What is the best racket similar to Yonex Boron 2?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by StupidPig, Mar 12, 2015.

1. StupidPig

StupidPig New Member

Hi all experts,

I recently pick up badminton again, playing about once a week now. Twenty something years ago when I'm still in school, I'm lucky to have a friend who lend me a Boron-2 and I had a chance to play with it for a couple months. In my memory that's the best racket I played so far, among a couple different ones I and my friends owned.

I know that Boron-2 is no longer available now, and wondering what is the best racket I can buy (in reasonable price) now, which having similar characteristics?

Thanks.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The Boron-2 is not for playing! It's for admiring!

The Br2 is a classic and a sought after collectors racquet. Racquet technology has moved on quite a bit since then. The closest racquet to the Br2 I can think of is the Carbonex range. The Br2 is quite flexible by today's standard and is also the older 665mm length which is a bit shorter than the now conventional 675mm.

Go along to a racquet shop and see if they will allow you to test some of the racquets, even if it is just to swing about.

3. StupidPig

StupidPig New Member

Thanks for the insight. So, is that means if I like the feel of boron-2, I should looks for something with flexible shaft? Is it head heavy, balance, or head light? I don't really know the properties for Boron-2, it just all from my memory that I really feel good with it when I played 2x (or may be even 30) years ago. The problem I have is I don't really know any place to buy racket locally, and most likely I'll just order online, which means I don't have chance to try before buy.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not sure that something you used so long ago will be relevant now. If you had been playing continually for last 20years with it, that's different.

5. StupidPig

StupidPig New Member

Understand. My problem is I don't even know what I want, so rather than randomly pick one and turns out it's totally not my type, I could like to start with one which having similar properties as the one I tried (and like) before. :)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. Not very easy and when you get back into playing, your style and thus your preferences changes! My usual advice is to buy something midrange, then work out your baseline style and move on from that.

7. StupidPig

StupidPig New Member

OK, thanks for the suggestion.... time to search.... :)

BTW, do you happen to know what is the recommend tension for Aerotus 80 SP? I can't found any info, guess the model is too old. I found that in my closet, which I think I brought that long long time ago when I returned the Boron-2 to my friend. Pretty sure I don't like it as much when compare with the br2, but I guess I can give it a try. I probably need to restring it before I can use though, as I think it still on it's very first set of string.... about 2x years old. :)