After some broken racquets: Looking for a new one

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DeichPlayer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. DeichPlayer

DeichPlayer Regular Member

Student
    hey!

After I broke 1 Victor Super Inside Wave 32 (shaft near handle), 2 Yonex Nanoray 300 (wood) and just yesterday 1 Victor Spira 21 (same as SIW 32) - all with backhand strokes - I am looking for a new racquet...

I like the feel of hh, stiff racquets, but I am not sure if this is the course for my backhand to break the racquets. Should I try a more flexible one? Did anyone had the same problem?

2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Never broken a single racket with a backhand stroke in my life! Something strange you are doing. Yes a medium flex or flexible might help but I would get someone to have a look at your technique first.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I hope that while so many people are out smelling the flowers, someone is taking the time to plant some.

3. DeichPlayer

Student
    Already asked two of my coaches. They did not see anything special :-/ but I will ask my old coach too when I see him today. I might record myself and post a video if I will find the time this week.

Playing badminton for 15years (starting at 10) now I never broke a racquet myself till the beginning of 2014 - broke all of the mentioned since then... Victor and Yonex replaced all of them, but it still sucks.

4. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    You are breaking the rackets at the shaft mostly right?

Yes it always sucks to break rackets, I broke 2 recently but one was a clash and the other from a mishit smash, both on the frame.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I hope that while so many people are out smelling the flowers, someone is taking the time to plant some.

#4 InvincibleAjay, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. DeichPlayer

Student
    Yes. Just the Nanoray broke at the wood.

6. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    This is what I find strange, yes its possible that you are just having bad luck but I rarely see rackets breaking at the shaft or the wood.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day

7. DeichPlayer

Student
    Any idea what could be the cause? A to strong grip? Stopping the racquet to quickly when hitting the shuttle?

8. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    What backhand stroke were you doing? clear, smash, drive, net kill?? You want to follow through and not have sudden stops when performing any shot, the only exception is tight net kills when you don't want to hit the net or impede the opposition side but as this uses less power, no racket should break during this shot.

Post a video of your backhand technique and if you remember which shot you did when your racket broke and I can have a look at it.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day

9. DeichPlayer

Student
    BH clear and smash. Seems like I am not always following through. Am I right, that the follow through motion is created more or less with the wrist? The shoulder is stoping at some point.

10. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Not wrist, forearm rotation. You can either follow through or pull back, the idea is to not suddenly stop, this not only can break rackets as you have shown but can cause injury if not careful. Also stay as loose as possible, backhands are easy if you don't

This video explains the farearm pronation and supination, (traditional backhand):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9B2XtqICFw

I use a slightly different grip than the normal backhand grip where the thumb is at the back, I use the bevel grip, Anna Rice does a great video, check it, this also explains the method with not follow through but whipping back as the top players do:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T7KFQ-cC8w

I hope this helps. Remember that all players do backhands slightly differently and what works well for one doesn't for others, however you need to correct foundation and the above two videos should help. Good luck!

EDIT:
    Also as video how Taufik Hidayat does his backhand smash, see the forearm rotation to generate power.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAxrXIT1jI

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can.

#10 InvincibleAjay, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  11. DeichPlayer

Student
    Definitely Gonna try these methods in my next session - Thanks a lot.

Still need some new rackets - just one Spira 21 left and hard to get in Germany/Europe. Are there any alternatives? I am not bound to any brand. Looking for something stiff, slightly head heavy with a aerodynamic frame.

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    You can also try some Forzas. They are stiff to very stiff and slightly head heavy and easier to get here in Germany. They also have an aerodynamic frame, close to the Braveswords.

13. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    I have many rackets but currently a favourite of mine is the Victor Bravesword 12, an even balance racket and medium stiff but feels great to use. My No1. favourite racket atm is the Nanoray 750, a very head light racket so it may not suit your game. See if you can find a store that can let you try a few to see which you like the feel of.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can.

14. DeichPlayer

Student
    I think I will start with some Forza rackets - Forza Kevlar CNT Power 9900 VS sounds interesting - and the brave sword 12.

Tried the NR750 some weeks ago. Quiet nice and damn fast, but lags some power for me. Also tried the Nanoray Z-Speed, not as bad as I always read, but I probably needed more to time to adjust my timing.

Any opinions about the rkep xp60 or xp70?

15. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Normally the shaft of flex or medium flex rackets break more easily than of stiff rackets.
    My Brother a U13 player already managed to break 2 shafts of a flexible top racket. OrSho Sasaki a serial shaft breaker plays a rather flexible racket.

In the past I broke lots of rackets at the handle but mostly from smashes. Since i play with li ning rackets (n90 n90 ii n50i n50 ii) i have only broke 5 rackets in ~5 years.
    n90 and n90 II handle; the n50I and n50 II at 12 o'clock position and one N90 II due to heavy clash.

If you have excellent core- and wrist strength you can try the Li ning n90 II. It is like a more user friendly version of the siw35.
    The n90 II is stiff, head-heavy, very stable, powerful( but only if you are fit enough) and very durable (when the handle or the shaft breaks and the racket does not looks like a tank run over it, you get a free replacement). Defensing with this racket is nice as well, you can place your defense shots very well(for me the best racket in the defense area)
    Backhand clears and drops are easy to execute.
    But the n90 II is not the fastest racket so its not for hardcore doubles player.In drive battles you have a nice penetration with it, but when it gets too fast you cant keep up.
    (Bg80 at 13 kg mains 12.5 kg cross top->down strung 2 piece 4 knot is my setup with for this racket)

16. DeichPlayer

Student
    Thanks! I will try the n90 II, too. How about the third generation of the n90? Any mayor improvements? Or just a "repaint" of the n90 II

17. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure RKEP XP70. I have 5 of them. Obviously it's my go to. :D

18. DeichPlayer

Student
    Any racquet it is comparable too? I like to test a racquet before I buy it. ;)

19. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Li Ning naming is wired you cant tell from the name how the racket plays:
    The the racket assignments to the series like pro master, mega power, extra skill etc... than there are categories like wood, Fire, Windstorm etc.. and the N numbers with I, II , III.

The rackets n90 I, n90 II and N90 III are different rackets. n90 is medium stiff(-) most head heavy, the N90 II the most stiff of those 3 aifk. But I never had the chance to test the 90III.
    N90 is best singles only racket. N90 II good all-round racket, very nice in mixed.

If you play lots of doubles you take a look in the N9 as well, it is very popular for its user friendliness and played by one of the physically strongest badminton players ( Fu Haifeng). So it should be able to handle your backhand.

20. DeichPlayer

Student
    The n9 is more flexible? Maybe I will give it a try, too. Never had a Li Ning racquet. Quit pricey in Germany, but if they work it is worth the try.