Suggestions for Pros Pro Fixed Clamp Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by goku999, Mar 12, 2015.

1. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Any fellow stringers who started off with Pros-Pro fixed clamps (generation 2 without rubber handle) have decided to upgrade.

I am not talking about huge upgrade to the Gamma Fixed Clamps or the Toyos but somewhere in between that won't hurt the pocket too much?
    Must the Gamma Fixed Clamps and the Toyos be imported to the UK? There is no UK seller of these?

My requirement is that it fits a 12mm post and can handle thin string and slippery strings of tensions up to 35lbs with no problems. Not sure about delivery to the UK but it shouldn't be too much.

I can't imagine myself forking out £100 for one fixed clamp when I only string for friends and don't get near as many as a shop does. Anyone think this is a good investment?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 goku999, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In all honesty, the Pro's Pro universals are already the best you're going to get without moving up to Toyo's or Gammas - I've tried a fair few dedicated badminton clamps, but they never seem to get the tooth spacing right. Oddly.

3. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi Mark,

Is it the Gamma Universals MDSC's you using now or did you manage to get a get pair of Pros pro for your high tension stringing?

How would you rate the Gamma MDSC's? Good quality control from when they come out of the factory?

My machine came with two pro's pro universals, one can handle thin strings around 30, the other not so high and I want to reduce the change of having a not-so-well-made one.

4. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi Stealthking,

Thanks for your suggestion, they look similar to the superstringer ones from tennisman so I will add that into my list for consideration.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm still using the Pro's Pro. You've got to remember that they're technically tennis-ready, so our tensions in badminton should present no problem for them.

The Gammas are extremely well, made, second only to the Toyozouki's. It's just the question of whether the amateur/hobbyist needs them.

If you've got the ~$120 to spend getting a pair from China, I'd do it, personally - there's far less chance of getting an iffy one of those than an iffy Pro's Pro.