Court colored clothes and racket allowed??

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by sh_shashi1, Mar 24, 2015.

1. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering if the player is allowed to don the outfit and racket/string as the same color as that of court to be a chameleon ?? Please pardon me if I sound naive or silly . :D

2. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

And paint the body with the same color? ;p

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't see why not... there are no laws against it afaik... some umpires may want to chime in here...

4. sh_shashi1

Student
    Painting the body will go far and definitely unusual . However player can wear full sleeves and full pants for the same .

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Better dress up all white so your opponents don't see the shuttle in fast flat exchanges...

Court color will be useless, for obvious reasons...

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

For international tournaments, the clothing is regulated by §§19-23 of the BWF General Competition Regulations. The racket, string, and grip color is not regulated, pick any you like. The only regulation for the color of the rest of the clothing (assuming it's single-colored) is that it should be different from your opponents in very high-level tournaments. National-level (and below) tournaments usually have comparable regulations.

However, any unusual clothing must be cleared with the referee. One of the umpire's duties is checking the player's clothing before the game. If the clothing is found questionable, the umpire will call the referee (at least in theory; in practice the player is often either sent to the referee or straight to the locker room).

I have never had an objectionable color (black / dark green umpire shirts would qualify, I guess). In virtually all cases here, objectionable clothing is either football shirts or very short / very long skirts / trousers.

I suspect that it's virtually impossible to truly blend in with the court (or, more importantly, the wall/stands behind the court) without metamaterials or screens. Even then, your head and arms will be quite visible.

If I were umpiring you, I'd suggest a very simple compromise: you can wear your court color clothing, but will have to comply with rule §13.4.4; If you move while wearing these clothes it's a fault.

7. sh_shashi1

Student
    Good point but I have faced difficulty playing players with green t shirts and was unable to gauge movement of player .

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

If that's the case, you should most definitely complain to the umpire/referee. What did they say?

9. sh_shashi1

Student
    It was recreational . :) I was just curious .

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I have an easier and much more effective idea. Take a scissor and just cut the bottom part of your pants, any color will do. Then wear it without underwear to your match. Guaranteed your opponent will be confused looking at multiple birdies.

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That's what I was told by one of my opponents, when I was wearing a white shirt and white shorts... :D

12. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I already played a tournament in nearly completely white clothes. White shoes, white socks, white short and a white shirt (with a little bit of light blue in it). My opponent told me he isn't really happy about the color of my clothes but he wasn't able to explain me where I broke a rule or anything.

I remember that at the beginning of badminton it was only allowed to play in White clothes, as it was done for Tennis.

Is there any special rule for completely white clothes?

13. phihag

phihag Regular Member

No, there is not. However, each tournament adds additional regulationset by the referee of the tournament. These usually do include restrictions on clothing, but in low-level tournaments usually only on the Badminton-worthiness and advertisement sizes, not colors.

In addition, the referee can decide this kind of dispute on the spot; Even if there are no written limits, the referee can forbid distracting clothing. So if your opponent really meant it, they should have complained to the umpire, who will then call upon the referee if it's a borderline case.