SP version vs Regular version

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lalanthier, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    Knowign that the SP lines are usually lower quality, (and are rumoured to be manufactured in Taiwan), what's the difference between an SP line and a racquet with a TW serial number? Knowing that TW means the racquet is destined for TW. So there should be a difference. But I haven't seen the TW model. So I don't know.

I mean I got my Ti-10 SP for a discount. But compare that to a TI-10, that has a serial number of TW, is it worth it to sell my old Ti-10 SP for that other one?

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    No, SP is NOT manufactured in Taiwan. As long as it's real, all Yonex racquets (except the low-ends) are made in Japan.

You can see more information by using search and readings from Q&A.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Some more spices added to this soup of controversy ;)

4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Yonex claim their racquet to be all identical quality no?

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I personally prefer TW just because I am from Taiwan (So I can get warranty)
    SP is fine, but it looks ugly (I don't like the "SP" printed on the shaft:mad: )

So, if I can get a TW, I will choose TW over SP. But since there are lots of rackets that are not available in TW, sometimes I have to get SP versions.

Performance wise, I think they are similar. Just the "SP" letters look ugly, and that's it.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    All Yonex racquets are of the same quality, that is if they are not fakes. Any premium you pay is market-driven, and has nothing to do with a better quality product. In fact, the hidden premium which buyers of Yonex racquets do not avail themselves of is to buy a racquet with a code that reflects the country where the racquet is officially destined for. This premium is the warranty. If I live in Hong Kong or Malaysia, I would not buy a non-SP Yonex racquet, because a non-SP Yonex racquet carries no warranty in these two countries. However, I would definitely consider buying a non-SP Yonex racquet, i.e. a CP, if the price is at a discount to the SP version to compensate for the loss of warranty. Ditto for TW racquets for people living in Taiwan.
    Now, if someone is able to sell you a Yonex racquet at a premium and the racquet carries no warranty, then this is probably a niche market for the seller. There is nothing wrong with that. After all, this is how a free market works. Another example of a niche market is to get a US$10 digital watch and sign an agreement with Harvard to have the university sell it, but with the Harvard logo on the watch, for US$100. The extra US$90 is the premium that Harvard commands. It has nothing to do with it being a better product. I am sure some of you are in business and have developed some niche markets for yourselves.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Nice speech! By the way. As in your say... there IS warrenty for SP rackets? :eek:

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

best is to ask warranty question from the store / person u bought equips from. Each store/seller has the right to deal with warranty issue as they please. We have seen owners in ontario sending racket to yonex directly.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Personally, I believe all yonex rackets should have the same quality.

2. I've seen JP/CN (rumor to be the top top quality ones) bite dust in short period of time. And I also saw TH/TW (rumor to be the cheap, suck quality ones) standing for years, after numerous of clashes and usage.

3. Racket breakage could be due to various of issues, manufacture defect is just a small percent. Storage, Delivery, Clash, Bump, Mis-hit, Poor string job, etc could all lead to racket breakage.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Sometimes sports stores or Yonex dealers are not too helpful in servicing your warranty claim, telling you some cock and bull stories about how tough and difficult it is to claim from Yonex. They would rather persuade you to get a new replacement racquet. I had an actual experience recently with a dented AT700-a result of too high tension and a not-tight enough hold-down-and the dealer gave me the same negative opinion. So I went straight to Yonex with my racquet and invoice, and lo and behold, I got a brand new replacement. Fortunately my AT700 is an SP version with the cone serial number ending with sp, as a non-SP racquet would not be entertained in this land of SP.
    The correct channel to use is of course your dealer, but if he is reluctant to do so you should go straight to Yonex, and don't forget to bring your invoice.

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    wow, that's amazing! :)
    I have questions for you though, since you live in HK, so I guess you probably went to the Yonex-HK office? :confused:
    As I know, racquets sell in HK will have "SP" on the shaft and "HK" on the cone (become what I would say, "SP-HK" serials), but since the one you have is a "SP-SP" racquet, they still give you the warranty??:confused:
    Or it's like, as long as there is a SP mark, then it is OK?

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

SP on the handle means the racquet is handled by Yonex's authorised distributor Sunrise (based in Singapore); and Sunrise services 12 countries in Asia. Don't ask me the 12 countries, because I don't know all of them, other than Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, Malaysia and Indonesia. One of the 12 countries belonging to the Sunrise group is Seth Company in Hong Kong, which is the very company that replaced my AT700. Seth company in Hong Kong did mention 3 conditions : racquet shaft must have SP, cone serial number must have suffix of sp or hk following serial number, and finally a Hong Kong invoice of one year or less showing proof that the racquet was actually bought in Hong Kong.
    The above applies only to Hong Kong. Other countries, even those under Sunrise, may have different policies. For example, Yonex China, which is not under the Sunrise group of companies, has a 3-month warranty instead of 12 months in Hong Kong.
    So, I cannot for the life of me understand why SP racquets do not command a premium in Hong Kong, as it should. Instead you have so called "superior" CN and CP racquets, whose wild claims are not backed by any authenticated certificate, and whose warranty (warranty, what warranty?) are backed by empty words, commanding hugh premiums.

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I see :)

I have lots of SP racquets in my personal collections...... some HK, some SP, some IP..... but anyway, they are all good :)

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

As you are living in the U.S., the SP racquets in your possession would not command a premium. In fact you should pay less than the equivalent one for the U.S. market, simply because of the lack of warranty.

15. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

Much needed test

Get an SP, CN and JP versions of the same Cab racket. Next remove all the grips and colours. Spray them all pink and try and convince yourself that they are actually all TH versions. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Some would consider the JP and CN, CP mark as a badge of honour. Spraying them to make them ordinary looking? That is preposterous, especially after paying an arm and a leg for them.

17. naikong

naikong Regular Member

:P
    How come?

Are TH Versions the Best? :cool:

18. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

No ...... blue is best :D :D :D

19. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

Diamond studded and mother of pearl

I hope Yonex don't go luxurious on rackets. I hate to think how much a diamond studded logo at the T-joint would costs, but then they can also have mother of pearl inlaid.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

exactly, i guess the cat is out of the bag now ;)