Part 2: Consistency & smashing the line in SINGLES

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viper_mav, Apr 23, 2004.

1. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

[Continuation of Part 1: How good is your SINGLES STRATEGY]

Many advanced players out there take into consideration their "margin of error" when placing their shots. For instance, if you are aiming down the line with a smash and you know your margin of error is plus/minus 6 inches - that is, you may hit the shuttle up to 6 inches left or right of of where you are aiming - it would be wise of you to aim at least 6 inches inside the line, such that you don't hit it out.

This concept of margin of error can also be used at the net. Rather than driving a shuttle exactly at net height, you may drive it 2 inches (or more)above the net because you know your margin of error when driving is plus/minus 2 inches.

Having said this, when smashing in doubles, there is little room to hit too far above the net. The reason is, your smash must be as steep as possible in doubles and a smash that is 3 inches or more above the net may end up as an opportunity for an advanced opponent.

My question out there for all you singles players is, when you're smashing down the line against your opponent, how far above the net do you aim? I ask this because when you're smashing down the line in singles, the objective is to get the shuttle "past" your opponent (as opposed to "through" your opponent in doubles). Is it a good idea in singles to trade off steepness for higher consistency on smashes down the line by aiming the shuttle slightly higher at the net?

viper_mav

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    there is no real answer, it depends what each player can do better. Steepness comes easy for tall player but much more harder and energy intensive (must jumpsmash) for shorter player. When u jumpsmash, consistency degrade even faster. Also, nice to excels in one of these BUT it has diminishing return if the opponents know u keep using one aspect of smashing.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Also when playing a tall player a steep smash can be effective, as their centre of gravity is higher, so have to reach lower, making recovery slower. If you do a flat smash to tall player, their reach may easily be able to reach it and drive back.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I gues it depends on the day itself.

Some days are good, some days are bad.

Good days, you can go for a smaller margin of error.

Bad days you have to increase the margin of error so that you do not give away easy points.

To be a good player, probably you can recognise these bad days. The solution is to be able to change your game so give away as least advantage to the opponent as possible.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I don't aim for a height above the net (on smashes or drops), just for somewhere in the opponents court. Maybe I should.

For trading off steepness for consistency, it also depends on how consistent your opponent is, and how much stamina you both have.

If you have more stamina, it may pay to increase the lenght of the rally.
    If your opponent makes more mistakes than you, it may pay to play safer shots.

6. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Hmmm. I don`t eventhink about the net. Its more another level of consciousness. I know where I am on the court, I know where the net is, I know where I want to hit the bird. From there on out, its just swinging the racket.

7. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    A little bit like made in japan here...

I aim for somewhere on the court, like for a clear... if I want to end the rally, maybe I will hit it more to the end of the court (opponent must not be ready)... and if I want to get the advantage, I will do a precise, steep, not so powerful smash down the line, just to unbalance him (not sure about unbalancing ;))