User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's probably because it wasn't anywhere near the net. Smashing still requires a swing, so technically it's legal. Unless the contact is made before the birdie reached their side of the court, it's legal to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I could have sworn, I saw some doubles player do that and they didn't call a fault for those. Like, it was dropped and the partner jumped up and smashed back the return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Is This behaviour/Tactic Legal?

The opponent makes a drop shot, you got and start your lift, the opponent rushes you and holds his racket over the net waiting for your lift. ( his racket doesn't cross over the net.)

Another variation: the opponent rushes you and makes as if to smash you...

any comments appreciated.. because it is bugging the bloody hell out of me playing with people like this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way i look at it, it's legal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he makes contact while the shuttle is still on your side of the net, then its illegal. i see many people do this just to try to distract you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nrlll9

Blocking is like if you do a really good tumble drop and the shuttle is below the net and the other guy needs to do an upward pointing shot. Your racket shouldn't be anywhere near the net. If it is, its a fault.
    Exactly right, you must play a shot after he has made contact, not just leave your racket head stationery in the shuttles pathway

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't think this is a fault. It might be a bad technique, but it's not a fault. You can hold your racket wherever you want so long as you keep it on your side of the court, and you do not obstruct your opponent from making a shot.

If he's dumb enough to hit it right into your upheld racket, then that's his problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerry
    Exactly right, you must play a shot after he has made contact, not just leave your racket head stationery in the shuttles pathway
    which law is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marshall
    The rule actually is about obstructing an opponent's legal shot. And since the opponent's racquet can legally go over to your side of the net in the course of completing a stroke that hits the shuttle on his/her side, you are not allowed to hold your racquet in such a position that it would obstruct (or block) opponent's completing the stroke.

I have heard IBF-certified umpires make this interpretation: based on the above, if no opponent is close enough to the net to cross it w/ the racquet, it doesn't matter how close to the net you hold your racquet, because it's impossible that you are obstructing the opponent.
    with this interpretation, blocking is legal and illegal in different circumstances.

1) shuttle is below net height and you are blocking a lift
    legal (I've seen Gade do it and not be called a fault for it)

2) shuttle is above net height and you are blocking a net-kill
    illegal if you are close enough to obstruct the follow through
    legal if you are further away (but then you wouldn't be "blocking the net")
    (I can't remember ever seeing case 2 occur in a pro tournament)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blocked the net immediately after I flick served to Cappy75 last Saturday. Unfortunately I forgot to use my racquet and my head was the next closest thing . *BOINK* Cappy's smash went right off the top of my head hahaha~! I wasn't skilled enough to "head" the shuttle back over the net either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er... timeless, I don't think that was me. At least I don't recall you trying to block my smash.

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    I blocked the net immediately after I flick served to Cappy75 last Saturday. Unfortunately I forgot to use my racquet and my head was the next closest thing . *BOINK* Cappy's smash went right off the top of my head hahaha~! I wasn't skilled enough to "head" the shuttle back over the net either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    with this interpretation, blocking is legal and illegal in different circumstances.

1) shuttle is below net height and you are blocking a lift
    legal (I've seen Gade do it and not be called a fault for it) I presume all of his racket was on his side of the court.

2) shuttle is above net height and you are blocking a net-kill
    illegal if you are close enough to obstruct the follow through
    legal if you are further away (but then you wouldn't be "blocking the net")
    (I can't remember ever seeing case 2 occur in a pro tournament)
    Your interpretation seems correct after re-reading the rules but I've always believed and have seen it mentioned on this site within a news article by another coach that you have to actually play a shot, I don't feel that a stationary racket could be described as playing a shot but then again... ?
    I'm going on an umpires course shortly and will find it an interesting question to pose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Er... timeless, I don't think that was me. At least I don't recall you trying to block my smash.
    Do I see signs of "brain damage" for timelless now? As he started to mess up his memory now...

j/k...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your interpretation seems correct after re-reading the rules but I've always believed and have seen it mentioned on this site within a news article by another coach that you have to actually play a shot, I don't feel that a stationary racket could be described as playing a shot but then again... ?
    I'm going on an umpires course shortly and will find it an interesting question to pose.
    maybe people are mis-interpreting Law 10.2
    10. Singles
    10.2 the shuttle is hit alternately by the server and the receiver until a 'fault' is made or the shuttle ceases to be in play

If, instead of blocking the net, I have played a bad shot, hold the racquet up in front of my face to defend myself (not near the net), and the opponent hits the shuttle onto my racquet, and the shuttle bounces back over the net.

Would you consider the shuttle to still be in play?

You're opening quite a can of worms if you say that it doesn't count as having played a shot if the shuttle hits a racquet that is being held still.
    e.g. can your partner play a shot after the shuttle has bounced off your racquet?
    e.g.
    If I'm at the back and smash, the shuttle hits my partners racquet, (which he is holding still, not playing a shot) and goes over the net. Is that a fault? Only 1 person has "played a shot" so does it fall foul of 13.6.3
    it is a fauilt if, in play, the shuttle is hit by a player and the player's partner successively

it sounds extreme, but it is the ambiguity of the laws that gives rise to all these little nooks and crannies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    maybe people are mis-interpreting Law 10.2
    10. Singles
    10.2 the shuttle is hit alternately by the server and the receiver until a 'fault' is made or the shuttle ceases to be in play
    I don't see any connection with the above as that is only to do with serving.

If, instead of blocking the net, I have played a bad shot, hold the racquet up in front of my face to defend myself (not near the net), and the opponent hits the shuttle onto my racquet, and the shuttle bounces back over the net.

Would you consider the shuttle to still be in play? Of course

You're opening quite a can of worms if you say that it doesn't count as having played a shot if the shuttle hits a racquet that is being held still.
    e.g. can your partner play a shot after the shuttle has bounced off your racquet? You way off the mark here, we're only talking about the situation whereby if I play a tight net shot and then leave my racket at the top of the tape stationery thus making it nigh impossible for the opponant to reply.
    e.g.
    If I'm at the back and smash, the shuttle hits my partners racquet, (which he is holding still, not playing a shot) and goes over the net. Is that a fault? Only 1 person has "played a shot" so does it fall foul of 13.6.3
    it is a fauilt if, in play, the shuttle is hit by a player and the player's partner successively You've answered your own question here.

it sounds extreme, but it is the ambiguity of the laws that gives rise to all these little nooks and crannies.
    I've been playing 30 years and also coach at county level, I can honestly say that the few times that I've seen the situation I described happening, each time it's been called a fault, I've never argued with the umpire as it was also my understanding too. I conceded the point to you but please don't go to extremes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    cappy75, yes, that was you. I was holding my sides laughing like crazy when that happened. Lucky it scored through timeless' natural hair-parting

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I conceded the point to you but please don't go to extremes.
    OK. Better left for other borads...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems too much is left to interpretation... for example an opponent rushing the net and making as if to smash could or could not be interpreted as distracting the opponent.

Holding a stationary racket in front of the net as the opponent is lifting could also be intrepreted either way...

Which is way most of the interenational level players don't employ therse tatics?

What you think guys...

regards

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast