Should I restring

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by GabrielSilva, Apr 1, 2015.

1. GabrielSilva

GabrielSilva Regular Member

Student
    Recently (3 months ago) I bought this Yonex Voltric Zeus (similar to the VT-D39). Yesterday during a training (backhand smash) it crashed against a window, the glass broke, and the strings were cut. To my amazement the head was intact unless for some cracks on the top part.

http://i.imgur.com/sJkdt6D.jpg

From the first time I tried it on the court I was thinking of restringing it for I felt that the tension was too low.
    With this racquet came a BG-85 string, but a friend of mine reccomended a Nanogy-95.
    I think of restringing it on 29 lbs.

What do you think? Should I buy that Nanogy string or go with the BG-85, and should I restring it with such high tension, considering the head is slightly damaged?

Thank you for the time.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Think of it this way: what use is the racket if you don't string it?

You can

a) leave it alone, and buy a new racket, or
    b) try and string it.

Go with a) and you are guaranteed to be out of pocket; go with b), and you only might be:).

3. GabrielSilva

Student
    Good logic. Unfortunately, I borrowed my other two rackets to a friend and I need this one to a tournament. I think I may go restring it with that BG-85 at a "safe" tension.

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The tension is all your preference, so I'll leave that out. If your strings are cut (your stringbed is no longer whole) then definitely cut your strings and get it restrung. If your strings have little cuts on them (the stringbed is intact), I wouldn't necessarily restring. I'll assume the string is broken. Depending on the size of the cracks, I have had rackets that I am uneasy tensioning at even 24 pounds. I need a picture to give advice.

5. GabrielSilva

Student
    I think I left a link on the post. Yes the strings are broken, so restringing will be necessary, my main issue is the tension, for the head of the racket has small cracks on it.

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    The VT Zeus is a low end racket, while you could probably have it strung it at 28lbs, it is not recommended. I think the recommended tension for that racket is 24lbs.

29lbs is quite high, I'd only recommend this kind of tension for very advanced players (usually national calibre players). It is up to you to judge if that fits your level or not.

7. GabrielSilva

Student
    Well I expect to be on the Portuguese Junior nationals this year. But you´re right, 29 is really quite a lot, even with the standard tension my arm would start to hurt, because of the balance on the tip of the head.
    I knew this racket was low-end, I actually bought it for my brother, but it really surprised me and I kept it for me. Gave my armortec to him.

Thanks for the advice, think i´ll go for the BG-85 at 24lbs.

#7 GabrielSilva, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I had one to string this week and I must admit that I was impressed by the quality of the racket (paint, details, features). It definitely seems better than most random named exclusive rackets that are usually available.

9. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Sorry, I didn't see the link. Those are minor dents (in MY experience). I strung a similar Muscle Power 7 at 28x30, without any problems. If you can handle this tension, and like it most this way, then use that tension.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very reasonable. I would also be concerned about unseen internal damage. So the racquet frame will not be able to withstand 29lbs for too long. 24lbs will see the racquet last longer. You would want to minimise the chance of it breaking just before, or during your important tournament.

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I strung a Zeus 24x26 a few weeks ago. It has a really slim frame profile. I was sceptical but I think it can take a bit more, but not a few lbs. I think a high tension without some spares is a bad idea for a tournament.