String Breaking near the sweetspot

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ShuttleCocks, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    Hello ! This is my first time posting on the forum about stringing. I purchased a machine maybe 5 months ago and have been stringing very regularly. I've gotten into the groove and have been stringing quite comfortably. My peers have been wonderful in supporting me, and trusting me to string their rackets, so I've been doing quite a few.

My issue is that recently my peers have been breaking their strings within the 2 weeks. Some apparently down the middle on the sweet spot. Everything I do is quite standard and I was taught by someone who's very knowledgeable. At first I thought it may be the -20 weather we have here, but I am starting to get worried that i'm doing something wrong. Is there something I am doing wrong that would cause strings to break near the sweet spot ?
    sorry for the long post

KK

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how much wear is there in general over the string bed? how many of your clients have experience this?

i have a client who consistently break string near the string bed withing 3 weeks or so. all the racket that comes back are fairly worn so it shows that he plays a lot and those are standard wear and tear. he is already using BG65 but he hits pretty hard so there isn't much that i can do.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh yes there is...

ZM69 Fire... :D

4. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    There has been 3 so far ! The first time i assumed it was because the string was a bit twisted ( twisting when I thread the cross, I redid it for the client. But recently, another client had 3 rackets done, and popped all 3 within a 2 weeks. It was BG66ult, 115% prestretch at 26x28

5. knielsen

knielsen Regular Member

Depending on how much he's playing that doesnt sound all the bad.

Ultimax is not durable in any way, and at that tension with the prestrech, it will definately break quite fast.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

BG66UM can go whenever basically at that tension. Half a session, One session, one game, that is quite common if you are a hard hitter.
    I suppose a list of the faults on your side could be
    1.clamps pinching too tightly or faulty damaging the string
    2. fault with the tensioner clamp and or tensioning system damaging the the string
    3. Grommets faulty damaging the string
    4. the string catching on tools, tables, stands etc and being damaged whilst stringing
    5. damaging the string with tools trying to get through holes etc.
    6. damaging the string with friction as you are string.

If you are careful with all of these things, it is out of your hands really.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I wouldn't worry about people breaking BG66 UM, if anything, it's their own fault for wanting that string. If they can't afford new strings twice per month, then they need to reconsider their string choice.

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Agreed, BG66UM is not durable unless it is at lower tensions.