Recommendations for String and Tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by eric_h, Feb 26, 2015.

1. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I currently own a Yonex Nanoray 60 and it came pre-strung. I have upcoming competitions to play and am looking to get it re-strung. I need recommendations on what Yonex string and tension I should get. Generally, I'd like to have a satisfying sound, high repulsion and durability, as I am more of an attacking player.

The manufacture recommendation on my racket is 19-24 lbs. My stringer said that I did not have to follow the range and could go higher if I wanted to, but I don't want to risk breaking the frame. I also would like the strings to retain its tension for a long time as well. What would be the most suitable Yonex string and tension for me?

Sorry if I am being vague, ask me for anymore information.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    When you say upcoming, how soon?

3. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Yonex BG80 gives good repulsion and durability, tension is specific but 23/24 should be great for feel and control. Both string and tension is specific so try some and see which you like best, there is not one correct answer that fits all. The above is a good starting option.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    @Ajay my concern here is that changing his string just before a competition to something he's completely not used to will effect his game.

5. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Yonex rackets that come pre-strung likely falls in the 18lbs-22lbs. At this low tension, did this enable you do to full court clears without requiring too much effort?

If so, then you want to increase your tension probably nearer to the upper end of the manufacturer's recommendation and play a few games before the competition.

As with strings, must be be Yonex? I can think of BG80 (good repulsion and tension retention, but not that durable), Nanogy 99 (pretty much good in all areas, slightly less power than BG80, but more durable and more control). Avoid BG65, BG65ti, BG66 because they are not known for holding tension well.

I would also suggest the Ashaway Zymax range of strings which are up there in terms of holding tension. Zymax 70 is the most durable string being much thicker, power is also good but not as repulsive as BG 80.

6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I understand but changing from the default factory strings will help his game, the bog standard strings Yonex use are rubbish, from my memory in the UK, Nanoray 60 comes with BG55 strings tensioned between 20-22lbs, lmao, poor string and low tension but IMO.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.

7. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    My tournament is next Wednesday, but it's not really a serious one. More of a "practice" tournament. The one I must take seriously though is 4 weeks from now.

8. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    I do require a little bit of effort to get deep clears. I don't know if that says anything about my technique or strings. Generally I can hit pretty far if I try. And yes it must be Yonex brand because my stringer only offers Yonex. Lol

Thanks for your advice though~

9. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    Thanks. My stringer says he uses BG 65 almost all the time to re-string for everyone, although he offers all the Yonex strings. But from this forum I see a lot of mixed opinions on BG 80 and BG 65. So right now I don't know which one to get.

10. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Strings have little incremental effect on your strokes and it is a personal thing. You like some and dislike some. You just need to experiment with different strings and find the one that suits you.

BG65 is a soft feeling string, more durable than BG80 however it loses a lot of tension. There is a thread about this on here about other peoples' experiences.

BG80 is a hard feeling string (you feel the impact of the shuttle more as it strikes the stringbed), and is better at repulsion and control than BG65, however not as durable.

Between the two, I would recommend the BG80. The tension suggested by Ajay would be a good start I reckon.

11. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    Okay thanks. I think I will start myself off with the BG 80 at 24 lbs. First time re-stringing my racket so I'll see how it plays out as a starting point, but I think I will like it. Since 24 lbs is within the manufacture range, what happens if the racket were to potentially break? Is it the stringers fault or mine? And am I able to get some kind of warranty for it?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I think a leap that big will make you uncomfortable. If you start feeling any strain or pain in your arm, then listen to your body.

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's hardly possible to get something that offers satisfying sound, high repulsion and durability. I read in your profile that you use feather and plastics. With plastics you never get a good sound regardless which string. Durablity with plastics is also low if you choose a string with high repulsion. IMO you shouldn't use anything higher than 24lbs. Not because of breakage. I sounds like that you go for your first stringing job, so you can't be long in the game.
    I recommend NBG99. BG80 will not hold long with plastics. Anything thinner can be ignored.

14. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    I tried my friend's racket who just re-strung his racket. He's got BG 65 at 24 lbs. It doesn't feel too bad, I like how it has an increased amount of control. Although I am not sure how it would feel playing for hours.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    BG80 is also a thin and hard string. It's a little less forgiving than BG65. But yes, like I said, just be aware of what your body is telling you.

16. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

NBG99 I would go for. It is a good all round string and will offer more control. As for tension I would also keep it around 22-23lbs. Best not to change too many things if you only have one racket and got tournaments coming up. I have the same racket as you but found the restring was a good improvement. You dont have to go higher just because you are changing string. Nothing wrong with a lowish tension.

17. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    Do you think I should wait to break the current stock strings of this racket or go ahead and restring? Is it much of a difference?

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Just get the restring.

I've never broken a string, and I don't know many people that have. Think I've only seen 3 or 4 snaps.

19. eric_h

eric_h New Member

Student
    Alright, right now I am so confused, getting mixed opinions on what string to get and tension. Maybe you can settle this for me. Lol

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I think the Nanogy 99 at 22-23 is a good call.

Because BG 80 is a thinner gauge, and because you won't be used to the higher tensions, I think BG80 at 23 would be a big jump in terms of hardness. I'm not sure how well BG80 plays at lower tensions.