Replacing Prince Axis 80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by PaganRuler, Mar 30, 2015.

1. PaganRuler

PaganRuler New Member

Hi,

Just back into badminton after 15 years out. I got two of these Axis 80 rackets in about 94/95 when I was sponsored by Prince.

What is a good modern racquet?

I am happy returning a wave of smashes and playing little net shots but I also like a strong finishing smash.

I'm so out of touch, any info would be helpful.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    This is super vague. Are you looking for high flexibility? What balance are you looking for?

If you don't know stuff like that, the Arcsaber 11 or i-Slash would probably do you well. They're well balanced racquets. As you've been out of the game for a while, and are therefore not used to the isometric shape and such, I think pretty much anything in the mid range will do you just fine.

3. PaganRuler

PaganRuler New Member

Yeah I guess it's a bit vague. I suppose it's because through my whole career I've only played with the Prince ones and their odd shaped heads. I guess I'm more of a defensive player. I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned.

4. PaganRuler

PaganRuler New Member

I've never even heard of that brand. I'm waiting on a couple of demo units to come in stock at my shop. Had a quick play with the GlanZ and was amazed how slow it felt through the air.

5. Prinz Achse

Prinz Achse New Member

Hi PaganRuler, do your Axis rackets still exist?
    I’m one of the few people who think that there were never produced better rackets than the one-piece Prince Axis range from 1991 to 1994/5 (65/68/70/75/80/90).
    I’m still using these rackets rather than any other but they’ve become rare, although they’re nearly indestructible! No problem to put 26lbs or even more on the strings and I never felt a lack of control.
    If you’ve been sponsored by Prince, what’s your opinion/experience? And do you still own any promotional material of that period? I’m really interested in …

6. PaganRuler

PaganRuler New Member

Yes I've still got the pair of 80s I was given back then. Unfortunately I don't have anything from back then really as I was only in my teens and didn't think to keep anything. As this season went on and I tried other people's Yonex racquets at my club I've decided that nothing is better than them.