LCD TV features for watching badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    When purchasing a LCD/LED TV, what features should we as badminton fans pay attention to?

resolution: at least 1920 x 1080? 4k?

refresh rate: at least 100 Hz?

CCFL vs LED?

should we care about 3D?

2. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

Refresh rate is quite important, Nearly all Tv's are 3D now but it's nothing to be concerned with imo. Full HD is a must and 4K is fast becoming the next big thing even though there is not much 4K content at this moment. Ideally you want as little motion blur as possible.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The most important feature is finding out if it has been reviewed. Specs mean nothing ...
    But at least you can count on active 3D models being native 100Hz models.

Useful sites:

CCFL is dead btw :D

4. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    I second the recommendation of www.hdtvtest.co.uk ; it's by far the most intelligently written source.
    But I think the emphasis on refresh rate is not warranted - my new screen with 800 hz is no better than
    my other one with 100 hz ( both Sony ).
    What is important, I think, is size. On a 40" screen badminton just looks like people waving their arms about for no
    particular reason. Move up to 65" and it starts to become possible to pick out details on racquets and shoes.
    You can even see the deterioration of shuttle feathers. All this pre supposes an hd source of course , and here in
    the UK youtube ' quality ' varies from just tolerable to simply unwatcable. And here lies the heart of the problem ;
    that big screen will look worse than than the smaller one when fed the typical compressed and bandwidth limited
    streamed rubbish. Stuff via satellite ( Sky in the UK ) is generally much better,
    So the quality of your signal source is really the limiting factor in screen choice, but I would urge you to get the
    biggest thing you can afford .

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks.

sometimes I find watching badminton on the good old CRT tv is better than LCD/LED TV.

does anyone else have this experience?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Not everyone is susceptible to the motion blur in sports caused by slow LCD refresh rates.

I notice it, that's why I have a plasma TV. :)

Best for you to go to the store to check out sports or fast action on the TV to see whether it's fine for you. But you should probably aim for high LCD refresh rates of 200-240 Hz.

7. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    Yes, in a sense the small CRT looks 'better' with pixel - starved standard def material ; even VHS tape can be watchable on it if
    you're really desperate. The technology is much kinder to what we now class as 'poor' quality sources. But how you can get any pleasure from watching badminton on such small screens is beyond me..... you really can't see anything.
    The other thing you are missing is colour. CRT sets only give a fraction of the many different shades possible. It was the most staggering improvement when I went from CRT to plasma - I had no idea there could be so many shades of blue and particularly green.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It is not the refresh rate but the pixel response time that causes blur (to put it simplistically, the link breaks it down further). Plasma refresh rate is a made up number (at least in terms of what the LCD refresh rate stands for), but they are still the best for sports (not that I would go out and buy a low end one ;)), and native 200/240Hz are close to dead nowadays (redundant) so this is where the rtings website I linked to comes in handy. See this link http://www.rtings.com/info/motion-blur-tvs

But as nsw56 rightly points out, a good source signal is the most important aspect.

#8 demolidor, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton broadcast itself isn't that great to begin with.

low HD (720p) broadcast from youtube with high compression / high noise isn't going to look good in any TV sets.

something that i found useful, however, is that some TV (the one i saw was Samsung) has Chromecast support. which allows directly live streaming from BWF youtube channels.

but even that is not required as a chromecast is only US$35.

besides that, it is useful to get a nice TV for other purposes. most people keep TV for many years and it is better to get the latest specs, ie. 4k / 3D / high refresh rate because soon we will see more of those materials from other TV sources like netflix/youtube, etc.

but probably not badminton.