Going to watch a big tournament for the first time, have some general questions

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by IvanT, Mar 3, 2015.

1. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, greetings to everyone on the BC forum!

So I will be going for the Malaysian Open 2015 tournament since it's in my home country and it will be held not too far from where I am located. Actually, it isn't my first time (like the title stated), I went for the Thomas Cup held here back in 2010 but I wasn't a fan of badminton back then and I can't really remember much from that day..

My main question here is what am I to expect if I want to get players' signatures / autographs or pictures?
    I plan to get the Premium seats which aren't free seating but numbered seating. I will be getting a Season pass, so I will go for the entire tournament from Qualifying rounds to the Finals. I don't know if I can choose the seats, etc so I need some advice on that as well to those who've been to BWF tournaments or even the Malaysian Open which is better.

What should I do/where should I go to get autographs/pictures of players? (Most importantly I want a picture with Lin Dan as well as his autograph! :D)

Here is the seating layout for the event.

1558792_997542_MMO_FLOOR_PLAN___TICKET_PRICE.jpg

Please share your stories and advice me guys (doesn't have to be just about getting autographs and pictures, anything else as well, thanks!)

#1 IvanT, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Pictures is more of a camera problem!

Depending on the lightning and your distance to the court, you will probably have to shoot with 1/1000s at 200mm, F2.8 at ISO2000 or something to get nice results.

Is your camera capable of that?

3. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear, I meant that I wanted to take pictures with the players haha not professional pictures of the matches and stuff.

4. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

I don't think you'll have any chance doing that in the arena. You could try to stalk him on his way boarding the bus back to his hotel after his game.
    I've seen Yoo YS munching a big burger at burger king in sg before his game last yr. Also the whole bus load of kor players waiting at the car park for their bus.

Good luck!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not in the arena itself. You might be able to get one as the players walk up to the players viewing area. That seating area usually restricted but just before they go in.

No burgerking in Malaysia, right?

Coach is a good one.

Good luck with trying to get one of Lin Dan - heard it is really difficult. Fu HaiFeng almost never took photos with fans.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back in Tianhe, Guangzhou many years ago, fans would hang out in the player/media entrance at the back of the stadium in order to get a glimpse of the players when they get off/on the bus. some might even be able to get a autograph or a photo.

however, usually the security is high there.

if you really want to get some better chance with the players, best is to hang out at the players' hotel. but there are also obvious security concerns there too. if you however, is a paid guest, you will even be able to have breakfast next table to them.

but as mentioned, the arena for sure will have fenced off player sitting area, you won't be allowed in.

7. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Could try to volunteer as a line judge. Can get so close to the players. Furthermore, can go autographs and selfies hunting while off duty in the players area.