while victor makes better doubles racket . How ever I dont think a victor fan would be biased against yonx but this e tune ( technology not racket ) is crap because you can add tiny lead tape which is in all essence same . How ever even victor powerizer is a crap poduct because it cost the same as a lead tape and can be used in 2 -3 rackets while tape can be used for the whole club .

18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I had about 5 minute of stroking with a 4U copy. I must say this racket did surprise me. Delivers excellent power while still being decently fast. The head weight is very assuring as you can really feel where the head is. This racket only has the normal black parts on as my friend has no need to make it any head heavier plus I prefer it that way for testing, stock. However it may have been the string (BG66F) and grip combo that brought out the exact reason why I have moved away from Yonex since their inception of the Voltric and Nanoray lines. But it still has the same problem of being absolutely dull in feel. I do suspect however that it might have been the problem brought about by BG66F.

But I give this racket credit where it is due. Even fron the back court the 4U was raining some pretty impressive bombs for someone like me who much prefers the even balanced to slight head heavy rackets. Backhand clears were extremely easy to do even when getting to the shuttle a bit late. I found it very satisfying to play block defences instead of lifting with this. The head weight and solid construction make it easy to just place the head in the path of the shuttle and leave it there to do its job. But I really don't find it as stiff as the old VT80. It definitely feels less stiff and to me coming on par with the TK9000 for stiffness. All in all for a short 5 minutes the racket did impress me but not enough for me to ever spend my own money on it short of it coming in really cheap and in good condition used or I come upon a minor windfall.

19. kevinsung

kevinsung Regular Member

Student
    I had the same impression with this racket. I bought a 4U SP version for a decent price of $125 and installed the gold parts instead of the red ones. The head-heaviness of the racket is no where near ZFII as I was comparing both rackets, but the VT80ETN still gives the feeling that tells you where the head of the racket is (unlike head-light or even balanced rackets). The clears are great, block defenses were superb. The racket didn't shake or tremble even a little when receiving a hard smash, it's a very solid racket. The stiffness of the racket is also no where near ZFII and that makes this racket more forgiving and not as demanding as the ZFII for an intermediate player like me. The only downside of this racket is the E-tune thing. I wanted to try every configuration but the need to cut and re-string for every time I want to change its settings are quite upsetting.

Although I've only had a few strokes with the old VT80, I wonder why people say the VT80ETN is the same racket as the old VT80 + lead tapes. Its clearly a whole different racket with a whole different feeling. I was let down by the comments from other people saying that the racket is useless and not worth buying until I gave it a shot and bought it anyway.

20. mikescully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=136&v=38Zf1yhEl_Q

I think their power cushion technology is still the best and I wouldn't look elsewhere for shoes as in this 3 years playing badminton with my Yonex power cushion luckily no ankle injuries :)