Travelling out of court during play

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ShuttlePower, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ShuttlePower

ShuttlePower Regular Member

Can a player travel out of court during play.. for example-: player tries to play a shot by going out of court. I don't know whether there is a rule for this but please help me.

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    as as I know, it isn't forbidden. I don't know the rule, bit I have seen players going out of the court to take a new racket because the one they are using is damaged and the play still goes on.

There is also examples on taking those dropshpts where the players run and stretch then roll over out of the court.

The play is still on in both cases

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's not forbidden. However, the shuttle must still pass over the net.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Except when there's no net by the side... ;)

5. ShuttlePower

thnqzz all for your help...!!

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Generally, players may not leave the court:

However, court is understood as meaning the immediate playing area (usually reaching a couple of meters around the actual boundary lines, but not the players' boxes). No umpire will fault a player moving behind the back line to jump into the shuttle or rolling out sideways during a dive.

Even for more serious infractions (like going to the coaches or players' boxes in between rallies), it's in the discretion of the umpire whether and how to sanction the player:

(emphasis and comment mine). Note that exchanging the racket is a special case; RTTO §3.5.4.2 goes on as follows:

So you can't take a bathroom break, go to your doctor, or give an interview during or in between rallies (apart from the intervals of course) while your doubles partner plays on. As long as you are playing Badminton, you are fine.

#6 phihag, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. ShuttlePower

thnkz #phihag

8. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Yes, can we clarify this? In tennis, using an angled shot, the opponent can be pushed so much out of the court side-wise, that he will attempt a straight return that travels outside of the net-posts. So in this case, the ball does not go over the net. In rare instances a point can be won using this "dream-shot".

I'm not sure if this scenario can happen in badminton because why would you return a shuttle that will land so obviously OUT, but if you wanted to, are you allowed to hit it outside of the net-posts but under net-height back in court? My guess is NO.

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member