Best easiest and safest method to remove grommets!!.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by sh_shashi1, Mar 9, 2015.

1. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I was recently pissed off by seeing that how stubborn grommets are and difficult to remove it without having some fancy costly remover . So I went to BC and did a search but every one has a specific grommet remover . I read that Kakinami used a serrated grommet grinder and a simple method appeared in my mind :D . What you need is some thin different sizes screw and a screw driver . Idea is to slightly turn a screw of appropriate size into grommet just enough to make the edges of screw cut into the grommet ( and not racket body ) and then pull of the screw with grommet attached just by hand or plier . It works like a charm for me . I just went to a hardware shop and asked for 3-4 pcs of all the thin sized screw and bingo!!. I will post pictures when I am in mood !! .

Happy Stringing !!

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I just use a single past grommet to push shared grommets outwards from the inner side of the frame until I can plier them out or just push it out completely. Single pass grommets are easy to remove of course.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Without a grommet tool, I cut the head off with a razor blade and then push the grommet into the frame. But after last week, I might just get the tool:).

4. sh_shashi1

Student
    The grommets give me a nightmare! Some times they are that much stubborn that they disintegrate but some part inside the hole still does not leave the frame . I now screw them deep so that the whole grommet from head to tip is attached to the screw's knurled edges and then pull them off . It gives me more satisfaction than a solid smash :D :D.

5. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Hey Mark, pray tell, what happened last week?

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

O/T: 174 recorded rackets, so probably 180+ counting ones we forgot to write down, and we reckon we lost at least ten rackets' worth of time to prep and grommet swapping. A 26 hr shift for me from Mon 5.30 till Tues 7.30; Paul carried on till midnight, and I got up at 1 am Weds to relieve him.

The volume was insane - at no point until Sunday morning did we completely clear the decks. Highest we saw were a couple of 34/35 - went through absolutely fine.

Back on topic:).

#6 Mark A, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Wow, sounds like you were busy then!

Prep time is always time consuming, and usually laborious, but always necessary!

8. sh_shashi1

Student
    Great Job Mark!! Grommet were provided to you by victor or your own or the players gave it to you . In any case the grommets were generic or victor ones and did you used shockless red ones for the BS series or the rackets were not having the shockless ones before hand ??

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Next year you should convince Victor to buy me the plane tickets and the transport for my machine and I'll come help out ;)