User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Ning
    Some players in my club have this kinf of habit :

When they did drop shot or net play, before I take the shuttle, their racket is ready to block at the net, so when I flick the shuttle, it touched their racket and bounce back to my court . they do it like they are playing volleyball. Is it legal to do that??
    It's definitely illegal. They have to wait until after you hit the birdie to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmashingBird
    I thought you can do whatever you want as long as your racquet don't cross the net.

I've also played with players who played a net shot too high and see their opponent coming to the net for a kill, they just kill the shot themselves so they wont get hit with the kill from the other guy.
    No, you can't do it even if your racket doesn't cross the net.

RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that plays badminton pm me ~_^
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So technically, I can't move my racquet after I hit a shot until the other person hits the bird?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup! But you can raise the racquet to protect yourself if you are infront of the netkill's path.

So technically, I can't move my racquet after I hit a shot until the other person hits the bird?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So say I smash, as soon as I hit the smash with the follow through, I have to keep my racquet down, I can't even bring it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by cappy75
    Yup! But you can raise the racquet to protect yourself if you are infront of the netkill's path.
    So what is the differenc? You play a net shot & your opponent do a net kill, your racquet was up:- protecting your face/ready to block/or just in a ready pose; the net kill bounce off your racquet and goes over the net. Your racquet was stationary.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So say I smash, as soon as I hit the smash with the follow through, I have to keep my racquet down, I can't even bring it up.
    Egads! No, that's totally wrong.

The ONLY circumstance in which you may not prepare your racket is when you would obstruct or distract an opponent. Realistically this does not often happen. There might be *some* occasions at the net where a player obstructs his opponent from playing a net kill, by placing his racket head in the path of the opponent's follow-through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw a similar case to this today.

Today, I was playing in the gym, and there was a Russian (I think ), who is playing at the court behind me. Man, he was very tall, I would say, at least 190cm tall. So, one rally was like, he was standing near the net doing the net shot, then, the other side hit it back really quick because the shot was too high. Then, the shuttle hit his shoulder (because he is so tall!) and bounced back to the other side!!

So, would that be considered a point? or should it be a let? or should it be a point lost?

He is obviously NOT blocking at all, but ......

That's just crazy!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he put the racket infront and just above the net, it just like the net now a few inches high, so when I did a lift the shuttle hit the racket and boucned back, it just happen less than a second after I hit the shuttle, how am I supposed to do another storke in such a short time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the tall russian's case, it would probably be a point lost, since it hit his body, and not the racket. The shuttle should hit the racket (actually the string of the racket if the rules have to be strictly followed i think) for the shot to be considered legal.

In the case of the net kill block, i agree with the guys who say that as long as you dont overreach or have ur racket cross the net, the shot or block or whatever u call it is legal. The defining point would be the overreach.

Thats just my humble 2 cents worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    I just saw a similar case to this today.

Today, I was playing in the gym, and there was a Russian (I think ), who is playing at the court behind me. Man, he was very tall, I would say, at least 190cm tall. So, one rally was like, he was standing near the net doing the net shot, then, the other side hit it back really quick because the shot was too high. Then, the shuttle hit his shoulder (because he is so tall!) and bounced back to the other side!!

So, would that be considered a point? or should it be a let? or should it be a point lost?

He is obviously NOT blocking at all, but ......

That's just crazy!!
    Thats not blocking, if you get hit by the shuttle you lose.

Blocking is like if you do a really good tumble drop and the shuttle is below the net and the other guy needs to do an upward pointing shot. Your racket shouldn't be anywhere near the net. If it is, its a fault.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nrlll9
    Thats not blocking, if you get hit by the shuttle you lose.

Blocking is like if you do a really good tumble drop and the shuttle is below the net and the other guy needs to do an upward pointing shot. Your racket shouldn't be anywhere near the net. If it is, its a fault.

Is this in the rule book somewhere, if it is, please show me.
    I've played with players who always put their racquet up near the net trying to block the net everytime they play a netshot. If it is true, then I get to win the point since its a fault.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the difference is whether you're actually running towards the shot to block it (distracting the opponent who's trying to make a delicate shot) or have not enough time to backup from the shot, thus made it necessary to defend yourself. Also it depends on how far you are from your opponent... obviously the closer to the opponent the more you'll distract/obstruct him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by wwcbro
    So what is the differenc? You play a net shot & your opponent do a net kill, your racquet was up:- protecting your face/ready to block/or just in a ready pose; the net kill bounce off your racquet and goes over the net. Your racquet was stationary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Ning
    he put the racket infront and just above the net, it just like the net now a few inches high, so when I did a lift the shuttle hit the racket and boucned back, it just happen less than a second after I hit the shuttle, how am I supposed to do another storke in such a short time?
    According to the Rules/Laws of Badminton, blocking the net is legal as long as you don't invade your opponent's courtside (13.4.2) or distract your opponent by shouting or making gestures (13.5) or obstruct an opponent, ie prevent an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net (13.4.4).

So, if your opponent's racket stays on his side of the court, it is legal the block your shot unless he obstructs your racket following the shuttle over the net. My understanding is that was not true in your case. The only thing you can do is look where his racket is positioned and hit the shuttle passed his racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. this is a useless tactics against professional player. But i admit i did that when playing with more amatuer player. just to scare them. I got a buddy last time who did something worse. he attempts net drop from back court and rushed right in front of the net to act a 'jump smash' action and scare the wits out of his opponent who dare not recieve his net drop. i was a victim too as it was really scary and i turned away. so is it a fault? guess he was just joking around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Z1985
    I got a buddy last time who did something worse. he attempts net drop from back court and rushed right in front of the net to act a 'jump smash' action and scare the wits out of his opponent who dare not recieve his net drop. i was a victim too as it was really scary and i turned away. so is it a fault? guess he was just joking around.
    If just a friendly social game, just draw some laugh, it's ok. Who cares about all the rulez, if ppl just come for fun?

For more competitive games, this is obviously a "distraction" to opponents. It should be ruled as a fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    If just a friendly social game, just draw some laugh, it's ok. Who cares about all the rulez, if ppl just come for fun?

For more competitive games, this is obviously a "distraction" to opponents. It should be ruled as a fault.
    I could have sworn, I saw some doubles player do that and they didn't call a fault for those. Like, it was dropped and the partner jumped up and smashed back the return.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast