Possible winner MS at OL

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Gade supporter, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

I think there is a couple of players who can win the OL, if think it could be funny to add a poll can you help me Kwun. But if not just write one of the following names in your post.

Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai, Xia Xuanze, Chen Hong, Taufik, Peter Gade, Lee Hyun Il, Wong Choong Hann, Shon Seung Mo, Ronald Susilo and Park Tae Sang, i think the others dont have a chance.

#1 Gade supporter, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  2. Gade supporter

Well my own vote goes to (not surprised) Peter Gade. I think if he can gain a little bit more stamina he maybe cant be beaten. Because if he plays his best then no one not even Lin Dan can beat him, maybe he was beaten by Lin Dan in both England and Japan, but he lost his stamina both times, and thats the problem. Gade with more stamina could maybe be the old Gade.

3. Morten

Morten Regular Member

remember that only 3 singles from china will participate. I dont think Ronald and Shon can win as they never have proven that they are up to it 100% when it really counts. My bet would be Xia(WC 03 and All England), Lin Dan(number1 and mentally strong), (Peter Gade WC 01 finalist, All England, Grand Prix finals 99 and 99 and 00 semifinalist in WC and the olympics), Wong(finalist WC03), Taufik(WC 01 semifinalist, perhaps finalist if it wouldn't have been for an injury) and perhaps Lee hyuin ill. All these shuttlers have proven that they are up to there best when it really counts, but players like Taufik and Gade still have to work with there mental strengh, however Gade has regained some calmness after his comeback. Xia and Lin are mentally strong and has the offensive play to reach a very high lvl at their best. Wong has the fighting spirit and as Lin and Xia the offensive play. Taufik and Gade perhaps are the most skilled players in the world right now, but both are still struggling to get their finally comeback, Peter due to his 1year injury, taufik due to lack of training and the indonesian badminton federation. it's exciting to see the condition of the players after the Thomas Cup, I think we will get a hint in Thomas Cup and Malaysia Open of who is gonna go for the gold and get it. my bet would be Gade, Lin Dan or Wong

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    basing on the past history, Gade never wins when it counts... (WC,OG)
    Will it change this time??? I personally think this will be very difficult for him to overcome.
    He might reach the semi-final or the final playing superbly, and then collapse at the most important moment as he always does!...

5. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    errr.... as usual.... my vote goes to Lin Dan :p :D

6. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

I think it will all depend on the draw. I would guess that Lin Dan, Chen Hong, Taufik, and Peter Gade would have better chance than others to reach semifinals, I'm not sure if Xia will qualify the Olympics considering his current ranking. The winner would be determined by who meet who.

I think whoever show superb performance in the Thomas Cup, they might not play at their peak performance in the Olympics, this is just my theory. I have a feeling that the Olympic winner is not the first or second seed, there is too much pressure for the seed players in the Olympic.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Xia is already Qulaified, what is uncure is Whether his national team (CHN) decide to send him or use one of the others.

Chen Hong-IMHO will Never win major tournament

Xia-Wont win, Think Used all mental reserves in WC, will retire at end of year

Wong-Wont win, can play very well for a few matches, but think cant quite make it till the end

Lee Hyun Il- Wont win, can beat the top players on his day, but not for whole week

Taufik-Maybe, you never know, but still doubts whether hecan do it when needed

Gade-Maybe, can beat the topmen consistently day after day, but not sure whether when he gets to the finals whether he can do it.

Lin-Probably, beats lesser players easy, keeping him fresh for later stages, and doesnt seem to be affected by nerves.

(All others IMO wont win)

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

So it's all down to the luck of the draw like 2003 All England Men's Final.

Chen Hong I think should be remembered for his consistency, remember how he wet thru furious rounds in AE 2001 and 2003 and only lost because he was exhausted.

Nowadays I think, people can read his moves like a book and be well ahead of him in a game.

I think he still cant realise what other players said, the power of the smash doesn't matter,its more the speed. accuracy, steepness and deception to elict a weak return.

9. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    I VOTE FOR LIN AND BAO!!! THEY ARE MY HEROES!!!:p

10. floorfilla

floorfilla Regular Member

jamesd20 "Xia-Wont win, Think Used all mental reserves in WC, will retire at end of year"
    Where did you get this info from? :confused: or is it your own opinion?

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    My opinion, Chen Jin will replace him at somepoint during next season.

Just the way he plays to me looks like he doesnt want it as much. Look forward to seeing him prove me wrong though, when he really wants it he is a joy to watch.

12. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    Xuanze is retiring??? :eek:
    NOoooooooooooooooooo............... xuanze........ [​IMG]

xuanze jia you xuanze jia you.....
    but still muz take care of the injuries n don let them recurred....
    hiaz... poor xuanze got injuries here n there.... hope it doesn't affect him n he can perform well in the coming tournaments :)

13. Morten

Morten Regular Member

As said before the Chinese shuttlers become a lot of injuries in a young age due to their training program. At age 10 they sometimes train 3 times a day and a body will sooner or later be tired and weak and i guess thats the main reason in why shuttlers like Ji xinpeng, Sun Jun and Xia peaks at early age and retires in the mid20´s. I know Xia hasnt yet but it looks like he does just like the amazing Sun Jun who in his mid20's was totally burnt out. But China has lots of young players who can replace the "old" ones..

14. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    i'd stick my head out and go for taufik to win olympics. i totally admire his natural ability and style of play, and although he has gone thru a lot of problems, i believe he has what it takes to win, the question is to get himself in the right frame of mind.

15. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    I'd go for Taufik cos hes been simply amazing after coming back from a lot of problems, i mean i saw him live from the quater finals to the finals in the ABC championships in KL and i was like..whoa, hes finally "back".

However i'd also go for Gade cos I would want him to win the olympics cos i think hes finally on the road of becoming like the "old" Gade and i think he deserves it. Hes got what it takes to bring home the medal.

On the other hand..Lin Dan really is superman cos of his consistent play, plus hes been on the roll and is probably the fave to win the olympics. Lets just see whether he'll run out of gas first though..during the olympics of course.

The other person i would really like to root for is Wong Choong Hann. I believe that he can win the olympics and bring home the gold medal. I like his style, his play and just about everything about this man. The other reason why i would like him to win is that he may retire after the Athens Olympics. And if he does...where will Malaysia be without him? :( Of course there are young rising stars like Lee Chong Wei but still...T_T

16. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Lin Dan and Taufik are my favorites.
    But don't underestimate Sony Dwi Kuncoro. ;)

17. baihaki_as

baihaki_as Regular Member

this is the first time i post in this forum, i think taufik will won the olympic, the hardest opponent for taufik just peter gade and Lin dan especially peter, he has a bad history when he met peter, but the most importance he must control his emotion if he can control it nobody can't defeat him

18. Gade supporter

Taufik is perhabs the biggest talent in MS, but I dont think he will never be the best. He had a lot of problems with Indonesia and stuff, and I think that affected his game. Another example of great talent, who I think never will be as good as she could have been, is Mia Audina, she was already a professional at the age of 14, but her problem has always been pshysically, when she was playing against the best players, she could might win first, and then be close to win 2 and lose it all. There is no doubt about technic it is the best I think of all the WS players. So I think these 2 never will develope their great talent.

19. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think if Taufik decides he really wants to win the olympics, he will be just about unstoppable!! :cool:

Peter Gade will surely be in very good shape at the olympics but I still think he will tumble at the last moment... :rolleyes:

Wong CH and Lin Dan are my two other logical favourites, though they still need to prove they can win when it really counts...

There are of course many other players who have chances of winning, including Sony Dwi Kuncoro, or any of the Chinese who will participate.

The difference between all these players will be the quality of their preparation (in order to peak at the right moment), and their mental strength.

Overall, I would say Taufik has the most chances in my mind, but wait and see... ;):D

20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I'm not sure the Chinese get injured more than others?... I think the Danes get injured a lot too! (Rasmussen, Gade, Camilla...)

And same thing with all the countries, whether european or asian doesn't change anything...

I think Europeans peak later (and retire later) mainly because of their different style of play (and because of social background also).