could you beat a pro women's doubles team?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Mar 30, 2015.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I wonder if I could.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The first question you must answer honestly is:
    Can you beat all the women in your own club? City? :eek:

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Post a video of yourself and I can tell you if you could...

4. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Unless you are a very top player in BC the answer is flat no. If you are a very top player in BC you may stand a chance. But I'm would still bet no.

5. |_Footwork_|

Another question is:
    What is considered a "pro player".

Actually, only very few players are really pros in the sense that they solely make their living from playing badminton!

In European countries, the top players are really (part time) students, that have to cover the costs from badminton by other sources (jobs, parents, sometimes government) but do not actually make money by playing badminton.
    In other words:
    A BWF100 ranked ladies doubles does not make money playing tournaments.
    Hardly anyone in this forum will beat a "real pro female player", i.e. a top-10 doubles pair.
    More players will be able to beat a, say, top100 or 200 pair.

But anyways, we will not be able to judge whether the OP can beat any of these without a video of him playing...

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I do think a lot of club players massively underestimate the skill (and fitness) gap between an average male club player and professional female players -- nevermind the top 10, who will take you apart in their sleep.

It's quite funny to watch on the rare occasion you get to see them play a few singles rallies at a coaches' conference or something. :D

I had some fun once in a two-versus-one attacking exercise against Gail Emms, who was on the half-court. We were not allowed to play clears on account of her being pregnant. :D I think I got one smash past her (probably the baby kicked), but most of the time she just made us look pretty silly.

And then there was all-out half-court singles attack, just me, against Lee Young-suk, who was defending. It was like hitting against a wall. A wall with a big friendly smile attached to it, but still a wall.

#6 Gollum, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. |_Footwork_|

Judging only by the questions the OP asks on this forum, he will not have a chance against any BWF ranked ladies doubles.

I would furthermore make the claim, that IF you are able to beat a, say, BWF100 female pair, you will know it and not have to ask here on the forum.
    So chances are high, that if you have to raise this question here, they will beat you.

8. adidascanada

Totally agree!!!!!

9. RuSSy

RuSSy Regular Member

Student
    I Had chance to play with retired female single player (Korean national player). she is around 30 years old.. she is superb within club men..
    Just ex-elite male players(eg. stopped at 16~17years old) can tight game with her

10. |_Footwork_|

Again, first we have to make clear what a "female pro player" is!

There's a HUGE skill gap between an average , say, BWF-150ish ranked doubles team and a top-ten pair.

Whereas the former will probably be within reach for some guys around here, the latter will probably be not!

11. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Why would anyone want to beat a woman?

12. |_Footwork_|

You're not married?

(just kidding...;-))

13. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    What would you gain after beating her.

14. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

If you are just a club player, there is near zero probability that you would come close to beating a top 20 world ranked ladies SINGLES player. Many do not realise the significant gap between a world top 20 singles player and club players especially in terms of fitness, footwork and shot production.

In terms of DOUBLES, the gap might be a little closer, but most club players would still struggle against the ladies top 20 world ranked players.

And lastly but most importantly (as already mentioned by other posts here), if you're asking the question, then the answer is probably NO you are not likely to beat the pro women's at doubles

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

More like impassable abyss. :D

#15 Gollum, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I had a sparring session with a ladies singles player who was playing the international challenge tournaments. I was training quite actively then. We had a tough match against each other. It was a very interesting exercise because against her, from certain positions, I could only hit consistently good shots shots to one or two areas of the court. Against lesser players, I would be able to hit to three or four areas and able to introduce more variation. She had the same problem as me - I noticed her tending to be limited to less variety of shots. At that time, she was ranked at about 200 in the world.

Most club players would struggle significantly and then lose to the top twenty. If you go down to ranked 50-100, that's probably more realistic but we are talking about guys who train, and have good understanding of footwork, rotation, shot production - not just power.

The best answer!

17. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

:D Well OK!..... LOL.... I was trying to be nice....

18. |_Footwork_|

As the OP is from Canada, I would maybe put it this way:

What do you guys think: How many male singles players in Canada can beat a top-20 female singles player?

I would dare to say you can count them on your two hands...

Things dramatically change, if you go down to an average 200-ranked female player.
    They are of course strong enough for any club-player that is hitting around shuttles twice a week, but are beaten by talented guys that take the sport seriously.

19. adidascanada

Sadly, I think you are pretty close to correct but we may have enough for fingers and toes.... :p

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I guess that OP thinks that he has a thunderous smash and can make points with ease. Forget it. You will have no chance to beat them. I think that even Michelle Li and Rachel Honderich (123) will make you and your partner look like old fatty man. Try it it's not a big travel. Please record it and upload it here. We love to laugh at you.