Custom switch for Wise 2086

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Chow Mein, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Made a new switch for my Wise 2086. Took an electronic switch, wired it to a mono audio cable, then created some parts to mount it to the original mounting holes, and allowing easy access and light action to activate the gripper pull. Works like a charm!

Have not used the optional foot pedal for a while now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I made a few more due to popular local demand.
    [​IMG]

#1 Chow Mein, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The connector for the rear switch/foot pedal looks like a standard 3.5 audio mini-jack. Convenient:D.

3. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

It's Plug and Play.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very nice!

how did you make that t-sectioned red piece?

5. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Designed the red pieces myself and 3D printed them with PLA filament.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

7. ritez

ritez New Member

This connector is really good and stable. I personally tested this piece and it really enhances the stringing process. The original button on the wise is small and it takes a bit of power to press it. However, since the connector is big and sensitive, you will string at a much faster pace without having to aim nor press on the button to activate the pulling. The foot pedal is nice as well however, since your feet is on a slanted pedal all the time, you might get really really tired. I would recommend people to try this piece as its really helpful and enhance a lot the stringing process

8. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Thanks for giving it some real-world abuse, glad to hear it held up without any problems.

Here's another closeup side view:

[​IMG]

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That looks superb. Great job. :)

If I had a WISE, I'd be asking you how much to buy one.

10. steven78

steven78 Regular Member

Are you making any to sell? :)

11. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

I have a bunch of parts coming in soon. I was thinking of making a limited run of these for BC users depending on demand. Price would be $30+5 for shipping (2-3 string jobs). I'd have to confirm shipping, will write a new post when things arrives.

12. steven78

steven78 Regular Member

I see some videos on YouTube where they have a screw and nut to the side of the gripper (into hole where adjustment screw is) and that holds the gripper in so that when the string is put through the gripper there is slight friction and when the switch is activated the string grips automatically without having to push the gripper in...
    Do you know what size of screw would be needed, do they use imperial or metric?
    Thanks

Steven

13. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

I have the exact same setup as you, the gamma x-stringer(drop weight) with Wise add-on(also Chudek supports)

I will definitely be interested in one!

14. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

I did this mod successfully, and contemplated including those parts with my custom switch as an optional feature to install, but I did not like it and removed it. Main reasons are:

I have 360 rotation so it becomes very difficult to get alot of the gripper on the string. I would manage to get 1/3 of the gripper (1/3 furthest from the racket head) on the strings.

I can post some instructions and details on how I did this mod if you like. It requires a certain size nut, with a groove cut on one side (to allow conventional use of the gripper if desired), then gluing it onto the gripper mechanism.

15. steven78

steven78 Regular Member

Thanks Chow Mein, I just strung my racquet using a modified version of the screw modification and used an elastic band adjusted so that I can just slide the string in and out easily, works perfectly :)

16. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

That's where this switch really complements that gripper mod/hack, once you slip the string through the semi-closed gripper just press it down onto the new switch flap to pull.

17. steven78

steven78 Regular Member

Yup :)
    Though after stringing racquet today I can see the benefit of a foot pedal as well... maybe good to have both options with some kind of splitter cable?

18. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Foot pedal is nice, but since I've installed my new switch, I no longer use the optional foot pedal. I find it more comfortable with my feet firmly planted on the floor, especially when standing for longer durations while stringing multiple racquets.

19. steven78

steven78 Regular Member

I would only use the foot pedal for releasing the string to save some time... maybe won't need once I re-position the tension head to be a bit closer... The drill holes on the adapter plate happened to match those on my base plate so not bothered drilling new holes yet but the current position is not optimal... It is slightly off centre and a bit far away...

20. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

More parts have arrived, started making the next batch. If interested, please post that you want one (i will message you with details), or send me a private message for details, or email me at (bigsmash at gmail.com)

Quantity will be limited, doing this in my spare time to help out the BC stringing community.

Cheers,
    Stan