Help me pick a cheap light racket for a beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Chofiey, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Chofiey

Chofiey Regular Member

Hello people!! Im a beginner and this is my first time posting here :DDD
    So i started playing badminton for leisure around 7 years or ago... with those cheap brandless rackets :p But last year, after finishing school, i really got interested in badminton and bought my first branded racket - a beginner's one though (an arcsaber 001).
    I liked it a lot and played badminton for like twice a week. Then i got to know this old uncle who was a badminton coach. He got both versions of the voltric 80. He had lots of rackets and was letting go of the 4u version.
    Well i cannot describe how happy i was when i bought it, it was my first high end racket!! But then i started playing with it....
    After seeing so many people giving good reviews of the voltric 80 i was expecting to play better with it.. how wrong was i.
    It was heavy and i got tired after a short while. Its strange that i preferred my cheap low end arcsaber (still with the factory string) to the voltric 80, strung at 26 lbs. I rarely missed dropshots with the arcsaber and i like smashed better with it too. The only downside is that it lacks power and face difficulties to clear to the back court from my own backline.

I dont know, i guess its true when people say certain rackets are designed only for professionals and vice versa.
    Sometimes when i hit the shuttle with the voltric 80 it gives this awesome explosive sound.. like ermm .. thunder?? Its cool but i think i'll stick to my arcsaber.

I know its probably because of my lack of skills that i cannot handle the voltric 80. I dont know.. maybe its also because the arcsaber is my first racket and i became too attached to it?
    I guess i prefer lighter rackets. Thats why the next racket im gonna buy will have to be a very light one.
    Can anybody recconmend a cheap beginners racket thats very light? I also saw this ashaway superlight 6 (5u) going for 40sgd. Is it good value for money?or are there any better light rackets that i can get for cheaper.
    P.s. Does anyone here felt the same way with their first rackets? I know my arcsaber 001 is going to stay for quite some time with me :D

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that you changed too much variables. Coming from a flexy even balanced racket with 18lbs, to a mid stiff and heavy racket with 26lbs is the highest jump you can do. I wouldn't buy a different racket. Give the Voltric a second try and go for a restring. 20lbs should be fine. I recommend BG80 Power. 26 are way tou much for you.

3. Chofiey

Chofiey Regular Member

Now that you've mentioned it, i realised the big mistake i did. Hahaha the heck was i thinking?
    Think i will restring both to 20lbs. Anyway, what cheap and headlight racket do you reconmend i get? Since i already have a heavy and even balanced one, i think i should try a lighter one to see which one suits me well

4. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

If u want to further ur experience, u ought to try even balance, medium stiff racket... one such racket that works well for me n many others is Victor BS12.

5. Chofiey

Chofiey Regular Member

Thank you for your replies guys!!
    I think like you said, i wont buy a new racket for now... just try different string tensions.
    Ya i've heard well of victor rackets. Will try it out in the future when i can play better

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I found the super light ones don't have enough weight to them for good clears or powerful smashes. I really think head heavy are becoming more and more favourable because they play as well if not better all round - especially for trained players.

Going from even balance to head heavy will take some time to transition. The swing time is different, but that racket is very good. It's worth trying it out.

7. the_cutter

the_cutter Regular Member

Give the Voltric 80 another go after restring. I'm beginner-level playing mostly doubles and seldom singles. I used to play more than 10 years ago with an even balanced racket (a factory-strung Wilson circa 2003) and got a 4U VT80 late last year when I started playing again. At first, I had a difficult time adjusting due to the balance and my personal fitness (mostly due to this). But after sticking to it for a couple of weeks, I realized I didn't want to play with my old racket and preferred the VT80. I got another VT80 in 3U which I use at the start of my games, then switch to the 4U when I get tired. Baseline clears are easy. Net play is fine. I do encounter some difficulty against lighter rackets during drives. When I get that rare chance to smash and manage to pull it off, it's sweet. One time I got an Arcsaber 8DX, but decided to sell it because I currently preferred the head heavy VT80. Although I'm thinking of getting a 4U Victor JJS which happened to be available.

8. Newbie_freak

Newbie_freak Regular Member

Student
    i gt a Yonex Arc Saber 6 strung at 24lbs. used. 1chipped and a little very light scratches.

i bet it will suit ur taste! very very light.

i live in SG. if interested do tell me thanks! :)

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's a bad attitude to offer your unloved racket to a person who just asked for a recommendation with the promise that it will suit him. We have a BUY/SELL section. Try your luck there but stop to be brash.

10. Newbie_freak

Student
    i just asking if he wants it dude. if nope its alright.. and he wants a light racket so i recommend mine lorh -.-"

11. Chofiey

Chofiey Regular Member

Im not buying anymore new rackets for the time being.... wanna try out different strings at different tensions

12. Newbie_freak

Student
    okay sure. thanks anw! :D