Is it a fault if...?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Neil Nicholls, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I was watching a game between Peter Gade and Chen Hong when the following situation occurred.

In a net exchange Peter Gade played a net shot and the shuttle hit the tape. The base hit the tape, the feathers were up, but the shuttle did not cross the net. Chen Hong brushed the shuttle from the top of the net, hitting only the feathers and appearing to hit the shuttle before it had crossed the net. Peter appealed to the umpire that the shuttle had been hit before it crossed the net. The umpire awarded the point to Chen Hong.

What do you think shoiuld have happened?
    And do you need any more information to make your decision?

2. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    According to the rules, the initial point of hitting the shuttle should be on the hitter's side. That's all. There is no need for the whole shuttle to pass the net.

Therefore if Chen Hong waited until at least one peace of feather was on his side for the kill and he didn't touch the net, the umpire was right.

regards
    dzgdz

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    kewl. If that is true, then the rule of hitting the cork first only apply to serving. It make sense, i have seen many situation where the shuttle is push back down before the whole shuttle fly or roll over the tape. This does require very good touch since the risk of hitting tape with racket is high. I experienced an situation where i did that but the opponent claimed that i have touched the tape with my racket where it was really the shuttle hit the tape on my reply tap.

4. Neil Nicholls

I don't think any part of the shuttle crossed the net. The feathers were sticking up above the net on Gade's side.

5. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

In that case it should have been a fault. Have you got a video clip?

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    As long Chen Hong hit the shuttle on his side of the court, he is okay. The other thing to consider too is if the shuttle hit the tape and not go over, then play is considered dead so the point will go to Chen Hong anyhow.

Cooler, the rule of hitting cork first only apply to service. Introduced to prevent players from using the 'S' serve.

7. Neil Nicholls

Best I can do is some pics of the TV.
    From rewatching, I don't think Chen touched the shuttle, so the umpire was right.
    WWC brings up the point I alluded to in the first post.
    Law 15.2
    A shuttle is not in play when it strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker's side of the net.

If the shuttle had started to fall and Chen HAD hit it, it would not be a fault because the shuttle would not have been in play.

Whether or not it had started to fall would be a very difficult call for the umpire to make though.

Attached Files:

8. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    Hi what is the "S" serve? :)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

making the shuttle to flies like in a 'S' shape flight

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Search thread for "Sidek Serve", u will know. ;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

although fuzzy but they r good enough to see that no part of the shuttle likely went over the tape. It takes great finesse to have the racket glide over tape to catch the rolling shuttle but without touching the tape if the shuttle didnt get to the receiver side. Glad that the umpire took the right call. He look focused too.

12. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    The photos are great but anyway I think it is not clear enough to have a proper judgment. From that far even a really small angle of the camera towards the net may cause bad position. Only the umpire sitting exactly in line is able to have a proper view (assuming that he was ready).

But basing on what Neil written I can hardly believe that CH didn’t touch the shuttle or the net. Peter Gade wouldn’t complain about the decision if CH would have smash the air and shuttle didn’t pass the net simply because it was bad net drop delivered.

I don’t think that mentioned 15.2 rule was applied here by the umpire. If CH was able to hit/touch the feathers above the net it is unlikely that shuttle already “started to fall down”. It happens quite often that cork hits the tape, feathers go up and finally the shuttle passes the net. Maybe if CH didn’t executed his stroke PG would win the rally.

I feel that umpire’s decision was right.

regards,
    dzgdz