New Stringing Flow - stringing BSLYD+BG66F

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I mentioned that I have a new stringing flow but haven't posted a video. I have been using this new flow for a couple of months and the feedback has been positive so far. The results is closer to a standard Yonex pattern but the tensioning pattern is closer to Haribito.

I also changed the way mains are strung doing pre-weave and then tension. I am still not too happy with that flow so I might improve it later.

Cross has the biggest change. I pre-weave 6 cross from the bottom and start one ahead tension at the 7th string, when those are done i go back and tension the bottom 6 strings. this way the middle strings are tensioned first which gives the result a better feel. The ultimate is still 50/50 but right now that seems to be too much investment in time.

I am still getting used to the flow and not the smoothest at the moment. 23mins is slower than my previous flow but it it worth it for the better result and time will improve either by a smoother execution or further refinements.

ps. the racket is a brand new JP Victor BS LYDN and the string comes from a JP reel of BG66Force. the owner of the racket is a very nice gentleman who is also a BC member.

[video=youtube;_gVBlt5dzD8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gVBlt5dzD8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hey Kwun,

Thanks for posting all these videos. As a beginner stringer, I've learned a lot from your advice and watching you string.

23 minutes is a time I can only dream of right now. :)

I didn't get time to watch the whole video yet, so this could be a dumb question, but...

What is the difference between "50/50" and what you did in this video?

#2 Gollum, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gollum, glad you find the videos useful!

here is the 50/50 tensioning pattern:

[video=youtube;-E-QHXkRafo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-QHXkRafo[/video]

the advantage is that cross strings are symmetrically tensioned from the center so there is no skew in the racket shape and the mains strings are more evenly tensioned. the feel of the string is best using this pattern but it is more time consuming.

what i did was more like a 30/70. a close approximation.

4. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I love the idea! Thank you very much, Kwun, for your advice and videos. I learned stringing from badmintoncentral and it was great help. Now I string using Haribito standart and also pre-weave the mains in a same way. I use some small clamps on the very end of the pre-weaven strings, outside the frame, to keep ends tight.

Was thinking about 50/50, but never got to try it. I think your 50/50 variation is awesome, will try tomorrow.

What would be ideal cross to start tensioning for the best feeling, what would you suggest?

#4 stradrider, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how do you clamp outside the frame? the problem I had was that the side support are in the way. so i ended up using a flying clamp inside the frame. it works OK, but doing it outside with a starting clamp might be more secure.

as for starting string for 50/50, if i remember correctly i started right at the middle string, for the AT700 that was on the video, i started on the 12th string. honestly i don't know i going up and down one will make much of a difference at all.

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thanks kwun now I know the pattern to
    My lyd so I can string it when I break the strings :D

7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Oh, I was not clear... I clamp the ends of the pre-weaven mains outside the frame, so that they will stay tight and will not be in the way when tensioned.

I will try to use starting clamp to start the crosses in the middle I think, will see if I can manage to pre-weave all the way to the middle efficiently :).

May be going 50/50 style will help a little to avoid squeezing the top of the racket?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. that's a good idea! as u can see, mine moved around quite a bit. i will try that next time. a good use of those flying clamps that i have.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    50/50. u should try it out and see how it works out for you on your machine. for the couple of times that i did 50/50. the feel of the string bed turned out really nice. the problem is that it does take longer to do. however, i have a feel that the next evolution of my flow will be 50/50. i just have to deal with it, and find some ways to speed it up, or just practice it a lot.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    mind you that this is not specific to the LYD. it will work for any racket.

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Oh well >.<

12. bb654456

bb654456 New Member

I have a qustion that, since you pull the strings(especially crosses)so fast, don't you afraid it would burn the coatings? I read some threads in Chinese have the same concern.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Noticed that i pull the cross at an angle first. That reduces fiction so they don't burn.

14. bb654456

bb654456 New Member

yep I've noticed that and i know you mentioned the angle in a video about how to weave crosses years ago:cool: I just think that pulling crosses smoothly(not that fast) with an angle would be much safer~lol

thanks for your answer.:)

15. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

credit for kwun developing a new flow
    will try it out next time!!!

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh nice, you even have a video explaining 50/50. :)

Looks interesting. I will try it sometime and see how the result feels.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    try it out and let us know how it feels. i did it twice and both times the result are better than normal.

however, it does take longer but it is usually a matter of practicing in order to improve speed. i have a feeling the next evolution of my flow will be 50/50.

18. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Thanks for sharing Kwun, first of all, I'm jealous, you are bloody fast and efficient...lol. I suppose it helps having an electronic machine so while it tensions, you can do things ahead. I cannot do much more faster with my dropweight.

However, I was already preweaving and doing the mains like you do in the video and I also do 50/50 on the crosses, I believe Mark A told me a long time ago that was great to do :) I'm proud of myself..lol.

Finally what finishing knot are you using? I've never seen someone hand pull like you are doing, have you got another video demonstrating what you are doing, you are doing it so fast, I'm not sure if you are doing the rocking back and 'J' motion like described in some videos to take the slack from the last string. Please can you explain this further. Thanks.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] do you do proportional stringing at all? I think I saw you change the tension a couple of times. I'm giving this a go now, top 5 and bottom 4 crosses same as mains. Middle 13 at +2.

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Measured wrong and ran outbid f string so resorted to my usual bottom up. Luckily on my own racquet as using the same bit of string again has effectively prestretched and come out 1/2lb higher than intended and will settle higher. You only did the usual 3 spans for the crosses so I left myself too much on the bottom section.