Think before you write

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by Cheung, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Refer to post #629. People have short memories

Warning

As a general note on forum policy,

- no religion
    - no politics
    - no racism

Thank You!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    requoted in here in case some are lazy as well:

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    There is absolutely no reason for the following words appearing in SN thread, ie:WWII Japan, scars of history. Can we mention Britain, colony, Gandhi in SN thread? This is a badminton Forum, please refrain yourself from saying anything other than badminton.

4. Airos

Airos Regular Member

BTW, Thanks for re-opening this thread.

OK, but it would be more helpful if the exact quotes violating the rules are pointed out (as examples).
    That would give a clearer picture of exactly what kind of things are not allowed.
    Just like the saying goes: one man's terrorist is another's freedom-fighter. Similarly, what exactly was offensive may be subjective. So hightlighting the faulty remarks as an example might help.

Also, I would like to make a few points.

1> Let's say I remain clean from my side and some other people misbehaves. Why should my favourite thread be closed because of their behavior?
    Why should I suffer because of them?

2> I wish the provocative remarks are also noted.

Summary: My advice will be to EDIT/REMOVE the particular offensive posts, rather than lock the whole thread. Lock whole threads only if the original poster is at fault.

Simeon likes this.
  5. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Seriously you guys need to chill. I mean, can we stop the one nation vs the other one let's see who dominate sort of "discussion" already? Indonesia, Korea, Denmark, China, Japan and the used to be powerhouse Malaysia had been powerhouses for like forever and the fans don't say let's see who would dominate whenever the players from these countries meet. Is it that important? Can one match really show the domination of one country over another? Are you so desperate that you have to do this at every single freaking stage of every single freaking tournament? Stop already. I'm tired of seeing threads after threads being closed because of this sort of nonsense.

Furthermore, the players are individuals, they are themselves, not the countries they represent. It's one player vs another player, not one country vs another. If you really love badminton, nationality should not be an issue. You of course can support the player representing your country but there's a limit to everything. This useless, pointless, time wasting type of argument is getting annoying and out of hand. Just stop already. Seriously guys, please stop. If you don't have anything else to say other than this, just shut up.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The post from doantrum explains a lot.

Particularly relevant is this:

"Are you so desperate that you have to do this at every single freaking stage of every single freaking tournament? Stop already. I'm tired of seeing threads after threads being closed because of this sort of nonsense."

The point of moderation is not to micromanage people's comments. A forum is not a nanny state. If you see a comment that is going off track or the thread diverging, you yourself can help direct other posters back on track.

If other posters are spoiling the thread, please ask those people to calm down. They have an excellent command of English and therefore should be able to have the insight which of their remarks are provocative.

As a last note, beware of comments such as "did you fight back", "favourites are being played", "the moderators play favourites". Think very carefully about these comments. Are those comments helpful? Are they designed to disrupt people's emotions or calm things down? The posts that you make on the forum are recorded and can be reviewed. A person who posts calm, collected, analytical and insightful posts will always be viewed more favourably than the person who shouts, has illogical inferences, brings in politics, bigotism and prejudice.

We have seen other badminton forums become extinct because of poor quality postings. Fortunately, this one has survived the years to contribute to the badminton community. Please also contribute to make badminton grow.

So have a quick think before you write, or help other posters to think about what they write.

Thank you

Mods

#6 Cheung, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Simeon, LenaicM and necrohiero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.